General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

I hate the idea of an overcrowded logo like Melbourne has, way too much going on in it. I'd hope that we'd keep it as simple as possible.
True - it is too busy and overall pretty s**t, but it's a step in the right direction away from cartoony to more of a shield/coat of arms type logo IMO.

True - it is too busy and overall pretty s**t, but it's a step in the right direction away from cartoony to more of a shield/coat of arms type logo IMO.

Too many sheilds in the AFL at the moment in my opinion.
At the moment I'm thinking that we could go in the style of a winged air force badge/medal. Similar to what the Brisbane Bombers did but without the mascot.
FlightEnginneerbadge.jpg

usaf1.jpg

We've also had it since 1997, though.

It's a bit old and tired. I preferred the 1980-1996 logo in any case.

I'd like one incorporating the EFC monogram.
Speaking of outdated your 1980-1996 logo is just that, way too much of a 1980's amateur VFL feel IMO.

I hated what Richmond did to their logo with the 'cartoon update'. I know it has its fan but I honestly felt the previous version that lasted from 1995 to 2010 was the best in the AFL.

If we're going to change i hope it's drastic and not just a tweak tbh, and i'd like to modernise it, and not go retro as well.

i'll have a crack at photoshopping something tonight and see how i go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate the idea of an overcrowded logo like Melbourne has, way too much going on in it. I'd hope that we'd keep it as simple as possible.
This is an interesting perpective. You could have said the same of the monogram back in the day and yet here we are. I think Melbourne's is a tad too busy as well, but I 'm not really a fan of the corporate American style that has emerged at GWS either. Less isn't necessarily more. I think we do it right as it is. The essentials are:
-big plane
-red and black (sash or no sash)
-essendon bombers

...more than that complicates it.

This is an interesting perpective. You could have said the same of the monogram back in the day and yet here we are. I think Melbourne's is a tad too busy as well, but I 'm not really a fan of the corporate American style that has emerged at GWS either. Less isn't necessarily more. I think we do it right as it is. The essentials are:
-big plane
-red and black (sash or no sash)
-essendon bombers

...more than that complicates it.

I don't really see the need for rules like that to dictate what our logo should look like. When North did their logo redesign they got the fans to say what needed to be included and they ended up with a pretty average logo. When it comes to our new logo I don't have a solid idea of what it should look like but I'd hope the designers get to do what they think is best (providing they're good designers) instead of following set rules that restricts them.

I actually feel like America has the best philosophy with their sports logos where they just use a recognisable symbol (similar to what GWS did) or a stylised mascot without any text or a badge or shield. It tends to look a lot nicer on merch.
I feel like our current logo looks a lot better when it's just the plane without the badge.
Essendon_Bomber.png

I don't really see the need for rules like that to dictate what our logo should look like. When North did their logo redesign they got the fans to say what needed to be included and they ended up with a pretty average logo. When it comes to our new logo I don't have a solid idea of what it should look like but I'd hope the designers get to do what they think is best (providing they're good designers) instead of following set rules that restricts them.

I actually feel like America has the best philosophy with their sports logos where they just use a recognisable symbol (similar to what GWS did) or a stylised mascot without any text or a badge or shield. It tends to look a lot nicer on merch.
I feel like our current logo looks a lot better when it's just the plane without the badge.
View attachment 62137
I don't think so. There's already so much that we follow America's lead on that we don't need to. I was annoyed that the two new clubs took on American style names, but when GWS also took a distinctively CORPORATE American logo, I was very disappointed.

Club colours, symbol and name are necessary in my opinion.

I don't think so. There's already so much that we follow America's lead on that we don't need to. I was annoyed that the two new clubs took on American style names, but when GWS also took a distinctively CORPORATE American logo, I was very disappointed.

Club colours, symbol and name are necessary in my opinion.
Fair enough. The GWS logo does have a franchise kind of look to it that a club like Essendon would want to avoid.

I think there's definitely an argument that it needs to go based on it 'being the face' of the drugs s**t.

But as stated I have no time for any argument about it going because it looks like a needle. That's just juvenile.

How about a combination of the old 1980-96 shield and the EFC monogram?
Why not just the EFC monogram on a black background simple, monumentous, perfect.

I would support a total rebrand of the club at the conclusion of the doping scandal. I don't have strong feelings as to what that rebrand would be, have seen some good ideas, but as a general idea I'd be happy to make a change.

Back