Is getting banned all that bad for the players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can guarantee the AFL and Essendon will get together to make sure players never make it to court. It is only money after all.

This is the type of case where the odd player will probably at the completion of their careers.

Is getting banned bad for the players? Well yes, but how bad depends on where you are in your career and how long the ban is for. (May also have an extra impact for Jobe W if the brownlow gets rubbed out).

Just as an aside...I wonder if Mitchell and Cotchin would have a case for suing EFC & Jobe over lost earnings/reputation through being 'cheated' out of a Brownlow (even if they get one retrospectively, they wont get quite the same level of recognition/extra earnings). I doubt either would try (I think they've both said they wont accept a Brownlow that way), but as we're talking about lawsuits and effects on reputations...

Jon Pierik in today's Age suggesting 4 months suspension in competition this year

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ssendon-supplements-saga-20150131-132ndc.html

If players are banned, and some followers of the case are suggesting penalties could be for up to four months of the season, the Bombers must determine whether the club can truly move on if Hird remains. There is likely to be legal reprise by the players as well.

Would it be the support staff they go after?

Firstly they have no money and secondly, as I noted what seemed like eons ago, the single biggest mistake that Hird made was to bring it all in house.

The players will be gunning for the club as it was the entity which organised the program, and, its got money.
Legally speaking it would be an awesome case - no idea what would happen and it is really hard for us to know what the exact facts are anyway at this time. But yeah of course they'll sue the club rather than non cashed up entities. The club will counter sue the support staff. Etc etc. Then there's the whole suing the AFL for not holding Hirdy's hand hard enough case (which is a joke). Oh my ...

Last edited:
Just as an aside...I wonder if Mitchell and Cotchin would have a case for suing EFC & Jobe over lost earnings/reputation through being 'cheated' out of a Brownlow (even if they get one retrospectively, they wont get quite the same level of recognition/extra earnings). I doubt either would try (I think they've both said they wont accept a Brownlow that way), but as we're talking about lawsuits and effects on reputations...

Clutching at straws mate, they're both gun players and everyone knows it so nothing to see here.

Clutching at straws mate, they're both gun players and everyone knows it so nothing to see here.

Plenty of players have bonus payments built into their contract for All Australian selection, top five, top three, winning of the best and fairest, brownlow medal etc.

It could have cost Sam and Trent a fair whack of cash.

I can understand the players suing the club for any health repercussions, which is totally understandable, but where do they stand on suing for suspensions given the outcome was actually within their hands?

The presence of contributory negligence does not remove the possibility of successful legal action.

True story. Guy walks into a pub in Brisbane, pissed as. Barman refuses service because he's intoxicated and asks him to leave the premises. Drunk walks out the door onto the road and gets hit by a car, causing serious injury.

The drunk not only received compensation through the transport accident system. He also got a large judgement out of the pub on the grounds that they had failed to properly safeguard a patron. From memory, this sum was reduced by 35% taking into account the drunk's contribution to the incident.

Jon Pierik in today's Age suggesting 4 months suspension in competition this year

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ssendon-supplements-saga-20150131-132ndc.html

If players are banned, and some followers of the case are suggesting penalties could be for up to four months of the season, the Bombers must determine whether the club can truly move on if Hird remains. There is likely to be legal reprise by the players as well.
Wishful thinking is all it is, it's going to be either 0 or nov 2014-nov 2015 or nov 2014-nov 2016

4 months is a hefty slab of games. It wipes Essendon out for pretty much the season as they'll be on the end of 15 goal beltings in that time, and then there's the undoubted threat of court proceedings in the months and years post suspensions.

I'm not sure how players getting banned could be looked upon as anything but disastrous for both themselves and the EFC.

The repercussions are huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep it's like the Rolf Harris/Bill Cosby thing. Who's to say what actually happened, but the victims get to a certain age, their life hasn't worked out how they wanted and they look back and point to a particular point in time and go "yep, that's why my life is screwed time to unscrew it with a law suit".
Safe to say you've never been a victim of sexual abuse? o_O

but again the club could say it was ultimately the players responsibility to check

i was more comparing to common doping cases which involved individuals like olympians, not clubs
How would you feel if the Club did that to players? If they said "Well too bad bud, you should have checked."

Is this having a crack at Robbo? :D

On the opening day of the Federal Court case brought by Hird and Essendon, one reporter adopted cricket parlance in suggesting ASADA had had its top-order destroyed under questioning by counsel for Hird and the Bombers. So much for that.

Let's say they take a 2-year ban. They get to sue Essendon for an early retirement, which I cannot see them losing. They will have the public's full sympathy, nobody will seriously regard them as cheats. And if they really feel like kicking a football they will probably get picked up two year later. Doesn't sound all that bad to me.

The sue the EFC ASAP technique would certainly be a good one

Is getting banned bad for the players? Well yes, but how bad depends on where you are in your career and how long the ban is for. (May also have an extra impact for Jobe W if the brownlow gets rubbed out).

If you are a delisted / ex AFL player a ban might yet prove to be a cash cow in terms of compensation cases, sportsmen's nights and tell-all interviews. Might yet be a house in it for you.

I'll casually lob this spanner in there....

... the players can't sue Essendon because the club can hide behind the AFL Anti-Doping Code (which all players are contractually bound to) which says that the ultimate responsibility for what goes into the players' bodies rests with the players. The club can use the code as a defence against the players.

That only refers to WADA banned drugs

That wouldn't apply to non-wada banned drugs that were prescribed by the club and weren't fit for human use.

I'll casually lob this spanner in there....

... the players can't sue Essendon because the club can hide behind the AFL Anti-Doping Code (which all players are contractually bound to) which says that the ultimate responsibility for what goes into the players' bodies rests with the players. The club can use the code as a defence against the players.
Won't really work like that. There will be various clauses in the agreement stating that clubs will have to do x, y and z for the players, which they (may have) breached. As a result of the club's failure to do x, y or z, the player has suffered loss or damage = $$$. The actual taking of a drug and whether that was against a Code is a separate issue. That's without the poorly documented experimental drug program which they can't actually prove what was (and wasn't administered).

Won't really work like that. There will be various clauses in the agreement stating that clubs will have to do x, y and z for the players, which they (may have) breached. As a result of the club's failure to do x, y or z, the player has suffered loss or damage = $$$. The actual taking of a drug and whether that was against a Code is a separate issue. That's without the poorly documented experimental drug program which they can't actually prove what was (and wasn't administered).
It depends though. With the "evidence" that has been posted over the last few days, and if its true, the players won't have much to stand on, as they know they took TB4, but failed to get their own advice when thats what they are taught

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back