Is Jobe Watson now a better player than his father ?

Remove this Banner Ad

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
Before i start, I hope everyone can refrain from mentioning anything ASADA related into this thread/debate, it is unnecessary and irrelevant.

Anyhow, been watching Jobe a fair bit these past 4/5 seasons and it strikes me that he has emerged far out of his father's shadow (who was a champion in his own right) that the question can now be legitimately asked, which Watson is better, Jobe or Tim ?

Still think Tim is slightly ahead at this stage, mind you he also played in considerably better Bomber sides then Jobe , but think Jobe will surpass him by the time he retires.

They certainly would be up there with the Abletts and Silvangis as best Father/Son duos in VFL history ...

Tim never won a Brownlow....

I'd say Jobe, even without including the Brownlow.

Tim never won a Brownlow....

I'd say Jobe, even without including the Brownlow.

He was a strong favourite in 1989 when Paul Couch won - he won the MVP that year and just about everyone thought he would win the Brownlow.. except the umpires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim without hesitation. Jobe turned out to be a star though, nobody could have said they expected that when he was younger.

Not even close.

Jobe is a very good player but Tim was a great player.

Yes, anyone who thinks Jobe is as good as Tim used to be, obviously never saw Tim play. Tim had brilliant ball skills, was perfectly balanced and also possessed that quick burst of speed that allowed him to free himself and set up many goals for the Essendon team. Watson was possibly the most important member of that successful 1984-85 premiership team. Played league football at 15, and state football at 19. Not even a contest who was the better player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back