Opinion Is the Season over?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm at the airport in Augusta, Georgia, US. About to fly Charlotte/San Francisco/Auckland/Brisbane arriving Thursday morning to attend the Gabba that night.

That's what I'm doing next.

Show faith. Support the boys.

Haere Ra
I somehow get the impression you would go to the opening of an envelope mate:D.

We'll be in the 8 Thursday evening but we're playing shocking football.

Acts of courage and desperation are occasional and stand out rather than be team wide and all the time like Hawthorn and Geelong.

A lot of teams would lick their lips playing the Tigers - one way runners and plenty who won't chase and go hard at contests.

There's at least 6 players in the 22 who's courage is very questionable.

Just can't help but think we are moving in the right direction despite the losses and the clear deficiencies and concerns we have at the moment.

Some real positives coming from Dimmas dissection while we are down in plenty of areas, we were in the top 5 of many statistical areas last year that we have dropped off in. Clearly talent doesn't just desert a side in our age/experience bracket.

Add to that we actually have some players coming through.

Plenty said about Griff and Astbury. You would think that given a season of footy in the ones they will improve and grow in their roles.

Lloyd looks a find and I was really impressed by Arnott against the Pies. Might be time to leave a few of the older guys such as King, Newman and Grigg out and give some of the younger players a few games in a row.

Let's be honest we weren't going to win the flag this year anyway. might be time to squeeze some kids in for games instead of persisting with blokes who aren't premiership player material.

Morris, Astbury, Grimes
McDonough, Chaplin, Houli
Ellis, Cotchin, Martin
Edwards, Griffiths, Arnott
Lloyd, JR, Vickery
Foll: Hampson, Jackson, Conca
Inter: Vlastuin (midfield rotation), Newman, Grigg, Foley

Bring in Lennon and Deledio in a few weeks in place of Newman/Grigg
Maric can come in for either Hampson/Vickery depending on form
Rance in for Grimes/Chaplin if Astbury is still in good form.

Looking at a few things last night when the board went into meltdown because there wasn't a heap of changes being made when everyone was demanding them. It kind of made me take a step back and think well maybe just maybe we're not quite as good as we all thought we were if a few injuries hit key players.

Last year we played 23 games. We had 18 players play at least 3/4 of the season or 17 games.
23 - Deledio Martin Grigg Rance & Jackson
22 - Riewoldt Cotchin Chaplin Morris
21 - Ellis Houli Vickery
20 - S.Edwards Maric
19 - Newman
18 - King Vlastuin
17 - Conca

From that group above we have so far had Maric(5 games) Rance(4) Deledio King(3) & Jackson(2) miss. On top of that we've had Riewoldt Chaplin Ellis Vickery S.Edwards Newman & Conca all playing below their best. I'm willing to bet that if Hawthorn Fremantle(see their Hawthorn game) Geelong and even Port Adelaide were missing 5 of their best 22 and had another 7 playing poorly they wouldn't be sitting at 4-0 or even 3-1.

You only have to look at West Coast, started the season like a house on fire and everyone was saying that they were back to their best. 2 weeks later after being hard hit with injuries they went to Geelong last weekend and were held goal less for 3 quarters. Does that mean their season is over and that they should be looking at rebuilding the list? No it doesn't it just means that like us they need to do the best they can to limit the damage being done while waiting to get their best players back on the park.

As I've said in other posts as far as I'm concerned the season is over in terms of playing finals. If we make it then great but for me the focus is no longer on them, the focus is now on seeing if guys like Arnot(in) Gordon(in) Lloyd(in) McDonough(soon) Lennon(soon) Helbig(hopefully) Batchelor(hopefully) O'Hanlon(hopefully) & Dea(hopefully) can step up and put some pressure on, and maybe even take the places of, older blokes who have taken us this far but not capable of taking us forward. These guys coming in might mean that we lose more games than we win for the rest of the year, but I'll take that if it means we've had a good look at the kids and gone 1 step backwards to take a couple of steps forward from 2015 onward.

Looking at a few things last night when the board went into meltdown because there wasn't a heap of changes being made when everyone was demanding them. It kind of made me take a step back and think well maybe just maybe we're not quite as good as we all thought we were if a few injuries hit key players.

Last year we played 23 games. We had 18 players play at least 3/4 of the season or 17 games.
21 - Ellis Houli Vickery
20 - S.Edwards Maric
19 - Newman
18 - King Vlastuin
17 - Conca

From that group above we have so far had Maric(5 games) Rance(4) Deledio King(3) & Jackson(2) miss. On top of that we've had Riewoldt Chaplin Ellis Vickery S.Edwards Newman & Conca all playing below their best. I'm willing to bet that if Hawthorn Fremantle(see their Hawthorn game) Geelong and even Port Adelaide were missing 5 of their best 22 and had another 7 playing poorly they wouldn't be sitting at 4-0 or even 3-1.

You only have to look at West Coast, started the season like a house on fire and everyone was saying that they were back to their best. 2 weeks later after being hard hit with injuries they went to Geelong last weekend and were held goal less for 3 quarters. Does that mean their season is over and that they should be looking at rebuilding the list? No it doesn't it just means that like us they need to do the best they can to limit the damage being done while waiting to get their best players back on the park.

As I've said in other posts as far as I'm concerned the season is over in terms of playing finals. If we make it then great but for me the focus is no longer on them, the focus is now on seeing if guys like Arnot(in) Gordon(in) Lloyd(in) McDonough(soon) Lennon(soon) Helbig(hopefully) Batchelor(hopefully) O'Hanlon(hopefully) & Dea(hopefully) can step up and put some pressure on, and maybe even take the places of, older blokes who have taken us this far but not capable of taking us forward. These guys coming in might mean that we lose more games than we win for the rest of the year, but I'll take that if it means we've had a good look at the kids and gone 1 step backwards to take a couple of steps forward from 2015 onward.
Agree. But should be just pumping games into kids replacing them. (Maric the obvious exception) Last week was a step in the right direction. Hopefully next week it keeps going.

21 - Ellis Houli Vickery
20 - S.Edwards Maric
19 - Newman
18 - King Vlastuin
17 - Conca

Ripping post. Puts things into perspective a bit.

Agree. But should be just pumping games into kids replacing them. (Maric the obvious exception) Last week was a step in the right direction. Hopefully next week it keeps going.
Refer to my new thread about development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as this thread says ' our season may be over' however their is some good news based on earlier or recent observations on other teams feeble displays...........either will lions, carlton, essendon, stkilda, gold coast, freo, west coast, kangas, dees, swans, dogs, crows & giants..... back to a final 5 maybe :p

We pinch one of the next two the season is well and truly alive, Hawks, Cats, Port, Freo, and Collingwood are the only ones that are serious contenders. Sydney will come with a rush, I'm tipping there won't be too many sides winning 14 games plus this year.

We pinch one of the next two the season is well and truly alive, Hawks, Cats, Port, Freo, and Collingwood are the only ones that are serious contenders. Sydney will come with a rush, I'm tipping there won't be too many sides winning 14 games plus this year.
If we win one of the next 2 we are home. :p Not only because 3-4 is better than 2-5 but it means we aren't playing like complete spuds

If we win one out of the next two, I'll be extremely happy. That means we would most likely be 5-4 coming into a tough 4 week block playing Essendon, North, Freo and Sydney.

If we win one of the next 2 we are home. :p Not only because 3-4 is better than 2-5 but it means we aren't playing like complete spuds
Haha, pay that. Just reckon theres some average teams above us that won't continue their starts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back