Opinion Is the Season over?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong and Hawthorn had good players keeping them out and were winning flags. They played kids when they were at our stage. We have crap players keeping them out and we play like a pile of s**t.

PS. With you banned I'll take your silence as you agreeing with me. Come at me :p
You keep overrating the players that are playing in the VFL.
The general idea is that the play in the seconds and when they show enough they get a chance. You keep skipping the "they need to show enough part".
If they were playing well enough in the VFL they would be in. Simple as that.

I thought so too. :p

We seem to be hanging onto guys for too long. Fair enough with guys like Elton, McBean, Dea, McIntosh who are more project types, but we should be making calls on some others a lot quicker. McGuane lasted 9 years and White 8 lol

Yep spot on. Craig Cameron was a really average list manager thankfully he went and joined the racing industry but now he'll spend most of his time
in courtrooms.

Whether the current manager makes the same mistakes remains to be seen, but it doesn't look good.

I must say though, Gale and Co have done well to turn around the clubs fortunes but the entire coaching and support staff do not inspire me one little bit. I actually think the majority of them are leftovers and 2nd or 3rd choice options.

What a hole we have found ourselves in... One month in and we've already been found out. Great season last year, but we've stood still this year and watched every team fly past us. I've tried to reserve my judgement for as long as I can but I couldn't be any more off Hardwick - he has no idea.

Geelong and Hawthorn had good players keeping them out and were winning flags. They played kids when they were at our stage. We have crap players keeping them out and we play like a pile of s**t.

PS. With you banned I'll take your silence as you agreeing with me. Come at me :p
Yes they were winning flags but there were still some hacks that were getting games ahead of kids. As the kids stepped up and earned their way into the 22, the hacks were moved on or reverted back into a back up role. We need to make our kids earn their way into the 22, then we'll start to move in the right direction, rather than stagnating or even going backwards.

You keep overrating the players that are playing in the VFL.
The general idea is that the play in the seconds and when they show enough they get a chance. You keep skipping the "they need to show enough part".
If they were playing well enough in the VFL they would be in. Simple as that.
I get that. Yet, it's different rules for different players. That;s the bit that pisses me off. And it's why we have about 10 C-graders in the seniors.

Newman (C-grader, been really disappointing this season, maybe his knee is still sore but he's slower than Thomas)
Grimes (has to play, should get better)
Grigg (was better, been s**t last year and so far this year)
Edwards (I've stuck up for him over and over but he's getting worse)
Astbury (is pushing towards B-grade because he's been given a chance)
Petterd (slow, can't kick, played one good game for the club)
Hampson (has to play)
Thomas (again has to play, but would like to see Floss play some time in his role to eventually phase him out)
Griffiths (shown a bit, could push towards a B-grader)
Gordon (another who could potentially push to B-grader)
Lloyd (likewise)
Arnot (likewise)

That's 12 C-graders. On top of that Chaplin is playing like a C-grader. And Vickery has played 2 games like a C-grader.

6 of them have the potential to go past C-grade level. That's why I'm saying play the youngsters. The others are duds. Most wouldn't get games outside of bottom 4 teams. It's why we are going terrible this year.

Yes they were winning flags but there were still some hacks that were getting games ahead of kids. As the kids stepped up and earned their way into the 22, the hacks were moved on or reverted back into a back up role. We need to make our kids earn their way into the 22, then we'll start to move in the right direction, rather than stagnating or even going backwards.
Any hacks they had would be in our best 10 players. As I said above. There are 12 C-graders in our team. 6 of which I don't think can get better. In fact they are gradually getting worse by the week. That is appalling.

I get that. Yet, it's different rules for different players. That;s the bit that pisses me off. And it's why we have about 10 C-graders in the seniors.

Newman (C-grader, been really disappointing this season, maybe his knee is still sore but he's slower than Thomas)
Grimes (has to play, should get better)
Grigg (was better, been s**t last year and so far this year)
Edwards (I've stuck up for him over and over but he's getting worse)
Astbury (is pushing towards B-grade because he's been given a chance)
Petterd (slow, can't kick, played one good game for the club)
Hampson (has to play)
Thomas (again has to play, but would like to see Floss play some time in his role to eventually phase him out)
Griffiths (shown a bit, could push towards a B-grader)
Gordon (another who could potentially push to B-grader)
Lloyd (likewise)
Arnot (likewise)

That's 12 C-graders. On top of that Chaplin is playing like a C-grader. And Vickery has played 2 games like a C-grader.

6 of them have the potential to go past C-grade level. That's why I'm saying play the youngsters. The others are duds. Most wouldn't get games outside of bottom 4 teams. It's why we are going terrible this year.
Imo Astbury and Griffiths played because they played well in the preseason not just because they were given a chance. It also happen to be positions they thought were open. I get that others also performed but those positions were 'thought' to be covered. It hasn't shown that and now the challenge is to let them have a go.

I believe leadership has become a big issue at the club from both the coach and the leadership group. The team appears to be full of individuals with no one playing for their team mates or the jumper.

In hindsight Cotchin probably was the wrong choice for captain, and a Deledio or Riewoldt may have been a better option. I believe the decision to drop Jack from the leadership group was stupid when it was evident last year he was working his heart out to lift the team.

Where to now..

A phone call to Leigh Matthews to see if he is interested in building a premiership side over the next 3 years.

Hardwick to be sacked if we are not 3-4 by the bye.

Thomas, Petterd, Grigg, Newman, S.Edwards all put on the backburners in the VFL. Chaplin out for Rance when fit. Vickery back to VFL to learn how to play football.

The following team should play most of the season.

B: Morris, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Houli, Rance, Batchelor
C: Ellis, Martin, Deledio
HF: McDonough, Griffiths, Arnot
F: Lloyd, Riewoldt, Elton/McBean/Ruckman
R: Hampson/Maric, Cotchin, Jackson
Int: Conca, Vlastuin, Lennon
Sub: Gordon

Would also like to see Dea, Helbig, McIntosh, O'Hanlon, and Miles when he can be upgraded be given a run of at least 4 games injury permitting.

The remaining older players need to show considerable form in the VFL to earn their spot back in the team, if it's available. Vickery can spend 4 games in the VFL and then form permitting return to the AFL.

Yeah I agree with your slant on things and your team selections. I would also like to see us change the game plan to something simpler that the players are not confused with.

How about we refer the players back to the Eagles game last year as a starting point? when we bounced back after our most pathetic performance in years against the Bombers the week before. We didnt need to change the coach. They just changed the way they played.

The basis of this turn around was surely something SIMPLE like. FFS Our game plan sucked last week so lets attack more at pit-of-peril (Subiaco)! Rocket Science?

New Simple game plan something like this:

• Allow players to back themselves and enjoy their footy with overall plan A to attack all around the ground.

• Get the ball out from the centre bounces and attack towards Giffiths, Jack, whoever quickly! need crumbers F&C and behind.

• Move the ball quickly out of defence by attacking (keep some basic structure in defense but move it, move it! without hesitation)

• Once the ball is halfway run like **** and attack without hesitation towards CHF/goal square wiht long kicks FFS!

• More stuff like the above - Other suggestions?

In addition to that. How about a plan B and plan C? Rocket Science?

Suggestions?

FFS!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of Ports improvement has come from within. Players like Westhoff, Ebert, Kornes, Boak, Hartlett, Broadbent went to the next level.
So it wasn't from the drafts

Most of our improvement has come from the replacement of our coach, massive improvement in fitness, and getting our off field in order, with a few lucky breaks in Wingard/Wines thrown in for good measure. While the players have improved, it was the trigger for them to improve that's the key. We also worked hard as a club to retain our higher drafted young players through the lean years (only Ben Jacobs left through this time) (remember I said young players before you mention/Pearce/Chaplin etc). The benefit of doing this is we have a collection of highly rated kids who are genuinely tight as a group away from footy, and now a coach with direction.

Talented players always have talent - its up to the coach to get at it. Primus to Hinkley is like day and night. Hinkley coaches with purpose, knows what he wants and has a big portion of the list playing close to career best form. I can't think of any player of significance who's gone backwards.
Primus seemed like his efforts were around keeping his head above water, Hinkley is just one of those coaches you know 'gets it'.

I don't see Dimma enough to know where he fits, but I knows he's a far better coach than Primus ever was, but doubt he's got Hinkley covered - while he's only been a head coach for a year and a bit, Hinkleys been involved in coaching both as a head coach at lower levels, and as an assistant for a long time.

We have also been pretty focussed in our trading. We've brought into the club three (Ebert\Monfries\Polec) three first round draftees without giving up too much, and covered our main two losses (Chaplin\Pearce pretty well with other trading ... bearing in mind we were compensated for both). The general strategy has been to trade for youth ... they don't all come off, but when they do you have a player for 7/8 years instead of 3. We have the third youngest list in the comp apparently.

Last edited:
Any hacks they had would be in our best 10 players. As I said above. There are 12 C-graders in our team. 6 of which I don't think can get better. In fact they are gradually getting worse by the week. That is appalling.
Cheney - 22 games (current FB)
Bruce - 10 games(2 seasons)
Gilham - 98 games
Murphy - 95 games
Schoenmakers - 64 games
Renouf - 52 games
Peterson - 17 games
Skipper -15 games
Taylor - 85 games

None of them would be in our 10 best players but they all played important roles for Hawthorn while at the club. The difference between us at the moment is that once Hawthorn had better players to replace them with who had earned their spots they played them. We're still waiting for our guys to earn their spots. Hopefully that is happening now with Arnot Gordon & Lloyd currently in the side, with McDonough & Lennon to join them as soon as this week. Then if the likes of O'Hanlon Batchelor Helbig & Dea can perform and come in we can replace those who have taken as far as we've got.

Cheney - 22 games (current FB)
Bruce - 10 games(2 seasons)
Gilham - 98 games
Murphy - 95 games
Schoenmakers - 64 games
Renouf - 52 games
Peterson - 17 games
Skipper -15 games
Taylor - 85 games

None of them would be in our 10 best players but they all played important roles for Hawthorn while at the club. The difference between us at the moment is that once Hawthorn had better players to replace them with who had earned their spots they played them. We're still waiting for our guys to earn their spots. Hopefully that is happening now with Arnot Gordon & Lloyd currently in the side, with McDonough & Lennon to join them as soon as this week. Then if the likes of O'Hanlon Batchelor Helbig & Dea can perform and come in we can replace those who have taken as far as we've got.
Firstly how many of them played in the same team together?

Secondly some of them aren't spuds. Gilham, Schoenmakers, Peterson aren't spuds. Gilham was good until he did his knee. Peterson was talented but had a drug problem. Schoenmakers was a kid who was given a chance and has turned into a reliable player. (Exactly what I'm advocating us doing)

Murphy was average but he's better than Petterd is for us. They also phased him out and pushed for a flag.

Granted their rucks were terrible but only 2 of them at most played in the same team. Bruce barely played and is our Newman. Was good, now he's done. A break in case of emergency type.

Lastly Cheney has played 20 games in 4 seasons. He's a back-up to a back-up. He's also get a game for us over Grimes/Chaplin.

Need to remember the quality of players the younger players had around them for support at clubs like Geelong.

Think we are trying to give time to our younger players so they become more rounded not just 1 or 2 trick ponies with gapping flaws.

Just as I don't fancy having too many limited recycles in a side I wouldn't like too many younger players that aren't quite finished.

First game players putting on a show don't necessarily follow up.

Don't get people calling for McBean. As seen in the NAB he's a long way off and needs more time. Just have to be patient.

We need to turn things around but finals isn't out of the question even with losses to Hawthorn and Geelong.

I see a number of clubs ahead of us on the ladder who will slip as the season continues. It remains to be seen how GC and GWS travel later in the year and even sides like the Doggies and West Coast. There are a few clubs doing well at the moment who would slide with 1 or 2 key players out with injury/suspension. Their structure/depth would be exposed.

RT I'm with you mate!

The season is far from over and we are still a good chance entering the bye at 2-4 or 3-4. Just have a look at the ladder as it sits, we are one win from seventh place playing the worst football in years. Bottom line, and i don't know if its a mixture of a different fitness program and game plan change but we have a good 12 players either injured and not on the park or dreadfully out of form.

The positives for me in this 4 game hellish period is to see the likes of Astbury and Griffiths actually show improvement when given solid game time, Grimes getting better every game, admittedly from a far way back. Also another positive I took from the pies game is that it was plain as day to Hardwick that a few of our blokes are soft and avoiding going in when its there turn.

Obviously we have issues. Our backline is really missing Rances voice on the ground. Our positional changes have not worked and needs to be addressed. Our top ups, should be exactly that, top ups only. to be used only if injuries to our starting 22. We have had to many of our starting 22 miss chunks of the preseason.

IMO if we get back to what we know we can do and do that well. This will turn pretty quickly.

Bookmark this, we will make the eight.

Far from over. But far from in the 8.

The thing that makes me confident, also makes me worried. We've played about 1 3/4 good gaomes so far, and 2 1/4 bad games. We are Jeckel and Hyde during games. Witha littel mreo luck and grit we woudl be 2-2, and a tiny bit nmore 3-1. the pies crushed us, but the others were winnable.

When on song we are still very good. It's just crap football for too mcuh of the time. Dimma isn't telling the players to not run and to miss targets/drop marks. But somethign is wrong mentally, adn that is his bailiwick. I wouldn't be surprised if we suddenly hit form and crush some teams. I also wouldn't eb surprised by some on again, off again performances.

Its a bad 1-3. Bulldogs and Gold Coast in there. Thats our easy draw advantage almost out the window.

A 2-1 result over the next three weeks would resurrect my hopes but that means beating one of Hawthorn and Geelong.

What's all this end of season crap..........after this round, we will be in the same position as Geelong in 2007. 2 Wins 3 losses after 5 rounds......:eek:

We all Know what happened next..........:oops:

The same will happen for us...........we will flog Hawthorn as usual:p

Then win our next 14 games......:eek:;)

Lose to ******** St Kilda.........:mad:

Then Flog Sydney in Sydney.....:p:D:eek:;)

Finish on top...........:p:D:eek::cool:

Then Flog our opponent in the Qualifying final......:p:D:eek:;)

Scrape home in the Preliminary final......;)

Then Flog our opponent by over 100 points in the Grand Final........:):p:D:eek:;):cool:

art-353-cotchin-300x0.jpg

Pictured 28/9/14: Trent Cotchin celebrating in his sides big win in yesterday's AFL Grand Final

Most of our improvement has come from the replacement of our coach, massive improvement in fitness, and getting our off field in order, with a few lucky breaks in Wingard/Wines thrown in for good measure. While the players have improved, it was the trigger for them to improve that's the key. We also worked hard as a club to retain our higher drafted young players through the lean years (only Ben Jacobs left through this time) (remember I said young players before you mention/Pearce/Chaplin etc). The benefit of doing this is we have a collection of highly rated kids who are genuinely tight as a group away from footy, and now a coach with direction.

Talented players always have talent - its up to the coach to get at it. Primus to Hinkley is like day and night. Hinkley coaches with purpose, knows what he wants and has a big portion of the list playing close to career best form. I can't think of any player of significance who's gone backwards.
Primus seemed like his efforts were around keeping his head above water, Hinkley is just one of those coaches you know 'gets it'.

I don't see Dimma enough to know where he fits, but I knows he's a far better coach than Primus ever was, but doubt he's got Hinkley covered - while he's only been a head coach for a year and a bit, Hinkleys been involved in coaching both as a head coach at lower levels, and as an assistant for a long time.

We have also been pretty focussed in our trading. We've brought into the club three (Ebert\Monfries\Polec) three first round draftees without giving up too much, and covered our main two losses (Chaplin\Pearce pretty well with other trading ... bearing in mind we were compensated for both). The general strategy has been to trade for youth ... they don't all come off, but when they do you have a player for 7/8 years instead of 3. We have the third youngest list in the comp apparently.
I said before that it was more a method issue than a talent issue with port. I also think the fitness is a massive upgrade as the fitter you are, the more contests you get to, the better your skills are etc. We nearly had him but for his Mrs. Farrrrrrrk.

What's all this end of season crap..........after this round, we will be in the same position as Geelong in 2007. 2 Wins 3 losses after 5 rounds......:eek:

The comparison doesn't stack up at all. Eighteen months earlier, Geelong were beaten a kick by the eventual premiers in week two of the finals. Richmond haven't played that well in a final at any time in the last three decades.

The comparison doesn't stack up at all. Eighteen months earlier, Geelong were beaten a kick by the eventual premiers in week two of the finals. Richmond haven't played that well in a final at any time in the last three decades.

2007 Geelong vs 2014 Richmond is the Comparison................not 2005 Geelong and the Richmond of last three decades...........:rolleyes:

2001 defeated Carlton in Semi Final.............what more you want.............:rolleyes:

Negative corner over here.........:rolleyes:

Head up..........our days of struggles will only be over once there is some positivity happening around here...........;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back