Is it time for a National Reserves League?

Is it time for a National Reserves League

• Yes

Votes: 173 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 35 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Takes out 20% of the teams that aren't making winning their number 1 priority.

Given Adelaide and Port already have standalone reserves sides none of the SANFL sides will be weakened

No but your point was about crowds and TV ratings. How will it improve the SANFL if it drops to being a third tier competition? Are you suggesting the crowds have only turned away since the Crows and Power have had standalone sides?

No but your point was about crowds and TV ratings. How will it improve the SANFL if it drops to being a third tier competition? Are you suggesting the crowds have only turned away since the Crows and Power have had standalone sides?

That is what the data suggests

That is what the data suggests

Fair enough. I think the SANFL is just going through a natural demise. In the modern world people want the best and nothing else. They dont have time for inferior products. I've heard whinging about the demise of the SANFL long before the Power and Crows set up standalone sides.

Fair enough. I think the SANFL is just going through a natural demise. In the modern world people want the best and nothing else. They dont have time for inferior products. I've heard whinging about the demise of the SANFL long before the Power and Crows set up standalone sides.

I don't think it's a demise. The SANFL has got some very good crowds until recently, and the main reason for that is the majority of those that attend hate the AFL and Victorians. I can tell you a lot of the supporters in the outer that I've spoken to at SANFL games over the years would be less than impressed with AFL reserves teams being present in the SANFL.

The cruncher for me with an AFL reserves competition is the playing personnel. Unless you increase the list to 50 plus like it used to be back in the day, there are going to be a lot of 'top up' players who are going to feel they are not being adequately compensated for the disruption of extra travel.

It's one thing to drive to or from Ballarat a few times a year, it's another thing to be flying interstate a few times a year.

Some teams are losing money as it is, having to foot the bill for bigger playing lists, flights, accommodation etc could drive some clubs to the wall financially.

See, to me this argument doesn't stack up. As it currently stands, we fork out for all of that stuff anyway. When our seniors were playing in Perth against the Weagles earlier this year, our reserves were in Darwin. Flights accommodation, and more importantly, support staff - runners medicos physios etc.

It happens all the time - our seniors are in Melbourne while our reserves are in Brisbane, or Wagga or wherever - with extra staff needed.

A national reserves comp would a) have us play some better quality competition and b) save us money. We'd only have to take half the support staff we currently send away.

Agreed but there has been a clear massive drop this year.

I don't think it's a demise. The SANFL has got some very good crowds until recently, and the main reason for that is the majority of those that attend hate the AFL and Victorians. I can tell you a lot of the supporters in the outer that I've spoken to at SANFL games over the years would be less than impressed with AFL reserves teams being present in the SANFL.

The cruncher for me with an AFL reserves competition is the playing personnel. Unless you increase the list to 50 plus like it used to be back in the day, there are going to be a lot of 'top up' players who are going to feel they are not being adequately compensated for the disruption of extra travel.

It's one thing to drive to or from Ballarat a few times a year, it's another thing to be flying interstate a few times a year.
I think the way to get around that would be to have between 5-10 players contracted on supplemental lists being well compensated. The ex-AFL types which most AFL reserve teams have already. Then your more flexible top up players can be younger guys who are keen for the opportunity. Minimising travel using a fixture like the one laid out in earlier post that sees a maximum of 7 trips throughout the year would help in that regard. People travel much more than that for amateur sports and if you laid it out in conferences and divisions that saw most teams beside the WA ones only doing short flight travels the majority of the time that would also help. If it's well organised then flying to Sydney or Adelaide out of Melbourne or vice versa wouldn't be much different to going to Ballarat!

It would allow the state leagues to return to the highest level of community football with the local community vibe that people desire. Whilst the reserves can be for those trying to make it to AFL or ex AFL footballers who want the professional set up.

2 years. Port has finished second and 4th. Crows haven't made finals. Not like the AFL reserves teams are dominating. Bunch of whinging campaigners the lot if them. AFL teams leave then interest further drops and tv deal goes. As I said before these Clowns have to be careful what they wish for. the younger generation doesn't give a s**t about the sanfl. It will go the way of the Dodo if it keeps this s**t up.

I really hope we create a national reserve comp and I look forward to the day the SANFL dies.

Mind you I quite enjoy watching them fall further and further into an irrelevance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see it happen. I think it would be pretty interesting. Most teams have their own reserves team anyway so I can't see how this is impossible to make work. Like the idea of the conferences. If travel costs is an issue wouldn't mind AFL footing the travel bill. Other costs should be similar to how they are now.

Would freely admit though that I am not aware of all the various deals and goings on to know how feasible it is in the current environment.

There should be one, but why don't we just make them curtain raisers for the seniors? Just have the same fixture.
100% agree. This is where teams that have their own reserves team really benefits. They can develop players in positions where they want them to. They get to play with the list, not 10 players and the rest are VFL/WAFL etc top up players. And it would be so good to go watch the future stars of your club each week before your senior team

Again 2014 (the 1st year of reserves) was our best year, but the first year of channel 7 coverage was our worst. Doesn't that point to people watching TV instead of going to the game?

Channel 7 was covering SANFL games last year. The significant fall in Alberton attendances has nothing to do with TV, especially when you consider TV ratings are also down considerably.

6 of the 8 genuine SANFL clubs experienced higher home crowds when playing fellow SANFL clubs when compared to hosting AFL clubs. People don't want to watch reserves teams.

The SANFL has a lot of problems. The majority of SANFL fans despise the inclusion of the AFL interlopers and the way their clubs handled the vote in 2013, the novelty/curiosity factor that saw reasonable Crows crowds during first half of 2014 has worn off, the cost of entry is higher than it should be, the "spectacle" isn't what it could be (defensive footy), mainstream media coverage is declining each year (not increasing as predicted by the AFL sides), those under the age of 35 generally don't give a damn, and the league's promotion of itself leaves a lot to be desired. The league's chiefs have their head in the sand regarding most of these issues.

The current structure of the league is nothing but a farce. The WAFL is no better (i.e Peel Thunder's finals debacle). It's hard to take either comp too seriously at the moment. A national ressies comp would help these on-field issues. Off-field is harder to predict.

I'd rather see the SANFL take a punt and go down the AFL-free path than dwindle away like it is now.

Last edited:
Not really sure where you're going with this.

This is just the ressies. In order to make sure each team has the best chance to prepare their players for seniors whilst minimising the damage to the existing state leagues.
Thought the main point of having ressies was to increase the opportunity for quality opposition for said Ressies.

Without a national competition then that doesn't really happen.

See, to me this argument doesn't stack up. As it currently stands, we fork out for all of that stuff anyway. When our seniors were playing in Perth against the Weagles earlier this year, our reserves were in Darwin. Flights accommodation, and more importantly, support staff - runners medicos physios etc.

It happens all the time - our seniors are in Melbourne while our reserves are in Brisbane, or Wagga or wherever - with extra staff needed.

A national reserves comp would a) have us play some better quality competition and b) save us money. We'd only have to take half the support staff we currently send away.
The AFL pay for all flights and accommodation for AFL clubs. If not, it would be an unfair burden in non-Vic teams who travel at least 10 times a year. I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL chipped in for the NEAFL league as well, but that is only a hunch. Staff costs are a different matter though.

Maybe masseurs and the like are employed from the other end. i.e. they are not part of your staff flown from your club. I don't see why water-boys/girls, masseurs and non technical staff would need to be flown over, but maybe they are. Runners and coaches, sure.

The problem West Coast have at the moment won't be solved with a team that has a different timetable; so a reserves in a conference series with different amounts of games won't always solve the problem. Even if they had the same timetable, it might not solve the problem. If East Perth weren't playing this week (as the Eagles reserves might not be under this proposed arrangement), it would be a moot point.

One way to solve the problem would be to have a 'friendly' organised with one of the other teams that hasn't got a game but is still running a reserves team. i.e. If Sydney or North weren't playing in the reserve's final series, but wanted their reserves to have a hit-out to get / keep some players fit, then a friendly could be organised. However, with one of these teams facing WC the following week, it might not be ideal preparation. Adelaide and Hawthorn reserves might be better, but there is a chance these teams could meet in the GF, so again, it might not be the ideal preparation, or their reserves might be playing anyway.

I like the idea of a reserves league but it makes more sense to have the reserves teams travel and play with the main team. The same coaching is a huge plus, and having quality opponents is another, especially for NSW and Qld teams as well as sharing support staff between teams.

Having some of your emergencies play when your main team plays late on a Sunday would help, too, Teams that play on Friday nights now can send any unused players to their affiliates to play a full game. If you play on Sunday, or after your affiliate team has played, then unused emergencies don't get a run that week.

Don't know how true this is but I heard that there was talk brisbane where gonna field an reserve side in the vfl Comp in the next couple of years under the fitzory banner. Anyone else heard this or this just s**t talk

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thought the main point of having ressies was to increase the opportunity for quality opposition for said Ressies.

Without a national competition then that doesn't really happen.

How does it not?

Under this proposal every match your reserves side plays would be against another AFL reserves side.

Costs would be reduced right down if teams just played before their seniors.

Overlapping trainers and coaches etc could be incorporated etc

Of all the people talking about the "glory days" of a Reserves curtain raiser, who honestly is going to bother getting there early and sitting through 5-6 hours of footy in one go? Might have been a fun novelty as a kid (until you got tired or bored, as kids often do), but I doubt many would do it consistently as an adult.

Back