Remove this Banner Ad

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Ok I have been against this until now. Unless by a miracle St.Kilda can beat Sydney by a lot, and we win out by 6goals per game we can't get to fourth.... I know sack Scott... Whatever.

The point is the teams that finish top 4 get an opportunity in two weeks for a week off if they get the job done in QF's. We have very little to gain by winning the next to weeks. The downside could be a St.kilda win and two wins by Richmond, gifting the Tiges a top 4 spot, and potentially meaning we could have to travel to Sydney week 1.

I'm not saying everyone, but the players that would benefit from a rest: Petrie for Black, Waite for Wood, Majak for Brown, Dumont for Swallow, Harper for Missy, Turner for Dal, Tippet for Taz or Thompson.

Others like Cunners, Spud, Boomer could be looked at but still seem fresh, probably wouldn't want the rest.

The obvious one is Goldy for Currie, and I would definitely want this to happen, however could it cost Goldy a Brownlow???

The benefits of bringing in 6-7 fresh stars would be huge through the finals series.

Last edited:
After round one you argued with me on here about tactically dropping players for the longer term good of the team.

And now you want to tactically drop players for the longer term good of the team.

No, no dropping of players. While there is the faintest hope of top 4 we fight.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Most of our players have had at least one week off this year. There is probably only a couple is give a rest and it woul be Goldy, Waite, Swallow or cunners.

However I don't think we are good enough to flirt with our form.

If give goldy a week off but that's about it.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
After round one you argued with me on here about tactically dropping players for the longer term good of the team.

And now you want to tactically drop players for the longer term good of the team.

No, no dropping of players. While there is the faintest hope of top 4 we fight.
After round one we were not guaranteed a finals spot, we also still had a real chance for top 4, those things are no longer issues.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
This is exactly the mindset that could get us spanked today. We push hard for this win because we still want a home final. There's still a sniff of top 4 also. You can bet the Dogs won't be thinking about taking it easy.
I couldn't care less if we win today, IF we rested a couple. Week one of the finals is infinitely more important.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Momentum >>> Rested players.

Play to win.
Play to win, absolutely, play to win the first final, the away semi final in Perth or Sydney, the prelim final and lets get to GF day!

Cold Gin

All Australian
Oct 12, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Play to win, absolutely, play to win the first final, the away semi final in Perth or Sydney, the prelim final and lets get to GF day!

Federer doesn't rest up in the third set so that he's fresh for the fifth.

If you want to be the best, nothing short of a relentless and ruthless pursuit of victory will do. Flirt with form now, and you'll be mowing lawns and washing cars on weekends real soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
HvAz3Un.gif

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I couldn't care less if we win today, IF we rested a couple. Week one of the finals is infinitely more important.

Wouldnt you prefer we get a home final? That probably won't happen if we lose the next two. We need to bank one more win

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Federer doesn't rest up in the third set so that he's fresh for the fifth.

If you want to be the best, nothing short of a relentless and ruthless pursuit of victory will do. Flirt with form now, and you'll be mowing lawns and washing cars on weekends real soon.
That is not even close to the same thing, but fair enough. My point is based on seeing how flat we looked last year in the prelim in Sydney.

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tell ya what, if Scott decided to rest players and it cost us the game, then by chance the Swans get done I'd just about want him sacked.

Won't happen. Not till everything is setteled.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
That is not even close to the same thing, but fair enough. My point is based on seeing how flat we looked last year in the prelim in Sydney.

Having said that we did rest up a stack of players last year against Melbourne - Goldstein, Firrito, Thomas, McDonald, Greenwood all missed but played the next week and Dal Santo was sub.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How about no.

We have two decent contests ahead of us which will provide good preparation for finals. Lets not flirt with form this close to an elimination final.

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Having said that we did rest up a stack of players last year against Melbourne - Goldstein, Firrito, Thomas, McDonald, Greenwood all missed but played the next week and Dal Santo was sub.

Bit different then resting players against the Dogs

How much precedence is there for making enormous wholesale restings before finals? I know Freo do it or have done it, not sure we should be emulating the way they go about finals, or anything really. Has anyone else done it with success?

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How much precedence is there for making enormous wholesale restings before finals? I know Freo do it or have done it, not sure we should be emulating the way they go about finals, or anything really. Has anyone else done it with success?

I think the only way to do it successfully is to do it through the whole year. Hawks do it with suspensions;). Because we're always chasing tail we've just never been in a position to be resting anyone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back