Is LeBron James still the best player on the planet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Closing in on MJ BIGTIME! Yeah right, even if he does get over the Warriors. That's still just 50% of the rings MJ got. That's just the rings. Let's not get into the fact Jordan managed to do a threepeat.

Something that had previously only been done by Russell's Celtics and since only by Shaq's Lakers. Oh and Jordan did it twice just in case you all missed him do it the first time.

But it's like beating a dead horse. LeBron is great, no question. He just isnt MJ. He never will be. He's simply not as good.

I think a good question is "Will LeBron be worth a 5 year max contract at the end of next season?"

I mean this year he has decided to sign a 2 year deal on the basis that the new TV deal is going to up the cap after next year. So he has taken a punt on himself.

Now no one would have said anything about him having signed at the start of the season for a 5 year max. In fact every team in the league would have done it.

But after his current 2 year deal he will be 31 years old. A 5 year max will see him turn 36 during his final year. That's a lot of money to be paying someone who is 36. He'll be an old 36 as well, with not having played college and the amount of playoff basketball he has played.

There aren't too many players in the history of the game that have been worth max contract past their 35th birthday.

Closing in on MJ BIGTIME! Yeah right, even if he does get over the Warriors. That's still just 50% of the rings MJ got. That's just the rings. Let's not get into the fact Jordan managed to do a threepeat.

Something that had previously only been done by Russell's Celtics and since only by Shaq's Lakers. Oh and Jordan did it twice just in case you all missed him do it the first time.

But it's like beating a dead horse. LeBron is great, no question. He just isnt MJ. He never will be. He's simply not as good.

I like how rings weren't that important earlier in this thread, but now they are.

I think a good question is "Will LeBron be worth a 5 year max contract at the end of next season?"

I mean this year he has decided to sign a 2 year deal on the basis that the new TV deal is going to up the cap after next year. So he has taken a punt on himself.

Now no one would have said anything about him having signed at the start of the season for a 5 year max. In fact every team in the league would have done it.

But after his current 2 year deal he will be 31 years old. A 5 year max will see him turn 36 during his final year. That's a lot of money to be paying someone who is 36. He'll be an old 36 as well, with not having played college and the amount of playoff basketball he has played.

There aren't too many players in the history of the game that have been worth max contract past their 35th birthday.
Kyries on a five year right? Can't have 2x5 year max deals

LOL

Oh no but he's got more rings than LeBronNNNNN

So MJ isn't the GOAT then is what you're saying?

You saying James will NEVER be as good as MJ just shows who you really are. As much as you'd love it as a dick riding Bulls fan, Michael Jordan will not be the greatest forever, simple as that. One day someone will come along who is simply better.

LBJ would get a 5 year max without even a second of hesitation. It might turn out to be expensive when he's 36 but it's a bargain when he's 31.

LBJ would get a 5 year max without even a second of hesitation. It might turn out to be expensive when he's 36 but it's a bargain when he's 31.
Yep. You'd be hoping he wins a couple of rings over those 5 years though. Say he wins 2 in the first 4 years who cares about the 5th year being an overpay

You need to look at more than just on court performance when it comes to value for money for Lebron.
How many seats/merch etc does he bring into the Cavs? He is under paid on a max deal. At 36 he might not be the best player on the planet, but his return on investment over those 5 years would be massive.
I read an article where Lebron added over $100Mil in ticket sales alone this season compared to the years he wasn't there.

You need to look at more than just on court performance when it comes to value for money for Lebron.
How many seats/merch etc does he bring into the Cavs? He is under paid on a max deal. At 36 he might not be the best player on the planet, but his return on investment over those 5 years would be massive.
I read an article where Lebron added over $100Mil in ticket sales alone this season compared to the years he wasn't there.

#kobesystem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really disliked the guy, but man three straight games of beastness. Makes everyone around him work hard and look good. Guy is one of a generation kind of player. He's crazy good, just stepped up to next level this finals series. Warriors have no one to guard him like Spurs had with Leonard. That's the probably the one biggest flaw, if any, that they have.

Yeah, but I don't see that aspect changing tbh.

Bron will probably go 2 year max deals with opt outs, much like his current deal you'd think
Yeah would LeBron really lock himself in to a 5 year deal. What if he has a chance in a couple of years to hook up with AD or someone and win more rings. He chases rings. He wont want to lock himself in.

Yeah would LeBron really lock himself in to a 5 year deal. What if he has a chance in a couple of years to hook up with AD or someone and win more rings. He chases rings. He wont want to lock himself in.

Said when he came back he isn't going to leave again. Will see if that comes true or not, but I'm pretty confident he will be a Cavalier for the rest of his career. He's matured a lot in 5 years since he first left us, I don't think he'll do that again to the fans and especially the whole city of Cleveland.

Said when he came back he isn't going to leave again. Will see if that comes true or not, but I'm pretty confident he will be a Cavalier for the rest of his career. He's matured a lot in 5 years since he first left us, I don't think he'll do that again to the fans and especially the whole city of Cleveland.
He wont be going anywhere. He only left cause management continued to lie to him and not deliver on their promises. Things are different now, Dan Gilbert isnt involved as much although im sure he will take the credit if they win it even though he deserves * all.
Hopefully things stay the course, LeBron delivers that missing silverware thats alluded that city for decades.

Very true, only started to like him when he started to mature, around the end of 2012 (think Boston series).

Christ Almighty. How many times do I have to say this. It's not all about rings but they do help.

Horry has 7, Barkley has none. Barkley shits on Horry. But then you put Barkley up against Duncan and Duncan has those 4 championships to boast that Barkley never got.

They help, that's all. It's not the be all and end all of judging a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back