Review Is our forward line dysfunctional?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strong supporter of Ryder being the sole ruck.
Daniher can help out in the ruck, but he is too young to do it often. That's where Gumby can come in an do it.

With Daniher certain to play next week I can't see TBC coming back in, and he is going to hate being on the outer.

I really like T-Bell and he is a solid ruckman, very solid however I agree that perhaps we are better going with Ryder as a solo ruck. That way Ryder rests off the ground rather than having a resting ruckman up forward and that seems to 'open up' some space for some leads and crumbing goals.. also seemed to make our mids look for targets rather than just continual long bombs to the goal square.

I really like T-Bell and he is a solid ruckman, very solid however I agree that perhaps we are better going with Ryder as a solo ruck. That way Ryder rests off the ground rather than having a resting ruckman up forward and that seems to 'open up' some space for some leads and crumbing goals.. also seemed to make our mids look for targets rather than just continual long bombs to the goal square.

what happens to tbell then?

to a degree, it's too late to trade TBC and get a desirable result. Last season was the time to consider it. If we trade TBC now, it's because he's asked for a trade, and he's out of contract, so it's hard to get a desirable outcome...

But there's still 10 odd games left and TBC was supposedly in contract discussions 3-4 weeks ago so.

Its a real shame Ryder has gone so bad in the forward line this year. Strange too considering how effective he has been there in the past. Depending on injuries, the opportunity to play the two rucks together again could come if Ryder was resting in the back line where he tends to be very solid. Of course we have so many straight up KPP's to step in the options remain bewildering.
If our forward line was dysfunctional then i do think dropping a ruck and swinging Carlise down there as required seems to have fixed the issue. I know i shouldn't hold so much hope in JD at this point but that was a debut with real elements of excitement in it. If he had been lucky he could have finished with 3 goals with a run and bounce down the wing! And we would be wetting our pants in this forum...

to a degree, it's too late to trade TBC and get a desirable result. Last season was the time to consider it. If we trade TBC now, it's because he's asked for a trade, and he's out of contract, so it's hard to get a desirable outcome...

But there's still 10 odd games left and TBC was supposedly in contract discussions 3-4 weeks ago so.

I dont know...he is still only 23 and I think given a shot at being full time number 1 ruckman at a different club could be a dam good ruckman, I reckon there would be a few clubs out there that would pay a pretty penny to get there hands on him.
That said I do not want to trade him.

WTF? No back up ruckman? Are you insane? (Hille is almost done after all)

Yes of course ideally we would like to have tbell as a back up but the reality is he is (and he knows this0 to good a ruckman to be languishing in the twos all year waiting for an injury to ryder etc so hell most likely want a look elsewhere if we are going to go with paddy as the solo ruck.

There is no way on this Earth that TBC is going anywhere. No club leaves themselves with one ruck. It's a laughable idea. We will structure the team to fit him in more often than not and do whatever it takes to keep him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Carlisle can ruck. Seems to be able to play every other position.

I'm not sold on the trading TBC idea. I don't think that it would fix our forward line. I would start by looking at the delivery into the forward 50. No more bombs to 2 on ones, hitting the leads, not dropping the ball on players heads.

To me the small forwards need to be doing more. Not sure on the numbers but we don't seem to get too many crumbing goals.

Surely Carlisle can ruck. Seems to be able to play every other position.

I'm not sold on the trading TBC idea. I don't think that it would fix our forward line. I would start by looking at the delivery into the forward 50. No more bombs to 2 on ones, hitting the leads, not dropping the ball on players heads.

To me the small forwards need to be doing more. Not sure on the numbers but we don't seem to get too many crumbing goals.

Nor am I, I'm just saying we wouldn't even pick up the phone unless a genuine gun midfielder was on the table.

Big part of the issue re delivery is the inability/unwillingness of our forwards to present intelligently to the ball carrier....was evident time and time again in first half on Friday night. Almost seemed like they'd been instructed not to FFS.

Came away convinced that issues of delivery inside 50 are more to do with lack of forward smarts than midfield skill....can't tell me Goddard, Watson, Zaka, Myers can't deliver to a good lead.....even Hocking and Stanton aren't the butchers they used to be.

Was a one-off (thus far) but Carlisle ( to a lesser extent Daniher) showed the value of a big presence, with good hands, moving to dangerous spots. Why Hurley and Ryder in particular continually lead to the boundary has me baffled.

Heard on at SEN that Max Gawn is out of contract at the end of the end of the year. I've got no interest in trading out Bellchambers, even if it is for value, but if it was for a good player and we could secure someone like Gawn I would probably take it.

I can see TBell coming in against WCE.. but I think TRB have decided that against weaker ruck divisions.. we should just go with a solo and gumby/daniher back up type set up.. and Ryder looks to have the solo ruck duties wrapped up.

I'm a massive fan of TBell and think it would be in EFC best interests to keep him.. but the team structure has looked better, particularly forward, since we went with the Ryder solo ruck option.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see how it pans out. You wouldn't take anything less than first rounder or serious midfielder.. we are now clearly in the 'window' and any player recruited would have to fit that model.

TBH I think TBell and Ryder can work in tandem as long as both hold good form and we improve our forward leading patterns and get out of the 'bomb it long' mentality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back