Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerwill

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
In launching the failed legal action, Hird wrote in section 42 of his affidavit: “I believe that if show-cause notices are issued to current or former Essendon players by ASADA, this would give rise to immeasurable and irremediable damage to my reputation, my earning capacity as an AFL coach and my business interests external to Essendon and the AFL.”

I'm glad the "players" got a brief mention. But it doesn't address how it affects the players, more about how it all affects James' ego and pecuniary interests.
How exactly does he think it affects the players under his watch? The players he was/is responsible for?

Given the "get-out" clause for breach of contract/duty of care, would potential draftees have reason to be concerned about being drafted to essendon. Would they have the right to refuse?

The action by both the EFC an James was never about the players they weren't mentioned in any of the affidavits except for the part you highlighted and only then because they could impact on James. This was highlighted by Justice Middleton asking why weren't they joined parties in these proceedings given that they were the party who were to be most impacted by the case.

It has always seemed to me to be about Hird and the club.......using the players has been an excuse to get out of their responsibilities imo.

I hope a lot of the players start thinking about themselves and what has happened to them and by who.

..and then use the clause to go elsewhere.

They owe no loyalty to the club whatsoever in light of what the club did to them, again imo.

It's never been about the players. It's just EFC and Sir James trying to protect their brands as much as possible (even though they are badly in the wrong) by capitalising on gullible supporters and technicalities. They're just sorry that they've been caught really.

There has to be something more to the story. If Robbo is correct and EFC/Hird are going to appeal it's way bigger then Hirds ego, and potential player bans, especially in light of the punishments the Cronulla players received.
Cant help but think if an appeal goes through they are that scared of the truth coming out, that one of two things is a genuine concern for them.

1. The club is going to get sued into oblivion
2. Someone is facing Jail time.

In launching the failed legal action, Hird wrote in section 42 of his affidavit: “I believe that if show-cause notices are issued to current or former Essendon players by ASADA, this would give rise to immeasurable and irremediable damage to my reputation, my earning capacity as an AFL coach and my business interests external to Essendon and the AFL.”

I'm glad the "players" got a brief mention. But it doesn't address how it affects the players, more about how it all affects James' ego and pecuniary interests.
How exactly does he think it affects the players under his watch? The players he was/is responsible for?

Given the "get-out" clause for breach of contract/duty of care, would potential draftees have reason to be concerned about being drafted to essendon. Would they have the right to refuse?
In fairness he needed to justify standing.

There has to be something more to the story. If Robbo is correct and EFC/Hird are going to appeal it's way bigger then Hirds ego, and potential player bans, especially in light of the punishments the Cronulla players received.
Cant help but think if an appeal goes through they are that scared of the truth coming out, that one of two things is a genuine concern for them.

Now, wouldn't that be interesting! oh boy oh boy, wowee!

Let the games begin:D

I do not believe that it has ever been about the players. The players are, sadly, the most expendable ones in the whole saga.

Last edited:

In summing up

'Me me me'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's never been about the players. It's just EFC and Sir James trying to protect their brands as much as possible (even though they are badly in the wrong) by capitalising on gullible supporters and technicalities. They're just sorry that they've been caught really.
It is about even more than protecting the brands.

There is a huge potential ongoing legal, moral and financial liability for the careers and health of the 34 players and their potential career earnings / long term health care.

Then consider possible health implications for their children conceived post 2011.

This could easily amount to tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars. I am surprised Slater and Gordon or Maurice Blackburn or Stringer Clark haven't been sniffing around for a class action against EFC, Hird and Little etc.

Yep, I was suggesting just this on some other threads earlier today.

Maybe it is a simple as they believe that they are indeed fighting for the club's very existence - have legal opinion that if the players get done then it is open slather on the club itself????
Maybe Joe Daniher - it was suggested sometime back that while he wasn't on the list, he was training with EFC in 11-12. If he got any sort of injections as a minor and as an individual who wasn't actually part of the club - boy o boy that would be big jail time.
Maybe legal opinion that the directors are a personal risk somehow.

I really don't know, but given the certainty of the decision all wild theories are up for grabs.

The Wookie you've been closing a lot of threads because they aren't adding much or are being discussed elsewhere. I'd be interested to know what this is adding given similar sentiments are expressed in a multitude of threads across the HTB.

The OP grabbed a quote out of context and now it just seems like a lynch mob for no good reason. Probably another one to chuck the ol' padlock on eh?

The Wookie you've been closing a lot of threads because they aren't adding much or are being discussed elsewhere. I'd be interested to know what this is adding given similar sentiments are expressed in a multitude of threads across the HTB.

The OP grabbed a quote out of context and now it just seems like a lynch mob for no good reason. Probably another one to chuck the ol' padlock on eh?
Have to agree. If he would have said "I'm here for the players" his case would have been thrown out straight away.

I disagree, I believe this is about whether it is about Hird or about the players. Other threads might have crossover opinions while discussing a particular topic,but at least opinions are located on the one thread.
It is relative given Hird's response outside court when he referred to thinking of the players. Not that there was a lot of conviction there.
He and Little seem to reading from a script.

What quote was out of context? It was from Hird's affidavit. You can quote the whole affidavit if you like.
I'm sure you'd like padlocks on the lot Lance. But you'd get a little bored.

Last edited:
The welfare of the players seems to be something that has been overlooked throughout this entire sorry saga. I hope they get smart soon and realize Hird and Essendon couldn't give a fat rat's clacker about them, so why should they risk their careers. There will be players coming out and talking, make no mistake about that, and when they do Mr Hird, you'll have more things to worry about than your reputation.

Jackpot...#1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back