Is this the End for Will?

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With the Drinks reluctance to play Will even against Sandilands is this the end. I personally would play him in front all our ruckman at the moment, even though I acknowledge he does not take enough marks and his coverage of the ground is only fair.

The Drinks game plan requires an extra runner early in the second half and he needs to sub a tall (in the 2 games we lost we did not have this option and it certainly showed last week with limited rotations through injury) .

Although I am no fan of Cordy he can be used in more positions than Will if he is not the tall to be subbed off.

Not sure if a change to the sub rule next season will save Will.

He's been written off before... I don't think it's about Will, I think it's more about the hulking ruck style. Campbell hasn't been picked either, and Cordy has been pretty abysmal in all games except vs Saints

Not sure Cordy is the answer either, might be an ok back ruck IMO. Minson can't jump, can't mark, kicks average and give away lots of frees. The Paddy Ryders, NicNats and Grundy's are going to run ring around him over the next couple of seasons. Personally unless Campbell's shows signs of coming on soon, I'd be throwing lots of money towards someone like Witts, Sinclair or Zac Smith. Never going to win a flag with ruckman who just stand there a push.

Will is a fighter and will certainly be back. I guess Beveridge is giving Cordy enough time completely prove he is not an AFL ruckman.

Every player in the game has an endpoint no matter how
great or how poor they are in talent terms. There is no
doubt Will is still in his prime, but there are times when
the requirements of a game style are foreign to a
player so used to doing it his way.

I am sure all the ruckmen will get a chance to show
their wares, but they are all behind our number one
ruck Lin Jong.o_O

Despite Minson and Campbell being contracted for next year and Cordy being given a lengthy apprenticeship, it's odds on that at least one of these won't be at the club in 2016. Campbell is going OK at VFL level but I think his development may have tapered off. The fact that he seems not to be on the radar at all is a concern. With mobility a mandatory quality for ruckmen these days, both he and Minson might find opportunities remain slim.
Unless one of our three really stakes a claim for the Number 1, we may very well be looking for a replacement at season's end.

Not the end at all.

I think he'll force his way back into the side this year. But even if he doesn't, I predict he will have a big year next year either for us or someone else. Getting rid of the sub will go some way to helping the less pacy ruckmen such as Will get back in the game.

We should make a play for Leuenberger, a change of scenery is on the cards for him but I'd say he'd be odds on for Freo as I can't see Sandilands going around much longer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should make a play for Leuenberger, a change of scenery is on the cards for him but I'd say he'd be odds on for Freo as I can't see Sandilands going around much longer
Freo have like 6 rucks on their list, doubt it. Clarke, Hannath, Griffin, Apeness etc in reserve, and probably one or two others on the rookie list.

I love Wilbur and hope he gets back.
I think everyone is forgetting what he is capable of.

I love the guy but as a ruck there has never been much structure to his taps/punches. I don't rate his AA award although I'm sure a statistician may prove me wrong. Just seems like it's always been utterly random where his taps go (to the dogs or the oppo) so where is the value of first touch if it's not being directed to his teammates advantage? I could certainly live with a trade if it was to our advantage and it was something Will wanted to do. Rocket seems the perfect fit as he always rated him. No point staying on our list if he can't get game time and he can somewhere else.

I'd go for someone mobile but can give us first use. Youd think any young ruckman would be crawling over hot coals to take our no 1 ruck spot.

I love the guy but as a ruck there has never been much structure to his taps/punches. I don't rate his AA award although I'm sure a statistician may prove me wrong. Just seems like it's always been utterly random where his taps go (to the dogs or the oppo) so where is the value of first touch if it's not being directed to his teammates advantage? I could certainly live with a trade if it was to our advantage and it was something Will wanted to do. Rocket seems the perfect fit as he always rated him. No point staying on our list if he can't get game time and he can somewhere else.
Not sure Rocket had much of an opinion of him TBH

Am I the only one who didn't see a prolonged stint in the wilderness coming? I thought he was great against West Coast (and people were singing his praises), and then two weeks later he's out of the team for good. Is there something else behind it than just footy?

Minson just doesn't get around the ground anywhere near quick enough . Doesn't clunk enough grabs either, and he gave a bit of verbal to a few of his teammates today. Totally frustrated

Freo have like 6 rucks on their list, doubt it. Clarke, Hannath, Griffin, Apeness etc in reserve, and probably one or two others on the rookie list.

Correct, plus we have put three years development into another ruckman called Moller. Hannath and Big Griff are dominating the WAFL, so I wouldn't imagine a ruckman would be a priority. If someone has a good KPF available, on the other hand, please call the Freo management urgently!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back