Is Shoey in our best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think team balance will mean that schoey and spangh wont play in the team in finals all things going well for us. One of them might play if we play the swans but against everyone else they are surplus to needs.

I agree.

FF: Hale - Roughie - Puopolo
HF: Breust - Gunston - Rioli
Ce: Hill - Mitchell - Smith
HB: Birchall - Gibson - Burgoyne
FB: Hodge - Lake - Stratton

Ru: McEvoy
RR: Lewis
Ro: Shiels

I/C: Suckling, Langford and two of Litherland, Duryea, Sewell, Simpkin and Hartung

I'd probably have Litherland and Sewell as the super sub.

I agree.

FF: Hale - Roughie - Puopolo
HF: Breust - Gunston - Rioli
Ce: Hill - Mitchell - Smith
HB: Birchall - Gibson - Burgoyne
FB: Hodge - Lake - Stratton

Ru: McEvoy
RR: Lewis
Ro: Shiels

I/C: Suckling, Langford and two of Litherland, Duryea, Sewell, Simpkin and Hartung

I'd probably have Litherland and Sewell as the super sub.

So Ceglar, Shoenmakers, Spangher, Cheney, Boxer and of course whitex and anderson are off that list.
Good problem to have.
Ive forgotten a couple as well

Also, if thts your GF team, buddys replacement is........Langford !

It will take something really special to beat this team.

B:Litherland, Lake, Stratton

HB: Birchall, Gibson, Hodge

C: Hill, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Rioli

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, Lewis, Shiels

INT: Suckling, Sewell,Hale Langers/Simpkin (Sub)

That is probably our best 22 players formed into a team especially if you take out Simpkin for Langers.

But will that side be able to take it up to the swans or cats?

Way too short down back for the swans and way too small up forward for either. You might just get away with that line up against Freo if Lake takes Sandilands when resting Forward.

Anyway the point is moot as Rioli looks like an uncertain starter for September.

That is probably our best 22 players formed into a team especially if you take out Simpkin for Langers.

But will that side be able to take it up to the swans or cats?

Way too short down back for the swans and way too small up forward for either. You might just get away with that line up against Freo if Lake takes Sandilands when resting Forward.

Anyway the point is moot as Rioli looks like an uncertain starter for September.

Who played down back last time we played the Swans, my memory is that their 4 big forwards got hold of us early but as the game wore on we just waltzed the ball out of defence with Tippett and Goodes especially accommodating, maybe one of Spangher or Schoe should play but I don't think we should try to match up on every individual in an overly tall forward line but just trust that the game will come back to us as their pressure wanes.

Similarly all year we've had the 3 talls in the forward line, Rough, Gunston and the ruckman and we've scored more goals than anyone else by some margin, it's clear that Clarkson wanted to add Schoenmakers but for the life of me I can't understand why, we'd have similar problems with trying to lock the ball in and I can't see it making us anymore potent.

Who played down back last time we played the Swans, my memory is that their 4 big forwards got hold of us early but as the game wore on we just waltzed the ball out of defence with Tippett and Goodes especially accommodating, maybe one of Spangher or Schoe should play but I don't think we should try to match up on every individual in an overly tall forward line but just trust that the game will come back to us as their pressure wanes.

Similarly all year we've had the 3 talls in the forward line, Rough, Gunston and the ruckman and we've scored more goals than anyone else by some margin, it's clear that Clarkson wanted to add Schoenmakers but for the life of me I can't understand why, we'd have similar problems with trying to lock the ball in and I can't see it making us anymore potent.

Wise words Dipper. We were without Lake and Gibbo was 1st start back against the $wines last start. The game before we were without Lake and Gibbo injured himself. Last start as soon we got on top in the middle and their forwards tired (Goodes), we waltzed out as we pleased. It is a common theme for us. Big forwards get on a roll against us early, commentators go nuts about our backline, game finishes and we are in front. Sometimes there are kicks after the siren , but we won't go into that.

We have never matched tall for tall we have always, and will always, match our best defensive structure against the opposing forward line.

To the question of Schoey - It depends on how he performs. He has to perform better than Spangher effectively and I think they are too close to call at the moment. Schoey has looked slow since his knee, but has very nice disposal and can take a nice mark on the lead. Spangher would cut his own grandmother to split a pack once he crosses the white line. He can take great marks around the ground and is a handy forward. Too hard to call for me

Stratton, Gibbo, Shoey and Litherland were our match ups against the Swans talls. Fortunately Reid played a fair bit of the game down back so we really only had Tippett, Buddy and Goodes to content with. Lake in would have been perfect as we would have covered their talls a little better and then could have played shoey up forward at times when Reid went back so as not to allow them to double team Roughy.

Cant afford to play Shoe against Geelong, we need Roughhead to take taylor up the ground and have a nimble foward line. Bruest, Gunston, Burgoyne, poppy to name a few.

Lonergon, Rivers, Enright and even kelly can be exposed to pace on the big MCG.

Cant afford to play Shoe against Geelong, we need Roughhead to take taylor up the ground and have a nimble foward line. Bruest, Gunston, Burgoyne, poppy to name a few.

Lonergon, Rivers, Enright and even kelly can be exposed to pace on the big MCG.

Can I like your post 1,000 times?

This is exactly how we need to tackle the cats. Small forwards & kick the ball along the ground if we have to, as the cats backs are very strong in the air.

I would have ceglar and spang ahead of shoe as both have already shown themselves to be harder at the contest, better judges of the ball in flight, better users of their body, more reliable with their disposal, and better at making decisions under pressure.

shoe has an advantage of body size, but that's about it.
also, his ponytail would poke his opponent in the eye if he ever managed to hold front position...

I would have ceglar and spang ahead of shoe as both have already shown themselves to be harder at the contest, better judges of the ball in flight, better users of their body, more reliable with their disposal, and better at making decisions under pressure.

shoe has an advantage of body size, but that's about it.
also, his ponytail would poke his opponent in the eye if he ever managed to hold front position...
OK after seeing box hill this week schoey will be in the team. The challengers are just not performing well enough to push their way in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow, slow slow, those suggest he is a forward are kidding themselves, you wouldn't have know he was playing in the first half.

He was a bit better when he went back and he wasn't our worst player today but the problem is those that were off their game today have the runs on the board and are not likely to play that poorly again next week where as this is the norm for Schoey this year, he is average to ordinary most weeks.

If Spangher available he replaces him in the team, even if he isn't available I don't know how they can continue to carry him in 2014.

He and Hale have to go in my opinion, they are both to slow and cumbersome.

Shoenmakers has to stay in the team as insurance for Lake. Lake has been pretty terrible this year, and if he not performing we can make the move to Shoenmakers on his opponent. No other player has that ability.

This has happened in the last 2 games Lake has played. Clarko has made the move and moved Shoenmakers to Lake's opponent, and pushed Lake forward.

Slow, slow slow, those suggest he is a forward are kidding themselves, you wouldn't have know he was playing in the first half.

He was a bit better when he went back and he wasn't our worst player today but the problem is those that were off their game today have the runs on the board and are not likely to play that poorly again next week where as this is the norm for Schoey this year, he is average to ordinary most weeks.

If Spangher available he replaces him in the team, even if he isn't available I don't know how they can continue to carry him in 2014.

He and Hale have to go in my opinion, they are both to slow and cumbersome.

Last week I was on the fence regarding Shoey this year......this week I have been pushed over it.

Last edited:
Once again, schoe starts elsewhere and gets moved onto the dangerous forward, and in turn, does a pretty good job

He isn't going to get big numbers like some defenders do, but he is a perfect CHB
He does read the game well, and is pretty good at forcing his opponent wide, into less dangerous positions

He's not a full back, and close to goal does look lost, but he isn't the only one

He definitely played better when he went back, and he is a lovely kick...

...but maybe someone who is at games might be able to answer this...does he do lots of running off the ball? On tv, he seems barely sighted, or doing little - is he doing more in reality, it's just that it's not always around the ball etc, or is he genuinely super quiet?

Once again, schoe starts elsewhere and gets moved onto the dangerous forward, and in turn, does a pretty good job

He isn't going to get big numbers like some defenders do, but he is a perfect CHB
He does read the game well, and is pretty good at forcing his opponent wide, into less dangerous positions

He's not a full back, and close to goal does look lost, but he isn't the only one
I saw Pav pull half a grounds length on Schoey while opposed to him, which resulted in easy uncontested marks on numerous occasions. Keep in mind, this is a guy who's 32 nearing on 33. Way too slow, which means he's incapable of marking his direct opponent on most weeks. Not sure how that's satisfactory.

I understand the competitions best forwards will get a hold of their direct opponents more often then not, so Schoey isn't alone there, but given Hawthorn FC has been top shelf in recent years, our supporters don't want to settle for a makeshift defender like Schoey who posses a number of deficiencies in his game and athletic makeup, to hold down a KP post beyond 2014.

The kid gives it his all and I'm sure he's a great bloke, but we can do better and we have to act accordingly moving forward.

I saw Pav pull half a grounds length on Schoey while opposed to him, which resulted in easy uncontested marks on numerous occasions. Keep in mind, this is a guy who's 32 nearing on 33. Way too slow, which means he's incapable of marking his direct opponent on most weeks. Not sure how that's satisfactory.

I understand the competitions best forwards will get a hold of their direct opponents more often then not, so Schoey isn't alone there, but given Hawthorn FC has been top shelf in recent years, our supporters don't want to settle for a makeshift defender like Schoey who posses a number of deficiencies in his game and athletic makeup, to hold down a KP post beyond 2014.

The kid gives it his all and I'm sure he's a great bloke, but we can do better and we have to act accordingly moving forward.
But how much of pavlich was due to confidence?

When you kick 4 goals early on, surely you'll be on a roll
Pavlich did get a few yards on schoe, but how much is directive to play behind?

If you play behind as a CHB, it forces your opponent to lead as far as half back
CHF is a link player, forcing them wide or deep, takes them out of their main role

Unfortunately, many of us get sucked in by the media showing the likes of lonergan off, and anyone who is different is a spud

We need to either drop him or find a position and play him there, he looks lost at the moment as he's all over the shop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back