Is there another team with a worse recent first round draft history than the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

2006- Jack Reiwoldt (#13)- Double Coleman medalist :thumbsu:
2007- Trent Cotchin (#2)- Captain, champion :thumbsu:
2008- Tyrone Vickery (#8)- Continues to tease with potential, but then hands out s**t like this season so far, jury still out
2009- Dustin Martin (#3)- Jet :thumbsu:
2010- Reece Conca (#6)- Will be a good 200+ game player, just sucks Heppell was the pick after him :thumbsu:
2011- Brandon Ellis (#15)- Has looked really good so far, shaky start to this year but should be a gun :thumbsu:
2012- Nick Vlastuin (#9)- Gun player, next captain of the club :thumbsu:
2013- Ben Lennon (#12)- Too Early

Not sure why OP only went back to 2006, but i'll roll with it seeing as our recruiting was completely s**t before then :D. Assuming Vickery pulls his finger out and becomes the player he should be and Lennon lives up to expectations we should have nailed our last 8 first round picks, which is pretty good. If only we were able to find players from the second round onwards......

Turns out Polec was a good pick, just developed poorly.
Injury prone and just needed someone to put a rocket up his arse and Hinkley was the man to do it

Bulldogs have been diabolical too.

2000: Jordan Mcmahon :thumbsu: (got us C Ward and Macrae)
2001: Sam Power :thumbsdown:
2002: Tim Walsh :thumbsdown: Cameron Faulkner :thumbsdown:
2003: Cooney :thumbsu: Ray :thumbsdown:
2004: Griffen :thumbsu: Williams :thumbsdown:
2005: Higgins :thumbsdown:
2006: Everitt :thumbsdown:
2007: Grant :thumbsdown:
2008: Cordy :thumbsdown:
2009: Howard :thumbsdown:
2010: Wallis :thumbsdown:
Add to this you gave up the Harbrow end of Round 1 compo pick to Brisbane for Sherman

2005 - #15 Travis Varcoe - 119 games and still going, although arguably treading water into his 9th season. Not many superstars selected after him though - a few very handy players but no horrible oversights really. DRAW
2014 and some Cats fans still don't get how important this guy has been since drafted.

Ridiculously bad call.

Really this thread just proves that early picks are not the be-all-and-end-all.
They are no certainties, development and injury free playing is also crucial.

The arrival of the franchise clubs has made smart clubs think outside the square and find decent players who are not top rated 18 year olds. And there has been some absolute gems unearthed.

2006 - #7 Joel Selwood - thanks Hawthorn. WIN

2005 - #15 Travis Varcoe - 119 games and still going, although arguably treading water into his 9th season. Not many superstars selected after him though - a few very handy players but no horrible oversights really. DRAW

And thank you right back. If not for the jittery basket-case that is Travis Varcoe, we may not have banked flag #11 last year. So cheers!:thumbsu:

• 2003: Walker - one of my favourite players. Saved his career after shoulder injuries.
  • 2004: Russell - could have picked Egan, Wood, Pattison, Meyer, Thomson, Bate or another first rounder who didn't get to 125 games. Poor draft.
  • 2005: Murphy and Kennedy - gun mid and gun KPP
  • 2006: Gibbs - no brainer.
  • 2007: Kreuzer - deserves a Walker-style change of luck with injury. Don't realise how valuable he is until he's out. Always give it everything and clears a path for his teammates.
  • 2008: Yarran - one of my favourites like Walker. Arguably our best player this year. Put in the effort and tried to spark us when our stars were down.
  • 2009: Lucas - will be a pass if he avoids further injuries. Arguably just getting back to the player he was in his first season. Bad hamstrings and bad hips ruined his first and second seasons. Practically doubled his 2011 and 2012 games tally in 2013.
  • 2010 and 2011: GC and GWS lives here. Two players for the development coaches. Everyone wanted us to take a KPP...
  • 2012: Menzel - jet with ticker and skill.
  • 2013: Cripps - clearance beast who will play midfield and rest forward. Smart footballer who makes up his lack of speed.

2014 and some Cats fans still don't get how important this guy has been since drafted.

Ridiculously bad call.

Varcoe very underrated IMO - would happily have him at Richmond if your fans don't want him :D

Hopefully his career (when its all said and done) isn't defined/remembered for his miss in that loss last year to break the curse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richard Tambling
Danny Meyer
Jarrad Oakley-Nichols

Aaron Fiora, for a blast from the past.

I guess it depends on your definition of 'recent'. JON was a 2005 bust but the Hawks took Ellis and Dowler before him and they didn't exactly prove shrewd picks. More recently, Thorp was taken in 2006.

Since about 2006, we've generally had a good run with our first rounders. The 2 big question marks would be Vickery (who still has time and at least shown some talent at the level) and Griffiths (who is coming good now with a clean run of health).

Yeah that's their old history, under Greg Miller I think, but their recent first round draft history is a lot better.

This. After we moved on Miller and actually started financing our footy department a bit, we seemingly have done a bit better (at least in the first round picks department).

That 2004 Draft sends chills.

Luke McGuane was pick 32

While 2004 was a definite shocker, there perhaps is some silver lining. Of the crop we took, 3 players reached at least 100 games for us (Lids, Tambling and McGuane) so we at least get father son access down the track if they have any promising sons. :D

2006- Jack Reiwoldt (#13)- Double Coleman medalist :thumbsu:
2007- Trent Cotchin (#2)- Captain, champion :thumbsu:
2008- Tyrone Vickery (#8)- Continues to tease with potential, but then hands out s**t like this season so far, jury still out
2009- Dustin Martin (#3)- Jet :thumbsu:
2010- Reece Conca (#6)- Will be a good 200+ game player, just sucks Heppell was the pick after him :thumbsu:
2011- Brandon Ellis (#15)- Has looked really good so far, shaky start to this year but should be a gun :thumbsu:
2012- Nick Vlastuin (#9)- Gun player, next captain of the club :thumbsu:
2013- Ben Lennon (#12)- Too Early

Not sure why OP only went back to 2006, but i'll roll with it seeing as our recruiting was completely s**t before then :D. Assuming Vickery pulls his finger out and becomes the player he should be and Lennon lives up to expectations we should have nailed our last 8 first round picks, which is pretty good. If only we were able to find players from the second round onwards......

Only cotchin and martin are a plus. The rest... The less said the better

04 - Roughead (2):thumbsu:, Franklin (5):thumbsu:, Lewis (7) :thumbsu:
05 - Ellis (3):thumbsdown:, Dowler (6):thumbsdown:, Birchall (14):thumbsu:, Bailey (18):thumbsu:
06 - Thorp (6):thumbsdown:
07 - Rioli (12):thumbsu:
08 - Schoenmakers (16):thumbsu: (I think he will become a good player, others may disagree)
09 - Complicated trade (9) Burgoyne :thumbsu:
10 - I. Smith (19) :thumbsu:
11 - Traded (19) Gunston :thumbsu:
12 - Traded (21) Lake :thumbsu:
13 - Traded (18, 19) McEvoy (will see, looks ok):thumbsu:

Missed badly with the first 2 in 05 and 06, but I was actually pleasantly suprised.
Ellis is a premiership player, lets not forget. And has had nothing but wretched luck with injuries.

Quality player when fit. If Bailey gets a thumbs up then so does Xavier.

Dowler and Thorp are the big blunders, but not entirely the selectors fault that they didn't work out.

Dees

2001 - Molan:thumbsdown:
2002 - Bell:thumbsdown:, Smith:thumbsdown:
2003 - Sylvia:thumbsdown:, McLean:thumbsdown:
2004 - Bate :thumbsdown:, Dunn:thumbsdown:
2005 - Jones:thumbsu:
2006 - Frawley:thumbsu:
2007 - Morton:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:, Grimes... good player but injuries make it a meh
2008 - Watts:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
2009 - Scully :mad:, Trengove:thumbsdown:, Gysberts:thumbsdown:
2010 - Cook :thumbsdown:
2011 - Traded for Mitch Clark, hardly played because of injuries and retired:thumbsdown:
2012 - Toumpas... too early to tell but looking really poor for a #4 draft pick when people like Wines and Macrae are already starring :thumbsdown:
2013 - Salem... too early to tell

We win :drunk:
This is a bit misleading. Sylvia and McLean are no stars but are 2 of the best performed players from that draft. Others to feature in the top 10 that year were Raph Clarke, Kane Tenace, Kepler Bradley, Ryley Dunn, David Trotter.

Lynden Dunn has been servicable for a late first round pick.

Mitch Clark was looking an inspired trade until a freak injury.

Far too early to give Toumpas a thumbs-down.

Despite my rebuttals, we are still the worst. Morton, Watts, Scully and Trengove... terrible drafting over a long stretch at the pointy end. Karma for tanking, probably.

Ellis is a premiership player, lets not forget. And has had nothing but wretched luck with injuries.

Quality player when fit. If Bailey gets a thumbs up then so does Xavier.

Dowler and Thorp are the big blunders, but not entirely the selectors fault that they didn't work out.
X didn't become the player he should have, injuries obviously being the major reason, thumbs down is a harsh call, but at pick 3 you need to be harsh. I have always been a supporter of his though, mind you, I did think he was a bit vanilla.
Bailey gets a :thumbsu: due to being a late 1st round pick.

X didn't become the player he should have, injuries obviously being the major reason, thumbs down is a harsh call, but at pick 3 you need to be harsh. I have always been a supporter of his though, mind you, I did think he was a bit vanilla.
Bailey gets a :thumbsu: due to being a late 1st round pick.
Geez, I reckon most other sides would be wrapt if they drafted a player who played in a premiership.

This is a bit misleading. Sylvia and McLean are no stars but are 2 of the best performed players from that draft. Others to feature in the top 10 that year were Raph Clarke, Kane Tenace, Kepler Bradley, Ryley Dunn, David Trotter.

Lynden Dunn has been servicable for a late first round pick.

Mitch Clark was looking an inspired trade until a freak injury.

Far too early to give Toumpas a thumbs-down.

Despite my rebuttals, we are still the worst. Morton, Watts, Scully and Trengove... terrible drafting over a long stretch at the pointy end. Karma for tanking, probably.
Yeah, Sylvia is almost a neutral for me, it's just the fact he never lived up to the type.

McLean is a campaigner.

Dunn has been good since last year... but before that, I couldn't watch him play without throwing up.

If Clark was Ablett he'd still be a thumbs down. 15 games and an understandable, but very frustrating retirement for a first round draft pick.

Toumpas struggling so poorly with the pace of the game, and don't get me started on his "elite" disposal efficiency. Average at best. Only 20 but has nothing to build on...

Only cotchin and martin are a plus. The rest... The less said the better

Jack Riewoldt was by far the best player available at pick 13. The next best alternatives were Todd Goldstein and Kurt Tippett, and they both went in the 30's. In fact he'd be in the top 2-5 of that draft overall. Dual Coleman medalist and excellent pick up.

Ellis, Conca and Vlastuin have all justified their pics too.

Why pack it in on Watts and Trengrove?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back