Prediction Is the glass half empty or half full?

Are you glass half full or glass half empty on 2016

• I'm optimistic

• I'm pessimistic

• Jack Watts

• "Realist" whatever that means.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I choose to disagree.

It's not unreasonable to expect some improvement this year, and further clear positive signs from some youngsters, but also that it's unlikely we're going to be winning the premiership. I'd be curious to know how that is pessimistic.

Depends entirely on how you put it.
If you say "oh they will improve and should start to create a core thats able to win a flag, perhaps not this year though, although with some luck you never know!" then that's fine, but if you say "pfft no way we will win the flag, I mean sure the kids should improve, although no doubt be injured all the time, plus we have a crap coach and gameplan, Hawks are miles better than we are at everything and nothing we have done will change that. Maybe sneak into the top 6 on the back of our draw but no way will we win the flag", then see, that's pessimistic.

Depends entirely on how you put it.
If you say "oh they will improve and should start to create a core thats able to win a flag, perhaps not this year though, although with some luck you never know!" then that's fine, but if you say "pfft no way we will win the flag, I mean sure the kids should improve, although no doubt be injured all the time, plus we have a crap coach and gameplan, Hawks are miles better than we are at everything and nothing we have done will change that. Maybe sneak into the top 6 on the back of our draw but no way will we win the flag", then see, that's pessimistic.

The latter part of that statement is pretty extreme, and I haven't seen too many views like that.

Which part?
Most of the pessimistic version I put together from posters on this board...

That's what I mean. Is that one specific view you put up, or the most pessimistic opinions combined? Because you could just as easily do that for the more optimistic viewpoints on here as well. For instance I saw yesterday someone predict Clark to kick 50 goals this season. Would you classify that as optimistic or realistic?

I choose to disagree.

It's not unreasonable to expect some improvement this year, and further clear positive signs from some youngsters, but also that it's unlikely we're going to be winning the premiership. I'd be curious to know how that is pessimistic.
In my experience, people who choose to label themselves "realist" are inherently pessimistic. It was a generalisation not directed at you specifically.

That's what I mean. Is that one specific view you put up, or the most pessimistic opinions combined? Because you could just as easily do that for the more optimistic viewpoints on here as well. For instance I saw yesterday someone predict Clark to kick 50 goals this season. Would you classify that as optimistic or realistic?

Nah it's a collection of pessimism.
Clark kicking 50 goals is optimistic, he looked on track last year providing he stayed fit and healthy, but regardless that's an optimistic view to say the least.
Now if they said Hawkins to kick 70 I'd say that's mean realistic bordering on optimistic.

It's not always what your got but how you use it,sure we appear to have improved the list on paper but can those charged with using it translate it into wins on the board.I didn't see that as a club strength the last couple of year.We need a big lift from the off field personal, coaches, selectors, fitness staff all the way down to the boot studders if we are to achieve top 4 this year.
The last couple of years we have played unfit players, players out of position,we have minded space and guarded grass as teams have gone around us like witches hats and kicked easy goals,all that needs to change and it will help if we stuck a tackle occasionally as well.Remember the days we went in harder and lower than the opposition? boy that was a while back.
There're lots of pieces to this puzzle but I'm excited I like the addition of LLoyd and Scarlett.I'm quietly optimistic of a finals berth and a good showing anything in excess of that will be cream.

Clark has never come close to booting 50 goals ever! The most he has kicked is 29 & 27 and that was four years ago. He's ever only kicked 8-14 goals per season throughout his entire career.

That 29 he kicked was from only 11 games. If we applied that average to an entire H&A season, he would have kicked 60 goals. So if he can get on the field for a while, the potential is there. Staying on the field seems to be the hard part, though.

5a63ce7c21b8ddad4aaf21752211de9fc1efa0b91e573fe41c8e9540faed7d65_1.jpg

I am one of the last two.

Based on our trades, and the current size of our injury list (touch wood) I'm saying its 1/2 full.
That's good. Your call from NAB 2015 that we were cooked was spot on. The constipated way we moved the ball that day plagued us all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's good. Your call from NAB 2015 that we were cooked was spot on. The constipated way we moved the ball that day plagued us all year.
Lol, but we haven't played yet :)

I choose to disagree.

Lookout… Im gonna agree with Partridge :eek: ( at least partially :D) -

edit - not that agreeing is bad - we just don't to it often..

But I tend to agree here. There should be optimism given our trading, age increase and experience of younger developing players and recruitment to address areas of need. And I think that optimism will see us in the 8, perhaps well into the 8 and peaking (IMO) in a top 4 spot.

You need so much to go right to win the flag - and even with the Menzel/Vardy/Cowan brigade getting thru all year, thats just one component to getting out done. We have some things in our favour - draw, better depth and as has been pointed out - our bottom 6 is already better before Rd1.

The optimism is real and warranted.

Im just not sure it all culminates in the silverware this year. And thats not a bad thing - I mean id rather win every year too and I hope im wrong - but the number of rights we need to get there just feels beyond me right now…

Best part is, the boys have 23 rounds to prove me wrong. :cool:

Go Catters

Last edited:
I choose to disagree.

I'd regard you as optimistic.
I've seen you suggest we should make top 4. (Same as me). And I'd call that 1/2 full.

Because if you make top 4, anything is possible from there.

Watched this clip last night, at the time it was right up there with my favourite Geelong performances, despite only being a pre-season match.

Optimism was sky-high afterwards.

Gary Ablett and Damian Bourke were looking ominous and we'd added star recruit Mark Bairstow and the promising Gavin Excell (er, and Dwayne Russell) to the roster; Bruce Lindner was fit again.

Then we lost captain Mark Yeates before the season even began, for the whole year, Damian Bourke played just 12 games, Ablett missed 5 games and had an up and down year (he'd missed 7 games the year before, but managed 12 more goals in in two fewer games) and we missed the finals after a pretty bright start (Lindner did have a good season!).

Point is:
a) watch the clip if you haven't seen it, it's awesome - Ablett made the Carlton defense look inept and should have kicked 10, Bourke's hit outs were decisively to advantage, Bairstow, Couch and Bews were in sparkling touch

b) the most positive of pre-seasons can quickly come unstuck.

So while I am certainly happy with the acquisition of Dangerfield, Henderson and, to an extent Smith, I'll be waiting 'til we've got wins on the board before I'll be feeling particularly positive.

I just can't see it myself. I think he teases us again and will eventually come to a point where he's not doing enough to hold his spot in the team. We saw signs of this when he was very much a liability as both our key forwards were slow and couldn't chase on the rebound.
If anything, Stanley to boot 50 goals is a lot more fathomable as he's got youth on his side and is a lot more agile in being able to bend down to scoop up the ball as well as take strong overhead marks.

I think for all of the nominated second key forwards - Clark, Vardy, and possibly Stanley - 50 goals a season is so unlikely it's not worth worrying about. If any of the backups to Hawkins kick even 30 goals, I'll be very happy with their output. You only need to look at the goal tallies of the players performing that role in our three premiership years (respectively Nathan Ablett, Tom Hawkins and Hawkins/Cameron Mooney), to see that anywhere from 30-35 is more than acceptable. That's not a slur on those players then or now, it's just a reflection on the modern game and how goal tallies have shrunk.

I think for all of the nominated second key forwards - Clark, Vardy, and possibly Stanley - 50 goals a season is so unlikely it's not worth worrying about. If any of the backups to Hawkins kick even 30 goals, I'll be very happy with their output. You only need to look at the goal tallies of the players performing that role in our three premiership years (respectively Nathan Ablett, Tom Hawkins and Hawkins/Cameron Mooney), to see that anywhere from 30-35 is more than acceptable. That's not a slur on those players then or now, it's just a reflection on the modern game and how goal tallies have shrunk.
Young Walker would have given you that if they had played him all year.

In my experience, people who choose to label themselves "realist" are inherently pessimistic. It was a generalisation not directed at you specifically.
I am a realist

:D

Why shouldn't we be feeling optimistic? Especially at this time of year. Outside of the Selwoods everyone else is in full training or close to it, which for this time of year has been rare at Geelong over the last few seasons. We've added genuine talent in the off season that will help massively, and we have improved our depth at positions that have been problematic in the past (ruck most notably). It's entirely reasonable to be feeling good about where we are heading. For me the addition of Simon Lloyd has been the biggest cause for optimism over the off season. I felt we had a need for additional help within the coaching ranks last year and i feel his acquisition will bring with it a massive benefit for the club.

Just like any team though our fortunes will depend a lot on luck with injuries sustained during the season, but there is no predicting or controlling that so why waste time worrying about things you have no influence on? I say buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Back