Analysis Is this the season that makes our squad mentally tough?

Hello Tigarians,

At the early stages of the season it looked as if the Elimination Final defeat to Carlton had proven mentally Carlton had it over us.
We essentially threw the game when we needed to stand up.
When we lost to the Bulldogs it seemed to me that our group of players might have had the skills physically, but not mentally to be a powerhouse of the future.

Fast forward and we are vying for a finals berth and have gone on an epic run of wins (whether you have bought into it, or are too stubborn still) you have to think has something FINALLY clicked after 30+ years at Tigerland that has our squad becoming a mentally very tough side?

Look to the great teams of the modern (and previous) era's and they were all mentally strong.
Geelong and Sydney recently spring to mind that they were NEVER out of the game no matter the score and have come back in some thrillers.
Even West Coast at the top of their game.

So even if we don't quite make the finals has turning around a season that was dead and gone and nearly had catastrophic consequences proven that we are becoming a very resilient team to play?
It now feels like we wont ever throw the towel in anymore.

This is Tigerland again.
This is greatness forming.

Do discuss, I'm very interested for both sides of the argument, if anyone even disagrees.

Cheers,
Tigerland55.

Apr 10, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes. Can't remember the last time we won a game like the Adelaide one. Season on the line, get run down late but then show the maturity and class to get the last few goals and get the 4 points.

Even if we don't make finals, the second half of the season will give a lot of hope and belief to players and supporters moving into 2015

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Yes. Can't remember the last time we won a game like the Adelaide one. Season on the line, get run down late but then show the maturity and class to get the last few goals and get the 4 points.

Even if we don't make finals, the second half of the season will give a lot of hope and belief to players and supporters moving into 2015

last time was 1 game ago against the bombers when they came hard at us with 10 minutes to go.... we stoop up and steadied.

last time was 1 game ago against the bombers when they came hard at us with 10 minutes to go.... we stoop up and steadied.
Yep. The G, Friday night, Bombers on a roll.
Was usually a game we lose by 40.

I'd love to see how we would go against Collingwood at the G on a Friday night now.

Conca Truck

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, I reckon we're mentally tougher.
Thought the Bombers and Crows would run over us in the last quarter, but great resilience from our boys to stand up and win the game. It's definitely something we've improved on.

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
The real pressure on us comes with expectation..... there is virtually none at the moment in terms of us being expected to make it. Want to see how we go when we are being hunted rather than the other way round.... strong teams can hunt anyone and turn it back the opposition when things aren't going their way. We almost did it against the Dogs and Cats, we couldn't against Melb, we didn't turn up at all for Dreamtime, we were useless against the Pies and Hawks and started to turn it against Freo and Sydney in terms of competitiveness.

I hope this is the start of a big culture change at Tigerland but I think we won't really know until 2015. That isn't me trying to be negative as most would call me a 'brightsider' but I think I'm just a realist. Few things are as good or bad as they seem....

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
We definitely did become mentally strong after the last two weeks. The fact that we are 7-0 with Port, West Coast, Essendon and Adelaide in the run shows mental stamina. The latter three had their season on the line when we played them

The real pressure on us comes with expectation..... there is virtually none at the moment in terms of us being expected to make it. Want to see how we go when we are being hunted rather than the other way round.... strong teams can hunt anyone and turn it back the opposition when things aren't going their way. We almost did it against the Dogs and Cats, we couldn't against Melb, we didn't turn up at all for Dreamtime, we were useless against the Pies and Hawks and started to turn it against Freo and Sydney in terms of competitiveness.

I hope this is the start of a big culture change at Tigerland but I think we won't really know until 2015. That isn't me trying to be negative as most would call me a 'brightsider' but I think I'm just a realist. Few things are as good or bad as they seem....
While I agree to a point, I feel the pressure is right on Richmond now.
I don't get the whole "only winning because of no finals pressure"...

from 3 weeks ago the pressure has been right on us, and we are now a legitimate finals contender so there is as much pressure as last year when we won?

Ralll

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I think they are getting tougher, they realize how to play the situation now, keep backing the structures, running hard and winning the contested ball.
Its usually these things that fall off when we panic and go into our shells.

Apr 10, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond

Granted, difference being they never took the lead in the last though. Away from home, with the Saturday results falling our way, the race for the 8 suddenly became a little wider and we stood up under the pressure. Was a great win :thumbsu:

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
While I agree to a point, I feel the pressure is right on Richmond now.
I don't get the whole "only winning because of no finals pressure"...

from 3 weeks ago the pressure has been right on us, and we are now a legitimate finals contender so there is as much pressure as last year when we won?

We are still the biggest underdog of the teams out of it (apart from Gold Coast perhaps and the Pies with their injuries).... so little pressure. If things go our way.... we'll be in the 8 after round 22, needing a win to stay in there.... that will be pressure.

I think this dawn is different but end of season wins when the season is effectively shot (as ours was based on all available history), is different to the pressure to win games when you are very much expected to and in the mix. So like I said, I'm reserving judgement until about round 11 next season...

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
What does everyone think has been the difference?

Our defensive play has stayed the same when we dont have the ball.... we were winning the ball even when we were playing s**t.... now when we have the ball we are playing direct forward play.... moving the ball quick and attacking the forwardline in dangerous spots when the game is on the line. We are taking the opposition putting them under pressure with our proactive pay.... Sides cant pick us off like the could earlier in the year when we were stagnate and were scared to take risks. We were clearly to instructed to "keep" the ball at all cost..... we played safe which made us slow... this allowed the opposition to get back and crowd our forwardline.... our only option was to kick to the pockets and hope to force a stoppage and score.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Granted, difference being they never took the lead in the last though. Away from home, with the Saturday results falling our way, the race for the 8 suddenly became a little wider and we stood up under the pressure. Was a great win :thumbsu:

scoreboard aside it was a mirror image of the crows game.... we were against the ropes in both games and found away. Its character lifting stuff.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
It's all about having belief. We've now got it and why bc we now have leaders everywhere
For the first time in years I'm now seeing guys pointing fingers or waving to other guy to pick up a man or to run with them
It's fxxking wonderful the leadership out there . The coming of age of Ellis and Griffo has been terrific as well as the two big generals back fully fit (Rance and Ivan) . I'm now fully convinced our losing culture is dead and buried and the glory days are back

TheTigerArmy

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Hello Tigarians,

At the early stages of the season it looked as if the Elimination Final defeat to Carlton had proven mentally Carlton had it over us.
We essentially threw the game when we needed to stand up.
When we lost to the Bulldogs it seemed to me that our group of players might have had the skills physically, but not mentally to be a powerhouse of the future.

Fast forward and we are vying for a finals berth and have gone on an epic run of wins (whether you have bought into it, or are too stubborn still) you have to think has something FINALLY clicked after 30+ years at Tigerland that has our squad becoming a mentally very tough side?

Look to the great teams of the modern (and previous) era's and they were all mentally strong.
Geelong and Sydney recently spring to mind that they were NEVER out of the game no matter the score and have come back in some thrillers.
Even West Coast at the top of their game.

So even if we don't quite make the finals has turning around a season that was dead and gone and nearly had catastrophic consequences proven that we are becoming a very resilient team to play?
It now feels like we wont ever throw the towel in anymore.

This is Tigerland again.
This is greatness forming.

Do discuss, I'm very interested for both sides of the argument, if anyone even disagrees.

Cheers,
Tigerland55.
I reckon we have two thing we havnt had in thirty years..a team with skill and with time they are getting mentally tuff ...im telling u mark it down GREAT things are coming to this club within 3 years we will win a flag

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
Hello Tigarians,

I read that as Targaryens

Dany-heart.png

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I really believe this year is the year that it finally clicked for our boys to no longer being satisfied with up and down performances. Take away our wins for a second, the signs were there during the freo and sydney games. We are now playing accountable footy, the players are assessing there game and its always about how to get better. We are tackling like we never have and it comes down to belief IMO. I really think the players believe they should be considered a top side and they believe in each other and KNOW the players around them are quality.

I am a strong believer now that we will win more then we lose from this moment onward, its going to be great! lol

Back