Is our future bright?

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Macrae will be a much better player than Ward. It's easy to take his form for granted because he's been so good from debut, but he's 20 and already matching it with the best.

At this point in time, Ward is obviously more valuable given his experience and size, but I wouldn't swap Macrae for him.

As it stands, we've gained a midfielder who projects as elite in the near future, so we've done well out of the compo and we can move on. I'd probably feel differently if we'd blown it.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
For what it's worth, I'd still love a player of Ward's calibre in the side - he and Macrae offer different things to a team.

Given the choice, though, I'd take Jack

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Macrae will be a much better player than Ward. It's easy to take his form for granted because he's been so good from debut, but he's 20 and already matching it with the best.

At this point in time, Ward is obviously more valuable given his experience and size, but I wouldn't swap Macrae for him.

As it stands, we've gained a midfielder who projects as elite in the near future, so we've done well out of the compo and we can move on. I'd probably feel differently if we'd blown it.

Don't think you can compare these two. I think Macrae is more of an accumulator whereas Ward is more influential at the contest.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Don't think you can compare these two. I think Macrae is more of an accumulator whereas Ward is more influential at the contest.
I agree, hence the almost-disclaimer to follow. :)

I could've phrased it better. I think Macrae at his peak will be of more value to a side than Ward at his peak, despite their differing styles and roles. Who knows at this stage, though. The essence of my point is that given the circumstances surrounding the compensation pick and any lingering anger, I'm happier with the player we gained than with the player we lost.

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
Putting bias aside I think Ward is better. But Macrae is only 20.. he's performed crazy good so far.

Gmod23

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Ravens
Putting bias aside I think Ward is better. But Macrae is only 20.. he's performed crazy good so far.
I think that Ward, current gun is better than waiting years for future gun, even if Macrae is better. We got hosed in that compo.

That's how I feel about Sherman ... and I did even at the time we gave Brisbane our compo pick for him. Brisbane probably found it hard to keep a poker face in those negotiations.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
That's how I feel about Sherman ... and I did even at the time we gave Brisbane our compo pick for him. Brisbane probably found it hard to keep a poker face in those negotiations.
I was pretty happy with it too. Now every time I hear the name Sherman, it's like being kicked in the groin. :(

I was pretty happy with it too. Now every time I hear the name Sherman, it's like being kicked in the groin. :(
Perhaps I wasn't clear... you said "I would probably feel differently if we blown it". That's how I felt at the time - that we'd blown it.
And we had.

I was not a happy bulldog.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Perhaps I wasn't clear... you said "I would probably feel differently if we blown it". That's how I felt at the time - that we'd blown it.
And we had.

Oh, I see. I read it as you feeling the same way about Sherman (at the time) as I do about the result of the Ward compo.

I was happy with that trade at the time, I thought we could do with his pace. I hadn't really given much thought to the consequences of giving up a first round pick for him. If only I knew. :(

As for that compensation pick, how long could we hold onto it before having to activate it? I shudder to think.

And we had.

I was hopeful - he had cut us up a couple of times when we played Brisbane - ... until he opened his mouth. I had a sense of impending doom :(.

Poke The Bear

Debutant
Nov 19, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oh, I see. I read it as you feeling the same way about Sherman (at the time) as I do about the result of the Ward compo.

I was happy with that trade at the time, I thought we could do with his pace. I hadn't really given much thought to the consequences of giving up a first round pick for him. If only I knew. :(

As for that compensation pick, how long could we hold onto it before having to activate it? I shudder to think.
Could have gone McCrae Stringer Wines

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Could have gone McCrae Stringer Wines
If we'd received the same compensation for Ward that Melbourne did for Scully, our other pick in that draft would've been mid first-round, so we'd have had access to guys like Grundy, Kennedy and Broomhead before our next selection (Hrovat at 21). Or we could've rolled the dice on Spencer White.

Although, Ward was worth far more than Scully at that point, so we wouldn't have been out of line in asking for another pick in that range, insane as it seems in hindsight. Stringer, Macrae AND Wines... mouth-watering. That was such a good draft. Well, for some.

No point lamenting it now though, I suppose. I'm very happy with Macrae, and since then it seems we've made the most of our picks, Fuller aside.

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
Honestly and objectively how is Ward better? I'm really struggling to see it. He's slightly better in the contests and that's about it. Jack pretty much beats or shadows him in all other areas.
Ward's a bloody good player. Great in the contest, good kick, mark, can kick it a mile, leader, hard as nails, spreads. I expect Macrae to be better, but at this point I think Ward's better.

Ozimandas

Senior List
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we'd received the same compensation for Ward that Melbourne did for Scully, our other pick in that draft would've been mid first-round, so we'd have had access to guys like Grundy, Kennedy and Broomhead before our next selection (Hrovat at 21). Or we could've rolled the dice on Spencer White.

Although, Ward was worth far more than Scully at that point, so we wouldn't have been out of line in asking for another pick in that range, insane as it seems in hindsight. Stringer, Macrae AND Wines... mouth-watering. That was such a good draft. Well, for some.

No point lamenting it now though, I suppose. I'm very happy with Macrae, and since then it seems we've made the most of our picks, Fuller aside.
We were seriously hosed on that compo. That extra pick is worth a fortune.

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's a bit unfair. Professor, while at times does get a bit too passionate as held his line on the rebuilding strategy for a long time. I don't agree with everything he says but he certainly adds to this forum a lot more than other people that add nothing to the discussion except personal insults.

*You won't find many, if any supporters who think we don't have a good crop of talented youngsters either. We've got picks 5,6,4,1,21 from the past couple of drafts in our team and we've used them very well.

Thanks for the support Butane.

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think worrying about things like missed opportunities, and past compensation, can be very counter productive.

Compare the Bulldogs and Carlton during the "Noughties". Carlton was penalised for salary cap breaches, and seemed to spend the next few years whinging incessantly about how harshly they had been treated, they dwelled upon the lost draft picks and opportunities, and languished down the bottom of the ladder.

The Bulldog's self-penalised themselves to a similar extent to Carlton in terms of both money and draft picks by doing the infamous Veale deal.
However, rather than wallow in self pity at the time, we just got on with things and shortly after we were playing off in preliminary finals.

We need to focus on what we have got rather than worry about what we haven't.

Alot of nothing disposals and turn overs in this highlights reel to be honest. Still rate him highly though
When you have 43 disposals you'll probably have a few nothing disposals and turn overs, even Ablett does. The two goals in the last quarter when the game was on the line says a fair bit, and although brownlow votes are hit and miss it would have been a travesty if he didn't get the 3 in that game. One of the best games by someone that young I have ever seen.

When you have 43 disposals you'll probably have a few nothing disposals and turn overs, even Ablett does. The two goals in the last quarter when the game was on the line says a fair bit, and although brownlow votes are hit and miss it would have been a travesty if he didn't get the 3 in that game. One of the best games by someone that young I have ever seen.

The most impressive part was the sheer bloody mindedness he showed in that game. If he can get his intensity to that level on a regular basis he will be a star.

paul scholes

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
bulldogs NY METS
That being said many would argue Griffen Cooney and Higgins and to a lesser extent the other two all walking out will have greater impact.
And you know what that ones no one elses fault bar our own clubs fault. So whether its the AFL or other reasons - we have done a good enough job at stuffing up without anyone elses help.

Like the Professor says - Time for wallowing especially on the introduction of the new clubs has well past time.
Griffen will hurt short term, but losing a 21 year old future captain hurts more, and losing Harbrow hurts a hell of a lot more than Highins Jones Tutt combined. I'd even throw post 2008 Cooney in as well .

Back