Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't seem like he had slept in a while, had bags under his eyes. Looked emotional. Don't particularly like seeing that.

I would like to keep Redden on the list, unless a magnificent offer comes along which l think will be unikely. But the problem is l think he has made the call that he doesn't want to be here. As Milux said, once a player decides he is done, there isn't any coming back from it. The player, and l have gone through this as well although not in footy, makes the choice and he almost feels relieved that he has made it.

Didn't seem like he had slept in a while, had bags under his eyes. Looked emotional. Don't particularly like seeing that.

I would like to keep Redden on the list, unless a magnificent offer comes along which l think will be unikely. But the problem is l think he has made the call that he doesn't want to be here. As Milux said, once a player decides he is done, there isn't any coming back from it. The player, and l have gone through this as well although not in footy, makes the choice and he almost feels relieved that he has made it.

Like everything wrong with our club - I rekon 12 wins and a spot in the top 8 next year, and Redden would stay. Anything short of that and I agree, he would play out next year and leave anyway.

Geez it's a fine line for a senior AFL coach between being one of the boys but also being that intimidating leader. I'm confident Leppa will see this through and with the right support will find a nice balance. Batten down the hatches, have a love in session Saturday night and enjoy the end of season break.

For all those people getting funky about Leppa's text remark.... What was he supposed to say? He kept in touch with Redden outside of training is what that tells me. What if he said "from my conversations with Jack he seemed fine to me" people would still go off about him not being in touch or some rubbish.

I'd hate to be a AFL coach, everyone seems to know better. Some people just have it in for Leppa.... no matter what he is wrong.

The thing Leppa has going for him at this point is that the management of the club and has a solid football base - something the previous coach can only have dreamed of. I don't see a lot of difference apart from that key piece of data.

On his relationship with Jack:
“It’s good. I keep every text message I’ve got and I’ve looked back at them all and they’re all okay to me.”

That's an absolutely damning statement for me. Evaluating a player relationship based on replies to text messages is utterly amateur of a senior football coach.

Yeah, that was definitely the weirdest thing from the press conference.

On his relationship with Jack:
“It’s good. I keep every text message I’ve got and I’ve looked back at them all and they’re all okay to me.”

That's an absolutely damning statement for me. Evaluating a player relationship based on replies to text messages is utterly amateur of a senior football coach.
I am sure this wouldn't be the only metric.

He's never tweeted that the coach is a campaigner, so...
I've never seen Leppa comment about Archie on Instagram. Maybe Leppa is more of a cat guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my view, IF Voss isn't the man for the job, and Leppa isn't the man for the job, then we are back to square one. And it's got to be a seasoned campaigner... like a Lethal, or a Roos, or a Malthouse. Otherwise nothing makes sense...

I would not want any of those 3 blokes coaching up next season. That would be insane.

In my view, IF Voss isn't the man for the job, and Leppa isn't the man for the job, then we are back to square one. And it's got to be a seasoned campaigner... like a Lethal, or a Roos, or a Malthouse. Otherwise nothing makes sense...
Roos and Malthouse might be campaigners, but that's a bit rough on Leigh.:cool:

This must be added to the discussion - from Adcock.

Adcock said he and Leppitsch remain on good terms.

“I’ve known Leppa since I first got to the club and we played alongside each other. I considered him my mentor and he was also an assistant coach here when I played arguably my best season of footy in 2007,’’ he said.

“We are fine. I respect Leppa for being honest with me and having that tough conversation with me.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...y-brisbane-lions/story-e6frf3e3-1227513229176

Has Leigh coming back to the fold turned Leppa into more of a harda$re? I ask because everything seemed great last year. Why has it gone pear shaped this year, has Leigh got anything to do with it. Just asking.

Has Leigh coming back to the fold turned Leppa into more of a harda$re? I ask because everything seemed great last year. Why has it gone pear shaped this year, has Leigh got anything to do with it. Just asking.

Hopefully.... regardless of what people think we needed a clean out of sorts.

Last season yes we had some success BUT alot of those wins were where teams took us lightly lets be honest.

I still see dash etc, however, no continuity in game style as how could there be with the weekly changes we have had to endure.

Leppa has my full support and I agree with D.King (I think it was him) we are jumping at shadows, this season never really had a chance with rdiculous injuries. I also agree with him in that we should give Leppa an extension to get some long term focus.

I think that the previous board sacked Voss, a favourite son, without doing their due diligence. There is no doubt that they wanted to enter the race for Roos (people within the industry obviously knew he was open to returning to coaching) and in doing so didn't have a back up plan. Was Leppitsch the right man for the job? Or was he appointed, being an ex legend himself, to appease the anger that many fans were feeling at that time?
Regardless, Leppitsch has had two seasons to implement his match day style. Can anyone actually tell me what it is? Furthermore, the development of our players under Voss was a strength baring in mind that we did not have the absolute cream of the crop to select given the drafting concessions given to the start up teams. A number of players have gone backwards under Leppitsch too. Sam Mayes looked every bit an A grade talent two years ago. This year he looked lost as he played all over the place.
I wholeheartedly agree with the clubs decision to clear the decks getting rid of older players, and over paid B graders to save cap space for elite talent drafted in over the next couple of years. Really IMO, without that elite talent coming through (or a COLA to attract opposition stars) there isn't really a better option available to us right now that can reverse our on field performance. I just think that the clean out must include the coach. Injuries don't excuse lack of effort, or an absolute lack of direction in game style.

Clueless. The switch play was a decent move 10 years ago. The big hype was always the new game plan. Leppas game plan, and only bringing in A graders. Watch what happens this year, C grade talent whilst letting club champions leave. It's a ******* joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back