Is the jigsaw puzzle complete & if not what price to pay ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2012 Eagles WAFL watch thread

So no one should care a relatively high draft pick doesn't work out?

It depends what 'caring' about it actually involves.

If it means starting endless roast threads, or masses of supporters calling for their heads after one poor game/kick/haircut, or demanding that he gets delisted for not living up to the hype they created themselves, then no I don't think they should care.

the hate from fans for certain players would almost be non-existent if they were only picked a round or two later…it’s just a bit of a malcolm blight on the bigfooty experience IMO.
/my $2

When it comes to Weedon I am not sure what to think.

The guy has skill and talent but it seems to me that he lacks the desire (or confidence) to be an AFL player at this stage - hence the comparison to Notte may be valid.

It was suggested earlier that he may be injured. I am not sure if he is or is not but if we assume that he is why is he playing in the WAFL? If his injuries are the reason he is struggling then surely it would make more sense to let him rest and recover.

Would be happy to see Weedon develop at all...

Perhaps we just need to give him a little more time. Sheppard has only just started to come good and he was taken in the same draft as Weedon. Stevens (the other player we took in that draft) is coming along so lets give Weedon at least another season to see if he can break into the Eagles side before we talk about discarding him.

According to Mr Gossage , WCE were tossing and Froing over Josh Hill or Callum Sinclair ( 200cm+ Ruck / Fwd ) .

I think we made the right call in hindsight with Lecras and Nicoski injuries but even so if WCE were so keen on Sinclair we should have Rookied Sinclair .

Anyway Sinclair would have been handy and will be more expensive in the 2012 draft I would imagine .

I'm not complaining !

Low 20's 22, 23 Koby Stevens.

Definate delists:

Neates
Dalziel

Posible delists:

Weedon
Stevenson
Strijk - (edit)

Posible retirements:

Embely:(
Nicoski
Glass:(:(

You just listed eight players.

Doubt we would go past the 3rd round in the ND. Perhaps we could upgrade McGovern but we have another year up our sleeze to develop him on the rookie list and we will keep him there.

Nicoski will be lucky to play another game in 2012, he won't be retiring.

Embley probably should retire, but being injured might want another crack.

God i hope Glass stays on, just playing super football.

Stevenson has been listed for five years but's actually now a very good footballer and is 22 this year, and if Embley goes he will be needed in some capacity imo.

God i hope Glass stays on, just playing super football.

No reason to suggest he can't go for another couple of years.
Fletcher has proven, in a very similar position (if not the same), that an old man is more than capable to be playing that role.
Glass's form is as good as any of our other backs at the moment so we'll take it as it comes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more that he's 24 but has only played 1 game of the last 25 games for West Coast.

Likely this is due to Le Cras, Darling, Nicoski and now Hill playing similar roles to him but getting a game.
Even Masten is dominating the forward flank (though not playing a similar game style) so it is unlikely that he will be able to crack into the 22.

It may be an unpopular call, but I think Dalziell should be kept on. With Embley knocking on retirement's door, WC don't have a lot of depth in natural wingers.
Dalziell could be released in the future if Sheppard becomes consistently good. Sheppard is not that at the moment, so depth in Dalziell should not be discarded yet.
Stevenson is capable on the wing, but he's being groomed for use in defense. Who knows if WC will even keep him.

Dalziell doesn't demand a game, and doesn't hold a gun to WC's head by saying that he'll leave if he's not played regularly. He doesn't take up too much cap room either. He's a ball magnet, that is capable of playing a role adequately at AFL level. He's an ideal member of the squad. The depth he provides is valuable.

Neates is as good as gone. Nicoski, Hams and Newman make him excess.
Strijk has Lecca, Hill and numerous midfield rotations in front of him for the HFF/FP role. He's excess too.

It may be an unpopular call, but I think Dalziell should be kept on. With Embley knocking on retirement's door, WC don't have a lot of depth in natural wingers.
Dalziell could be released in the future if Sheppard becomes consistently good. Sheppard is not that at the moment, so depth in Dalziell should not be discarded yet.
Stevenson is capable on the wing, but he's being groomed for use in defense. Who knows if WC will even keep him.

Dalziell doesn't demand a game, and doesn't hold a gun to WC's head by saying that he'll leave if he's not played regularly. He doesn't take up too much cap room either. He's a ball magnet, that is capable of playing a role adequately at AFL level. He's an ideal member of the squad. The depth he provides is valuable.

Neates is as good as gone. Nicoski, Hams and Newman make him excess.
Strijk has Lecca, Hill and numerous midfield rotations in front of him for the HFF/FP role. He's excess too.
i agree dalziell has some value,would rather see him retained instead of swift.Cant see neates,or strijk having much impact in the future for us with all the small/medium forwards/midfielders that we have on the list right now.hopefully dick will be upgraded next year
has anyone seen much of papertalk?will he be retained?

Agree with your call on Dalziell.

Personally, I don't mind Neates. Still just 21 and coming back from a lot injuries.

What do people think of Wilson?

Has more ability than the other two you just mentioned.

Dalziell is just surplus and not very good surplus at that, he did have a half decent game against GWS before he hurt his knee.

The issue should be quality retention, Swifts younger and playing better football in the WAFL. I want us to draft a midfielder or two in the ND and Dalziell should make way.

Has more ability than the other two you just mentioned.

Is this Wilson you're talking about? I haven't seen him play in ages so I asked.

RE: Dalziell

He might not be the most talented player going but he's mature and we're at that stage where we should take the foot off the "young player development" pedal ever so slightly, and press down on "win now" pedal a touch.

Neates has more potential on the wing than Dalziell. Keep him on.

I am sorry to say this but Neates is simply too small to impact at AFL level and especially in finals. Dazliell at least has a mature body, good endurance and a bit of grunt about him. It looks like he's worked pretty hard at his deficencies being his disposal and would be a fairly cheap and reliable depth player to keep on the list on a year by year basis.

Fair point but can't make that call yet, he hasn't had a proper opportunity. Neates is the same height more or less than Harvey.

Can someone tell me why Glass would retire? It's often said that his body is banged up but he hasn't had major injuries really has he? Other than the groin of course.

He's clearly still an amazing player and was BOG til half time today. Is there some info that hasn't reached the east coast about injuries or something?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back