Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Gold Coast FC board meet Thursday night to assess the season

Has been lots of speculation in the lead up to this meeting from the media that McKenna's job is under threat

With Sando being sacked today will this hasten the Gold Coast board to decide to let Mc Kenna go ?

Watson_my_mind

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably would have made finals this season if not for a popped shoulder, so probably not. If they don't make finals next season then yes, under threat.

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Who would replace him that would bring an immediate improvement?

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Probably would have made finals this season if not for a popped shoulder, so probably not. If they don't make finals next season then yes, under threat.

But are they prepared to commit to McKenna now for beyond next year , or cut they losses and male a new coach appointment for the next three years to someone else.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
Bluey probably deserves another season, but if the Suns fail to make the finals next season, its safe to say he will be gone.

Sacking coaches just cause its a flavour of the month exercise is just pointless ..

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bluey probably deserves another season, but if the Suns fail to make the finals next season, its safe to say he will be gone.

Sacking coaches just cause its a flavour of the month exercise is just pointless ..

If McKenna has his phone turned off tomorrow afternoon or he doesn't return media calls , it will go into overdrive that he is gone.

Have to keep in mind that this would be the first coaching sacking GC ever do. The entirety of their list was brought in under Bluey and the majority started their careers under him. Would want to be careful with how quickly they get fed up with him.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't know if he is safe or not but Gold Coast really need to get the right man in for 2015 who will take them forward to flags in the next few years. They need to be comfortable with the gameplan when challenging which often takes about a year to get sorted out. My opinion from an outside perspective is he's done an OK job without really exceeding expectations. So he's more or less on track.

I think the team he's got is bloody good and if they don't make finals next year it would be a massive underachievement.
Its a big decision because you don't give a coach a 1 year deal - you either back him in or you let him go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
I think he's in trouble. Might be a race for Bomber Thompson between the suns and crows
One horse race, Bomber has said categorically that he won't go to Crows as great mates with Sando and isn't going to replace him.

McKenna is gone. He was almost gone 2 years ago, they then appointed Blight to mentor him which saved his backside at the time. Two years on and the problem with no GAJ have been seen all to well, which means the squad haven't developed anywhere near the way the club wants.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Surely the usual rules don't apply to the expansion coaches when it comes to sacking? He's had 4 years and has shown steady improvement every year. How can they say whether or not another coach would be better when no other coach has been in his position? If they stagnated or went backwards this year then fair enough, but they took enormous strides towards becoming a finals contender.

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Surely the usual rules don't apply to the expansion coaches when it comes to sacking? He's had 4 years and has shown steady improvement every year. How can they say whether or not another coach would be better when no other coach has been in his position? If they stagnated or went backwards this year then fair enough, but they took enormous strides towards becoming a finals contender.
Exactly my thoughts

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

First up expansion coaches have a bad survival history after four years or less

Quade/Swans , Knights/Brisbane , Alexander/WCE , Cornes/Adelaide , Neesham/Fremantle , Cahill/Port Adelaide , Sheedy/GWS

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If McKenna goes then maybe a lot of it is about the reserves performance not that seniors as strange as that may sound.

He's developed most of the highly rated youngsters really well. The midfielders really stepped up this year but couldn't handle being without Ablett. The talls are coming on well.

But the depth of the list seems to be incredibly shallow if you look at the reserves performance. And they've played first year guys like Lemmens and KK so it's not like they've been hiding some good kids.

Just simply from the outside the 4 things I'd judge a coach on:
Team develop - steady in the right direction
Individual player development - developing some stars
Game plan - seems to be the right mix of attack and defending, hard at it team
Media/members relations - hardly an exciting coach in the media but he's been perfectly respectful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back