Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
lxnjnqgf.png

I am so tired of hearing the old line about the bunch of Irish amateurs taking on the Aussie professionals as we lead into the IR clash on Saturday. Hanley is throwing this crap out there now. When will they concede that for all of the rule tinkering and concessions we are playing their game-the one they have grown up playing? We get a couple of weeks to kick the round ball and then get thrown into a game with the very best Ireland can offer. They should be embarrassed by the fact they have lost so many of these games.

What difference does it make how much money our boys get paid? Would the Irish expect even more from a team made up of players from the EPL or NFL? Surely they would considering how much they get paid! it is a ridiculous furphy and our media beat it up as much as the Irish do.

Give the Irish a Sherrin and two weeks preparation and let's see if they actually touch the ball!
:rolleyes:

Rant over.

lxnjnqgf.png

I am so tired of hearing the old line about the bunch of Irish amateurs taking on the Aussie professionals as we lead into the IR clash on Saturday. Hanley is throwing this crap out there now. When will they concede that for all of the rule tinkering and concessions we are playing their game-the one they have grown up playing? We get a couple of weeks to kick the round ball and then get thrown into a game with the very best Ireland can offer. They should be embarrassed by the fact they have lost so many of these games.

What difference does it make how much money our boys get paid? Would the Irish expect even more from a team made up of players from the EPL or NFL? Surely they would considering how much they get paid! it is a ridiculous furphy and our media beat it up as much as the Irish do.

Give the Irish a Sherrin and two weeks preparation and let's see if they actually touch the ball!

Rant over.

I agree with most of it, but full time professionals are always going to be bigger/fitter than a bunch of amateurs.

ncctsnnnb.png

So if the Irish played a group of marathon runners they would be slaughtered! It's all about the ball. If it was a Sherrin the concept would never have got off the ground because everyone would see how ridiculous it is to expect a group of footballers to adapt to a ball they have never kicked in the space of three weeks. Goalkeeping is another position totally foreign to our game yet it is probably the most important position on the field.

I've got no doubt if AFL was amateur that most of the best players would still be playing. They'd be lined up in jobs supported by the clubs similar to how footy was as recently as the 80's.

Give us an oval ball and make our players amateur and we flog them.

But historically the series have been pretty even.

And then there's the no one cares aspect!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i never understood what part of the ir game actually comes from aussie rules...all i can think of is marking, the point posts and a bit of grappling. even the herald sun describes it as "Played with a round ball, it’s more similar to Gaelic football than footy, with the Aussies’ superior physicality theoretically levelling the playing field." which is pointless anyway since there is little physical contact anyway.

lxnjnqgf.png

Rant over.

If the AFL fielded a serious team every year, and the players actually cared, I highly doubt Australia would ever lose.

The rules are nonsensical, the limit on handballs was clearly to make it easier for the Irish and nothing else, we cannot win without handballing due to our s**t kicking, and they've made similar rules involving physical contact in marking/tackling situations that the Irish really don't need seeing as they're the only team that knows how to put the ball in the net because you know, we have no idea how to kick the damn thing, and watching an Aussie Rules player try to be a goalkeeper is cringe inducing. It's just not fun to watch, it's Gaelic football not Aussie Rules.

Unfortunately Clarkson's probably going to try and win the match and get our players knee injuries. Prick. What a waste it is to get all that AFL talent on the same team, and then watch them fumble a round ball around for about an hour. That Dream Team vs Victoria game in 2008 was a thrilling display of skill from memory in spite of the rather plastic set up.

Watching footage of Fyfe, Naitanui and Harry Taylor mucking about at training is more interesting than the game itself. They could be playing Cook Islands for all I care about the game itself. Just seeing these players running around together is the intriguing part.

As to the OP's question, yes we're essentially playing their game but who really cares?

If whining about International Rules was a sport BigFooty could put together a team that would guarantee Australia would be world champions.

The rules are weighted towards Ireland, professionalism (in a game similar to IR, the point the OP seems to be missing completely) is weighted towards Australia, so what? I'm going to enjoy immensely watching Fyfe, Selwood, Naitanui, Boomer, Hodge etc play together against a good Irish side and hope for a close, exciting encounter with no injuries. If you don't want to watch, don't.

lxnjnqgf.png

Rant over.

im sick of people who give this game any time of day and actually give a s**t about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back