Is it time for a Twilight Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

No Way Get F###ed F### Off!!!

Hate twilight games with every fibre of my dark soul. I have a two year old. If you've got one, you'll know how hard it is to get quality game watching time between the hours of 5 and 7...

Shut up, just shut up, all of you single young men living in your parents' garages sponging off their Foxtel...

Night grand final is best, see superbowl. Gives the whole day for build up then straight after the game people can head out rather than hanging around for a couple of hours and getting more drunk.

Good too know you have given no thought to those that live some distance away from the MCG or come by PT as it starts shutting down by a little after mid-night.

Leave it where it is.

I get up on grand final day and immediately get on the cans.
So for mine I'd like to keep it where it is, otherwise I probably wouldn't make it.
Unless a twilight GF is going to generate massive amounts of money - the AFL will probably leave it as is.
Everything is a business decision thesedays, although I think Gill is stripping it back a little bit.

Good too know you have given no thought to those that live some distance away from the MCG or come by PT as it starts shutting down by a little after mid-night.

Leave it where it is.
Majority of the population lives in suburban cities in Australia.

Majority of the population lives in suburban cities in Australia.

Yes I know that, if you live in the outer burbs of a city the size of Melbourne it is a fair walk home from the MCG particularly after a few drinks or potentially an expensive taxi trip so if you are using PT your night will end just after midnight.

GF is ideally timed.

No Way Get F###ed F### Off!!!

Hate twilight games with every fibre of my dark soul. I have a two year old. If you've got one, you'll know how hard it is to get quality game watching time between the hours of 5 and 7...

Shut up, just shut up, all of you single young men living in your parents' garages sponging off their Foxtel...

I feel your pain....It is In The Nightgarden viewing time

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

The grand final should be a saturday afternoon blockbuster, 2:10-2:30 start time. Keep the yellow ball nonsense for regular season and some minor night final appearances. The grand final needs the red ball.

Little known fact... offical AFL sherrin footballs are programmed to change colour according to the local time when they are not being used for an AFL sanctioned match, so they are set to the correct colour whenever they get chosen to be used for a game and remain in that colour throughout the game and afterwards until the next point in their colour cycle where it must change.

2:58pm
upload_2014-9-20_11-27-22.png

2:59pm
upload_2014-9-20_11-22-58.jpeg

3:00pm

images

If the AFL ever trial midnight footy in the future, apparently the ball turns to this at 12:00am

upload_2014-9-20_11-31-14.jpeg
For 3am, it turns black... with the AFL indicating that that timeslot is off limits.

2:59am

upload_2014-9-20_11-36-42.jpeg

3:00am

upload_2014-9-20_11-37-3.jpeg
5:57am

upload_2014-9-20_11-36-42.jpeg
5:58am

upload_2014-9-20_11-31-14.jpeg

5:59am

upload_2014-9-20_11-32-1.jpeg
6:00am

upload_2014-9-20_11-27-22.png

Technology I tell ya.

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-20_11-26-42.jpeg
    upload_2014-9-20_11-26-42.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
It would be awesome. It seems stupid to me that 6 of the 8 finals have been played at night and the biggest game of the year is still played at 2:30pm??

The crowd was brilliant tonight, 74486, the port fans were brilliant, at least 20000 came over.

It would be better to start it at 6:30pm

You're missing the point of why it's at 2:30pm - the build up to the GF is almost as important as the game itself. This is more than just a TV event - it's a part of Melbourne's cultural calendar. The other games are all at night because the AFL can get away with it, and the broadcasters want it, not the fans. Broadcasters want to ruin the GF for the ratings of people who don't really give a s**t anyway. If the GF ever moves to any time other than Saturday afternoon (with a red ball), the game will have instantly lost a huge amount of its character and charm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I add another opinion? I don't care either way. I'll just start the BBQ and beers a few hours before and then watch it when it starts.

I reckon the twilight time slot will get discussed this morning on game day/ the footy show

Twilight starts are for cricket. Dead against an AFL night/twilight GF. I hope it never happens.

Children and families like to go to Grand Finals too. And use trains and trams to get home.

What about the Auskick little league games at half time.

For footy, twilight is right up there with Sunday and Monday nights in awfulness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back