Opinion Is our list looking very thin next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley stated last year at the members forum that the side would only challenge when the age demographic entered a certain age quartile. A table was produced, there was a direct link between the age of a list and it's ladder position.

At this point, we have the youngest list in the AFL.

Our list management or inability to retain players is the elephant in the room many in here fail to take onboard.
This is a fair observation, I don't agree with Buckley on it given our age profile in 2010 won a flag but a fair observation never the less. Buckley is a like a politician if he can't stick to this.

Ok.

Young, Karnezis, Keefe, Thomas & Dwyer gone.

Current senior list is 33. That figures is 34 effectively as Frost gets upgraded.

Seedsman is out the door. That makes it 33. Treloar coming in, makes it 34.

Freeman is out the door. That makes it 33, hypothetically Pick 24 is coming in for him.

Before Oxley or Kennedy are traded, we have to fill 5 list spots and our first pick starts at 24.

Almost all the talk has been on who we're trading/delisting and only Treloar and maybe Aish as replacements.

What about others who are in possibly play that we might recruit, including Tomlinson, Black, S.Reid, Hampton, Ellis-Yolman, Talia, Suckling, Lennon, Yarran, Redden, Henderson, etc? If we land a few of them then depth won't be an issue.
That a horrible list of names you've brought up.
Redden yes. But bit old.
Henderson yes but only cos he's available.
Yarran no. Too lazy.
Suckling no. ACLs and too old.
Talia yes if it's the crows one but it's not.
Lennon well Id rather keep Freeman.
Ellis Yolman? Bring back Yagmoor.
S.Reid. Hell no. Injury prone those Rieds.
Tomlinson. Err streak knifes only.
Black? Yuk. Keep White.

Redden yes. But bit old.
Yarran no. Too lazy.
Black? Yuk. Keep White.

You say it like that's a realistic option.

Ok.

Young, Karnezis, Keefe, Thomas & Dwyer gone.

Current senior list is 33. That figures is 34 effectively as Frost gets upgraded.

Seedsman is out the door. That makes it 33. Treloar coming in, makes it 34.

Freeman is out the door. That makes it 33, hypothetically Pick 24 is coming in for him.

Before Oxley or Kennedy are traded, we have to fill 5 list spots and our first pick starts at 24.
No Mick, the current list is at 34. We will most likely go with 38 senior list spots.

Assuming we lose Freeman, Seedsman and Kennedy then we will require 7 players via trade and draft. Two of those will be Treloar and Frost. We will then require 5 players which will come from the 3 picks we get for the 3 players leaving and our own draft picks. We may trade in some players with those picks and perhaps take 3 live picks in the draft. Possibly 2 second round picks and a third rounder.

Not that much of a worry.

Redden yes. But bit old.
Yarran no. Too lazy.
Black? Yuk. Keep White.
Tend to agree with you about S.Reid but Suckling's only done one ACL, hasn't he? That's no big deal. He'd be an upgrade on Seedsman. I think you've been too dismissive of Ellis-Yolman and Lennon. They're both very good players. I reckon Yarran will be 2016's Varcoe and I reckon Henderson has gone backwards at Carlton but has all the attributes to be a dominant player, so would happily take him if Geelong can't keep all their juggling balls in the air.

Inevitably there will be other players who won't come on to the public radar until next week, so who knows what our recruitment team have got up our sleeves. Besides, Seedsman, Kennedy, Freeman etc played so few games that they're departures have virtually no impact on the strength of our senior side - especially if we get near full seasons out of B.Reid, Broomhead, Scharenberg and Ramsay.

The one departure that I think actually hurts our depth the most is Dwyer. I can see him being redrafted.

I don't understand why he needs to go so badly. Swapping Lennon for Freeman is just stupid.
I reckon he wants to go elsewhere because deep down he doubts his own durability and wants to grab as much financial security as he can, while its available.

I don't understand why he needs to go so badly. Swapping Lennon for Freeman is just stupid.

It doesn't if you understand or not, his signalled his intentions, we're not keeping him.

Good point. However, i am referring to depth which all clubs need in a season.

We are losing 2 first round picks in Freeman and Kennedy.

If we get Treloar and Aish, i will have no major issues.
Moore and Young would be good depth if they were packaged together in the mooted 3-way trade.
Something like:
COLL gets Moore and Young
MELB gets Kennedy
PORT gets Toumpas
[with some kind of minor pick swapping, if needed]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well most of us felt that our list had too much depth in the 15-30 range, and not enough top end talent. And most of that depth was in the midfield positions which mean there was a lot of competition for who would get a shot out of the youngsters.
The simple solution to that is trying to st rid of some depth to improve the top end talent.
The question is are we getting rid of too many depth guys - but Will only be able to judge that when we can see who is coming into replace them... But right now, none of those who are leaving are anymore than depth.
THIS!!!

Our list was thi8n last year and got thinner this year. It will be thinner again next year.

Or Carlton offering more money than us and better picks.
don't know about better picks. They won't trade their first round pick. Their interest would be in derailing a deal so he falls into the pre season draft

No Mick, the current list is at 34. We will most likely go with 38 senior list spots.

Assuming we lose Freeman, Seedsman and Kennedy then we will require 7 players via trade and draft. Two of those will be Treloar and Frost. We will then require 5 players which will come from the 3 picks we get for the 3 players leaving and our own draft picks. We may trade in some players with those picks and perhaps take 3 live picks in the draft. Possibly 2 second round picks and a third rounder.

Not that much of a worry.
Depends what Treloar and Aish cost. There may be players as part of that deal.

Nah my mails more team related. I might try to get something on Oxley and a few others tomorrow night, but incoming will be a bit of a stretch!

Are you going to the Copeland?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back