Analysis Is this the season that makes our squad mentally tough?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's all about having belief. We've now got it and why bc we now have leaders everywhere
For the first time in years I'm now seeing guys pointing fingers or waving to other guy to pick up a man or to run with them
It's fxxking wonderful the leadership out there . The coming of age of Ellis and Griffo has been terrific as well as the two big generals back fully fit (Rance and Ivan) . I'm now fully convinced our losing culture is dead and buried and the glory days are back
Well said! Stark contrast to the first 10 weeks where some of our leaders were missing and some were not performing at their best. We are still a young side and the younger group of players look for inspiration on the field when the chips are down. To his credit Dimma was very optimistic about a turnaround sooner than later and has proved it in the last 2 months. For me personally, its a bit early to judge if our culture has changed but we are for sure on the right track. 2015 will show if we bask in glory of success for coming years or just crawl back to the wilderness of last 3 decades.!

Can't remember the last time we won a game like the Adelaide one.

I'd say all four of our most recent games have been something like that. The game was on the line deep into the last quarter, against quality opposition, all playing for high stakes. Unprecedented to get four of those wins in a row. ******* awesome.

While I agree to a point, I feel the pressure is right on Richmond now.
I don't get the whole "only winning because of no finals pressure"...

from 3 weeks ago the pressure has been right on us, and we are now a legitimate finals contender so there is as much pressure as last year when we won?
I agree. The pressure has been on us to continue this run and we have won in WA, SA and now at the g against another top 8 contender with all to play for.

I really believe this year is the year that it finally clicked for our boys to no longer being satisfied with up and down performances. Take away our wins for a second, the signs were there during the freo and sydney games. We are now playing accountable footy, the players are assessing there game and its always about how to get better. We are tackling like we never have and it comes down to belief IMO. I really think the players believe they should be considered a top side and they believe in each other and KNOW the players around them are quality.

I am a strong believer now that we will win more then we lose from this moment onward, its going to be great! lol
I reckon we simply stated to be better in all aspects and we wont accept mediocre actions that effect all the team. An example of this is, I heard in an interview the players told Griff if he believes how good he can be. Leadership.

I'd love to see how we would go against Collingwood at the G on a Friday night now.
I'd actually like to see how we go should round 23 be an actual meaningful game. Collingwood now is akin to playing a cellar dweller, Sydney in Sydney with everything to play for. That is where we can once and for all prove that we've turned the corner.

Assuming we win this weekend against the Saints, we could be in 8th spot needing to beat Sydney to maintain our spot. In years gone past these are the games that we've well and truly failed to deliver in and IMO until we can deliver in them then we haven't achieved anything. Plenty of times in years gone past we've been able to beat a top side in games that meant nothing, next weekend will mean everything if we're in position to be playing for something.

Maybe..... maybe it is. Big changes still need to be made. Leppa and Campbo still need to be replaced by the best available. The players need to continue to challenge each other.... the coach needs to continue to be harder on the players.... they can be mates for the off-season after we win a flag.... and then back to being coach and players once the next pre-season starts. It goes a bit against human nature but it's the way it has to be....

The passengers in the squad need to go.... anyone not busting arse to get better should not be part of the team going forward.... The lesson may not have been learned yet.... let's see this time next year....

I read that as Targaryens

Dany-heart.png
So did I :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The real pressure on us comes with expectation..... there is virtually none at the moment in terms of us being expected to make it. Want to see how we go when we are being hunted rather than the other way round.... strong teams can hunt anyone and turn it back the opposition when things aren't going their way. We almost did it against the Dogs and Cats, we couldn't against Melb, we didn't turn up at all for Dreamtime, we were useless against the Pies and Hawks and started to turn it against Freo and Sydney in terms of competitiveness.

I hope this is the start of a big culture change at Tigerland but I think we won't really know until 2015. That isn't me trying to be negative as most would call me a 'brightsider' but I think I'm just a realist. Few things are as good or bad as they seem....

This post nails it. /end thread

There's a lot of guys that we've suggested are currently in 'career best form' of varying levels... Edwards, Martin, Miles, Griffiths etc.

It's sets the bar of expectation higher - for the player personally, their teammates, coaching staff and for us. They know what level they can and should be performing at, and hopefully retain the confidence and mental resolve to improve even more.

There's a lot of guys that we've suggested are currently in 'career best form' of varying levels... Edwards, Martin, Miles, Griffiths etc.

It's sets the bar of expectation higher - for the player personally, their teammates, coaching staff and for us. They know what level they can and should be performing at, and hopefully retain the confidence and mental resolve to improve even more.
But I would also say that we have upside too, as Conca, Vlastuin can be a lot fitter and better.

What does everyone think has been the difference?
For me i think its the invaluable experience of Dimma himself and Chocco Williams, its been a few years so i think weve forgotten what a tough hard nut and composed player Dimma was in some VERY tough and skilled sides that were coached by some of the games greats that were VERY sucessful. I would bet one of my nuts Dimma has passed on some priceless information to the boys over the years and as with any group it takes time for the coachs mantra to sink in. That brings me to Chocco, through being coach of Port Adelaide that poor bastard would know better than any of us how you can have the best team on the feild but if their mentally out of it you may as well stay home. To be fair though he found a way to make that squad almost invincible mentally and hell they only took down Leigh Mathews mighty Lions which was no easy task. For me its the leaders and developers of our young men we have now, success breeds success like nothing else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back