Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrett reporting that complaints about Leppa have reached HR. Given other rumours and word currently going around about Leppa's coaching style (and his ZOB run-in), it wouldn't surprise me that much, but on the other hand, it's coming from Barrett - the world's biggest flog.

Nobody else seems to be reporting it, and I dare say his relationship with Lions players and staff wouldn't be the best. Probably yet another thing he's pulled out of his ass. "Watch this space".

Barrett reporting that complaints about Leppa have reached HR. Given other rumours and word currently going around about Leppa's coaching style (and his ZOB run-in), it wouldn't surprise me that much, but on the other hand, it's coming from Barrett - the world's biggest flog.

Nobody else seems to be reporting it, and I dare say his relationship with Lions players and staff wouldn't be the best. Probably yet another thing he's pulled out of his ass. "Watch this space".

Thanks for that info :thumbsu:

Paps and Robertson aren't going anywhere. As reported last year the younger blokes are sticking fat, apart from Aish they have a good group of young guys.

How often were we frustrated by bad decisions and poor skill? Leppa's frustration boiled over calling it in one game "school boy errors." No doubt this and other things said throughout the year have hit some of our players hard. Obviously, not all have responded well. Others certainly have, and ultimately, the ones who respond to the challenge are the players you want long term.

I don't see how what happened this year is his fault and I ask whom, out of any of the existing coaches in the AFL, could've handled this season better.

Sacking this man is not the answer. Giving him support, time and the right players to build a team and culture is.

I am really excited about our new direction. For where will the improvement come from unless we blood new young recruits. The only proviso I have and its a big one, they get plenty of game time in their first year, otherwise its a waste of time. Throw them in the deep end, that's why country footballers are great, the boys play with men and toughen up real quick.

Watching Leppas presser from yesterday, he really strikes me as a great Bloke. Can't imagine him being a 'hard ass' or a 'prick'. Maybe some of these players are Psychologically married to Burton, Manny and Dean and now they are angry with the redundancy's and departures. I back those off field changes, long overdue.

Maybe he has taken on too much, maybe he is a great bloke with an impossible task.

I feel for him, he was visibly shaken in that presser and seems really unsure abut things, I don't like seeing him like that.

I get the feeling Leppa and others sensed this bad feeling was building this year, Leigh has gone in and told them "get with this Guy or leave because he is going no where" - and this has pushed everything to the surface.

I text messaged a Mate with a VERY close link to the club (you can choose to believe me or not, I am not getting into a debate about whether this should believed or not - if you think I am not telling the truth that's fine.) this morning and asked for clarification and he said it's an absolute disaster internally, club is in turmoil, Leppa and board met and agreed things appear to be at crises point, but Leppa (as we all expect) will be given one more year to try to steady the ship, although, there is a perception that pressure may mount sooner than that. Take it or leave it. seems about what you would expect though, nothing remarkable.

Watching Leppas presser from yesterday, he really strikes me as a great Bloke. Can't imagine him being a 'hard ass' or a 'prick'. Maybe some of these players are Psychologically married to Burton, Manny and Dean and now they are angry with the redundancy's and departures. I back those off field changes, long overdue.

Maybe he has taken on too much, maybe he is a great bloke with an impossible task.

I feel for him, he was visibly shaken in that presser and seems really unsure abut things, I don't like seeing him like that.

I get the feeling Leppa and others sensed this bad feeling was building this year, Leigh has gone in and told them "get with this Guy or leave because he is going no where" - and this has pushed everything to the surface.

I text messaged a Mate with a VERY close link to the club (you can choose to believe me or not, I am not getting into a debate about whether this should believed or not - if you think I am not telling the truth that's fine.) this morning and asked for clarification and he said it's an absolute disaster internally, club is in turmoil, Leppa and board met and agreed things appear to be at crises point, but Leppa (as we all expect) will be given one more year to try to steady the ship, although, there is a perception that pressure may mount sooner than that. Take it or leave it. seems about what you would expect though, nothing remarkable.
Leppa showed some real signs of stress. Looked like he hadnt slept for a week. If leigh said that last week and the boys are parting ways cause they like warren lynch and burton then so be it. This club has alot of passengers and I think we are starting to weed them out. About time. #standbyleppa.

Leppa showed some real signs of stress. Looked like he hadnt slept for a week. If leigh said that last week and the boys are parting ways cause they like warren lynch and burton then so be it. This club has alot of passengers and I think we are starting to weed them out. About time. #standbyleppa.

Do we weed out the passengers or do we create an environment to get them to play their best footy?

Yeah, he actually looked strung out, his eyes were darting - he looked emotional. It's not one of those situations like Neeld where there is a hatred for the Bloke or he is a laughing stock, I genuinely think he is a great person and desperately want him to succeed. I just can't for the life of me see him coming back from here. But your'e right, in the cold light of day.. he needs another year to at least see through the fog.

He NEEDS senior support. Leigh is very, very, part time. He needs a Ratten or a Worsfold (not them specifically) but that type of character...

Do we weed out the passengers or do we create an environment to get them to play their best footy?
We cant be a team that keeps carrying people. How many passengers are there at the hawks, freo or over the last 10 years at geelong. Not many. If redden is upset that he isnt worth what he feels then goodbye. If mayes got hurt by not being best 22 and now wants out because of it then good bye.

Our fitness just hasnt been good enough since burton has been here. I cant even remember what manny lynch was doing.

Leppa needs support. Get woosha up here for a few years for guidance. Get ratten. Get someone. Was Black the forwards or midfield coach. Midfield should be a strength but it isnt. Maybe clearing out some players like redden green might open things up abit.

Geez i got angry writing that for some reason and that's prob why it doesnt make sence.

I'm sure I'll be laughed at....

Get Voss back.

Twin head coach set-up.

Come back with Voss hate if you wish, but what our club did to him was indefensible and a public crawling through the mud of how s**t it was might be good enough.

Aside from that, my perception would be that Leigh and co might be of the opinion this place needs a bastard. Walls was a bastard, got results. Matthews was also a bastard, just a different sort of bastard and got results. Northey was a softie.

Leppa strikes me as a potential Peter Knights - great bloke, can't be a tough enough bastard.

Yeah, he actually looked strung out, his eyes were darting - he looked emotional. It's not one of those situations like Neeld where there is a hatred for the Bloke or he is a laughing stock, I genuinely think he is a great person and desperately want him to succeed. I just can't for the life of me see him coming back from here. But your'e right, in the cold light of day.. he needs another year to at least see through the fog.

He NEEDS senior support. Leigh is very, very, part time. He needs a Ratten or a Worsfold (not them specifically) but that type of character...

WHat is senior support exactly? Leppa did a long apprenticeship, he has O'Donnell in his coaching staff who is very experienced. He also has Peter Schwab who was a senior coach. He will have Lambert coming in as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be a bit naive on my part,but do we need to have less Brisbane affiliated people on staff? I know it probably gets thrown up every year,but we've got Jono Brown, Black,Leppitsch etc,plus any I'm missing. Are we selecting the best people for these jobs or just club legends? It's not a leading question coz I don't know the ins and outs if what goes on on the training paddock and in the box etc,just wondering

We cant be a team that keeps carrying people. How many passengers are there at the hawks, freo or over the last 10 years at geelong. Not many. If redden is upset that he isnt worth what he feels then goodbye. If mayes got hurt by not being best 22 and now wants out because of it then good bye.

Our fitness just hasnt been good enough since burton has been here. I cant even remember what manny lynch was doing.

Leppa needs support. Get woosha up here for a few years for guidance. Get ratten. Get someone. Was Black the forwards or midfield coach. Midfield should be a strength but it isnt. Maybe clearing out some players like redden green might open things up abit.

Geez i got angry writing that for some reason and that's prob why it doesnt make sence.

But it comes down to the fact we're not creating the right environment. IIRC in his first season Leppa rejected the need for a senior assistant. I don't think this will change. I also think Daly is officially the senior assistant.

And also who do we replace these passengers with? Who's to say we won't draft more passengers.

Hard line approach, back the club in to turn redden and co around next year.

Any contracted player that wants out(that we want to keep)stays unless a remarkable offer comes in.

By mid season next year if things are still a mess then Leppa will have to go. Gives us a couple of months to try and right the ship before the trade(exodus) period.

Hard line approach, back the club in to turn redden and co around next year.

Any contracted player that wants out(that we want to keep)stays unless a remarkable offer comes in.

By mid season next year if things are still a mess then Leppa will have to go. Gives us a couple of months to try and right the ship before the trade(exodus) period.

Yep.

But it comes down to the fact we're not creating the right environment. IIRC in his first season Leppa rejected the need for a senior assistant. I don't think this will change. I also think Daly is officially the senior assistant.

And also who do we replace these passengers with? Who's to say we won't draft more passengers.
Why is it the coach that creates this bad environment and not the players. Maybe the issues are the players creating a 'Sook' like.environment. How do i know we wont recruit more passengers well i dont. We already got some so whats the point in keeping them.

Why is it the coach that creates this bad environment and not the players. Maybe the issues are the players creating a 'Sook' like.environment. How do i know we wont recruit more passengers well i dont. We already got some so whats the point in keeping them.

I never said the coach was responsible although there seems to be some communication issues.

We keep them (the passengers) and we provide a stronger environment to allow them to play to their potential.

I never said the coach was responsible although there seems to be some communication issues.

We keep them (the passengers) and we provide a stronger environment to allow them to play to their potential.
My apologies i thought you meant it was the coach my bad.

However i still disagree with keeping the passengers. I think once someone makes that call that they want to go any kind of emotional or mental attachments break. Once thats gone then its gone. Only one other person was able to come back from it and that was Okeefe.

On his relationship with Jack:
“It’s good. I keep every text message I’ve got and I’ve looked back at them all and they’re all okay to me.”

That's an absolutely damning statement for me. Evaluating a player relationship based on replies to text messages is utterly amateur of a senior football coach.

The great coaches become almost like Father figures, and often pretty quickly. There hasn't been many examp
“It’s good. I keep every text message I’ve got and I’ve looked back at them all and they’re all okay to me.”

That's an absolutely damning statement for me. Evaluating a player relationship based on replies to text messages is utterly amateur of a senior football coach.

Must admit, not trying to be too judgemental, but that did strike me as a bit odd.

The great coaches become almost like Father figures, and often pretty quickly. There hasn't been many examp
Sometimes. It's a lot more complicated than that. Being a good guy and getting on well with players does not= great coach. In many cases, the opposite is true.

Perhaps it was just a misfiring joke. Leppa does like to try and see the humour in things.

Sometimes. It's a lot more complicated than that. Being a good guy and getting on well with players does not= great coach. In many cases, the opposite is true.

I think the most 'Father Figure' like coaches are the hardest. In no way am I advocating a push over for a coach. It has to do with earning respect, respect comes in all shapes and sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back