Is getting banned all that bad for the players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let's say they take a 2-year ban. They get to sue Essendon for an early retirement, which I cannot see them losing. They will have the public's full sympathy, nobody will seriously regard them as cheats. And if they really feel like kicking a football they will probably get picked up two year later. Doesn't sound all that bad to me.

Let's say they take a 2-year ban. They get to sue Essendon for an early retirement, which I cannot see them losing. They will have the public's full sympathy, nobody will seriously regard them as cheats. And if they really feel like kicking a football they will probably get picked up two year later. Doesn't sound all that bad to me.
your assumption is the players were duped, right?

Amusing thread.

Interestingly, despite plenty of evidence that they took two prohibited substances, the cronulla players were able to wrangle a 3 week holiday at the end of last season, and they are already back in action, getting ready for a new season, with not the slightest bit of harm.

How many years through the courts if the players sue Essendon?

Will the records show up down the track signed off by the players?

Many, many questions to be asked.

Amusing thread.

Interestingly, despite plenty of evidence that they took two prohibited substances, the cronulla players were able to wrangle a 3 week holiday at the end of last season, and they are already back in action, getting ready for a new season, with not the slightest bit of harm.
It's amazing how stupid EFC players are not to have bargained for a plea deal. This would've been over 2 years ago.

It's amazing how stupid EFC players are not to have bargained for a plea deal. This would've been over 2 years ago.

Wasn't the AFL approach diametrically opposed to the NRL's "do nothing" approach?

Didn't the AFL try and "manage" the situation from the very start?

Wasn't it AD that encouraged Evans to publicly invite ASADA in? (once again, very different to the Cronulla/NRL approach)

If the EFC players remain adamant that they took nothing prohibited, why would they want to go down the Cronulla route?

If the players cop two year bans it would shatter them. They grew up with the dream of playing AFL footy, full 2 year bans would end a lot of careers and those dreams. The fringe players wouldn't get picked up again, neither would guys nearing 30. Young guns under 25 probably would, but for a lot of them it would ruin their careers, not to mention reputations.

That being said, they're not going to be copping full 2 year bans.

Amusing thread.

Amusing post.

Interestingly, the Essendon scenario is nothing like the Cronulla one.

I'll casually lob this spanner in there....

... the players can't sue Essendon because the club can hide behind the AFL Anti-Doping Code (which all players are contractually bound to) which says that the ultimate responsibility for what goes into the players' bodies rests with the players. The club can use the code as a defence against the players.

Amusing thread.

How about sticking to the topic for a change, Cronulla has nothing whatsoever to do with Essendon.

I can understand the players suing the club for any health repercussions, which is totally understandable, but where do they stand on suing for suspensions given the outcome was actually within their hands?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand the players suing the club for any health repercussions, which is totally understandable, but where do they stand on suing for suspensions given the outcome was actually within their hands?
Depends on the advice they got from Doc Reid. If he gave them the ok that the substance wasn't banned so they took it and then later found out that it was, they can argue that they did what the AFL anti doping code expects them to do. In that case they can sue Doc Reid and Essendon.

... the players can't sue Essendon because the club can hide behind the AFL Anti-Doping Code (which all players are contractually bound to) which says that the ultimate responsibility for what goes into the players' bodies rests with the players. The club can use the code as a defence against the players.

The players consents may help them somewhat, some fault must lie with both players and club could effect payout size?

Depends on the advice they got from Doc Reid. If he gave them the ok that the substance wasn't banned so they took it and then later found out that it was, they can argue that they did what the AFL anti doping code expects them to do. In that case they can sue Doc Reid and Essendon.
agree, but id be amazed if Doc Reid okd 'thymosin'. However if the club told the players that he did ok it this could get very messy

Unsafe workplace.

As a doping case, yes the ultimate responsibility rests with the player, that's why they're getting banned. But as occupational health and safety case, I don't think workcover gives a damn about the anti-doping code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back