Is the rapid improvement of Luke Breust being missed by Hawthorn supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
I am not talking about due recognition necessarily, I think we all acknowledge his top season.

But I want to raise this point, that Breust's improvement from early 2011 to now sees him on a steeper curve than any Hawthorn player I've seen for a long time. And when I look to the future for players to develop into genuine stars of the comp, to replace our current ageing ones well, at 21 he sits at the top of the list.

Every year many look to Rioli to take his game to stratospheric heights in the midfield, racking up big numbers and burning out of congestion. But really his improvement has been pleasing but gradual from his debut season.

Since Breust's debut as a stay at home goalsneak he has developed in so many important attributes. One on one he is robust and desperate; his tackling is fantastic; in congestion he shrugs of tacklers and breaks away; he is a very smart user of the footy entering the forward 50; his kicking is now at a very high level; is now a bloody hard worker and big match performer.

This is a big call, but I think he has the ability to be a superstar of the comp. He really has come from nowhere when I think about his appalling finish to 2011 but watching this finals series Punk really puffed out his chest and played like he belonged.

What are your thoughts on Breust? Do you think he will remain as a good, clever forward, or will he take another step as an ultra damaging midfield option?

I'm on him for the 2014 brownlow. :D

I actually think our next A grade mids are already at the club just playing up forward, can easily see him and Rioli (if his running style truly has fixed his hamstring issues) forming the silk around Lewis/Shiels winning the hard stuff.

It certainly hasn't been lost on me. I was very excited when he debuted for us, as I thought we had finally found our creative half forward.

After this season, I think that is selling him short. Despite his lack of size, he tore teams apart when moved into the midfield. Make no mistake this guys has the tools to become an elite midfielder in the competition and a potential Brownlow medalist. He was in our top 3 players throughout the finals series IMO.

He has not yet played 50 games.

This is a good point. I think we all take if granted a bit when a player develops as he has. In fact we only really sit up and notice when the opposite happens and a player stagnates or doesn't progress on the same curve as Bruest.

To think also that he came from a lower base than many - he actually made an enormous improvement just to get to AFL level. And now he easily earns his spot in a top four team. It will be a huge bonus if he can continue to improve and spend more time in the middle.

Much improved player, one of the best side steps in the game, will break more tackles after another couple of pre seasons.a lot to like about this lad.
clear.png

Really happy with his progress to date. Not sure he has the engine to be a midfielder though, rather than just a pinch hitter.

Does anyone have any stats on his endurance, etc?

This is my only question mark, mainly because I don't actually know what his endurance is like. Though he didn't really drop off in many games so that bodes well.

I was really impressed with his short spells at the centre bounce. I don't think he'll ever be a huge accumulator but he is a trigger when he is in there and makes things happen. I have high hopes for his development at stoppages in 2013.

My favourite player (if you couldn't tell)

Hopefully he can take his finals form into next year. We seemed to score most times he touched the ball, which was quite a lot.

Just so good to watch

I laughed at someone on here mid season suggesting he could slot into the midfield and step up covering Sewell and Mitchell. Glad he proved me wrong, had a great season and after his game against Adelaide in the Prelim I put $10 on him for the Norm Smith...with about another half dozen non winning bets.

Anyone who has watched Hawthorn play this year will not have missed the improvement. Of course he also finished in the top 10 in the PCM.
Lot to like about Punky.

Wonder how many of the people in here were calling for him to be dropped earlier in the season...

He is one of the smartest forwards in the game, always crumbing from the big men. Should have been AA over Cyril too imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His development these past 2 years has been insane. Goals aside he eems to find time when he gets the footy in a gongested situation, same way Sammy does. See a lot of Mitch in the was Punky goes about his footy when he's further up the ground.

Can see him gradually spending more time in the guts and becoming a vital cog in our machine. Managed to attend a good 13 or 14 games this year and dont think he played a bad one. Phenominal talent with much more improvement left in him.....

His development these past 2 years has been insane. Goals aside he eems to find time when he gets the footy in a gongested situation, same way Sammy does. See a lot of Mitch in the was Punky goes about his footy when he's further up the ground.

Can see him gradually spending more time in the guts and becoming a vital cog in our machine. Managed to attend a good 13 or 14 games this year and dont think he played a bad one. Phenominal talent with much more improvement left in him.....

Have been watching his improvement, and hope Sav can make 2013 HIS big season.

Much improved player, one of the best side steps in the game, will break more tackles after another couple of pre seasons.a lot to like about this lad.
clear.png

Yep definitely, I think it is a real feature of his game, probably his best asset. In general he is very evasive, which has made him a dangerous small forward. He also doesn't rush and tries to make the right decision each time. If he can build his endurance then hopefully he will be one of our premier midfielders.

He has already started spending time in the midfield. I really liked what I saw this year too, I think by 2014 he will be significant part of midfield rotations.

He's becoming a great player and his improvement to date has been really impressive. A credit to him and the coaching staff.

This is my only question mark, mainly because I don't actually know what his endurance is like. Though he didn't really drop off in many games so that bodes well.

I was really impressed with his short spells at the centre bounce. I don't think he'll ever be a huge accumulator but he is a trigger when he is in there and makes things happen. I have high hopes for his development at stoppages in 2013.

Pretty sure they rate his tank and in fact were surprised by it.

He is class.

Yeah but did any of you know that he is related to Trent Barrett who was a star rugby league player. :D
Jokes aside, he has the best side step in the game. With another preseason he will be spending more time around the ball.
He seems strong around the hips and can shrug a tackle in traffic.

I am hpong He and Savage will elevate further in 2013.

As Jeans said of Ayers. Breust is a good driver in heavy traffic!
He will be a household name by the end of next season.

Everyone knows Brooooooooooooooooooooooooooost! :D

If he has the endurance to be that Midfielder then we have 1 Potential A Grade Mid of the future sorted. Excellent agility and core strength and he can find the pill, take a grab, kick a goal and spot targets. Great skillset that he has build on quite rapidly since his debut.

Even if he ends up being a High Half Forward with stints in the midfield he'd still be one of our best players in 3-5 years.

I've been on the Breust bandwagon since I saw his first development squad game. Houdinihuddo alerted me when we snared him as a rookie and I've been following him - and very impressed - ever since. The quality and that 'special thing' has been there since day one. To his credit he's worked bloody hard on the defensive side of his game, which has made him even more dangerous. I know a couple of recruiting/list types and they reckon he'll be top tier before too much longer. An absolute star. Commiserations to the pessimists and clueless.

I think at the start of the year there were updates about him flying at training and really leading the way. I don't think anyone got that excited about it because we thought he was JUST a small forward... Boy has he developed... what a GREAT young player.

If he continues this development, he will become an elite player in the AFL. For his second season, his improvement is unmatched by many in the AFL. Out of young players in their 2nd year, the only other player that comes to mind with similar improvement in their second year was Nat Fyfe... and he is a GUN. Luke started from a little further back then Nat Fyfe, but his improvement is on par...

Will become a bloody gun if he has his heart and mind in it.

I've been pumping up his tyres for a long time, he has some very similar traits to Darren Jarman. not saying he'll end up as good.
Elusive, doesn't look quick, dead eye in front of goals and an amazing reader of the play and the list goes on.

Can't speak highly enough of this player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back