Is THIS what the AFL wanted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Beams wants to be closer to his ill father. Ryder wants out of a club that is a laughing stock. Griffen doesn't like being told home truths.

Nothing to do with free agency.

Hawthorn have lost more players to FA than they have gained( and the biggest name of all), yet people are losing their minds.

I hate to break it to you as I suspect this may come as a shock... not everything is about Hawthorn.

Did you read the OP at all?

Yeah. Obviously unlike you I didn't just read the last line. I just assumed it was a regular part of the Geelong / Hawthorn shitfight that we all have to endure and considered the fact that there might be some vague point within the rest of the text which wasn't one line at the end. Does that assuage your concern about my reading skills?

Yeah. Obviously unlike you I didn't just read the last line. I just assumed it was a regular part of the Geelong / Hawthorn shitfight that we all have to endure and considered the fact that there might be some vague point within the rest of the text which wasn't one line at the end. Does that assuage your concern about my reading skills?
You said that not everything is about Hawthorn, when the OP clearly makes it about Hawthorn in his post and is generally discussing strong teams getting stronger...again, Hawthorn.

:drunk:

I'm not concerned about your reading skills, just your comprehension.

You said that not everything is about Hawthorn, when the OP clearly makes it about Hawthorn in his post and is generally discussing strong teams getting stronger...again, Hawthorn.

:drunk:

I'm not concerned about your reading skills, just your comprehension.

So, do you have anything worthwhile to say on the topic or you're just here to fly the flag because a Geelong supporter sneezed in the shape of a Hawk?

Sorry, haven't read everything in the thread but there is a solution to all this.
The AFL need to get together with the clubs and take over all the player contracts. The players would then be employed by the AFL and not th clubs. The clubs wouldn't have an issue with this because they have to pay within the Cap so they just pay the cap to the AFL. The AFL would then be able to dictate where it's employees work. If a player doesn't want to be in Sydney then that's fine, they can come back to Victoria and play in the VFL but there is no job for them with their current employer, bring the AFL, as all positions in Victoria are filled.
Players would have no restraint of trade argument because there is only one employer... The clubs would still negotiate each contract as agents of the AFL.

So, do you have anything worthwhile to say on the topic or you're just here to fly the flag because a Geelong supporter sneezed in the shape of a Hawk?
Let me get this straight, in a thread where the Op is talking about strong clubs getting stronger and names Hawthorn as one, you're trying to take me to task for talking about Hawthorn?

I would say 'send in the clowns' but you're already here.

Previously did players not have to enter one of the drafts when out of contract if they wanted to move? Now they can use their impending free agency status in a way that they previously could not.

Players could always threaten to nominate for the PSD if they were not traded to the club of their choice. No real difference. Clubs have always had to face the problem of trading a guy while under contract or risk him falling out of contract and getting nothing.

These forums have been filled with hundreds of threads of people arguing that player X is worth pick 20, and replies saying he can walk out for nothing you should take pick 50 or risk getting nothing.

Regulate pay based on categories and you are not allowed to deviate from the amount that the category says.
Have as many categories as is reasonable and then allocate players accordingly.
If Sydney or anyone needs COLA then each of their categories goes up 9.8%, not just the top end.

Very loose example from Fremantle.
Category A - $500,000 a year. Players like Pavlich and Fyfe
Category B - $400,000 a year. Players like McPharlin, Sandilands, Johnson, Mundy and perhaps others.
Category C - $350,000 a year etc
Category D - $300,000 and so forth.

Go all the way down to rookie wage and whatever is minimal amount as a senior listed player.

No grey area. All black and white. No minimum amount of players in any category, but you obviously need to fit your list in.

Teams can have performance pay and other incentives, but again it is regulated through the AFL and all teams will have a set amount they can use. Captaincy or leadership groups for example could carry with them extra pay.

If a player wants to leave and is contracted, they take their pay to the next team and that's what that teams pay them! The AFL can compensate for this with a set structure. Example you lose a Category A we give you a first rounder to be used at the end of the first round. Should they not be contracted and want to leave for other reasons then guess what, they leave!

Trading players can also be done based on categories and using picks deemed worthy of that category.

Example Fyfe wants to leave at the end of his contract. He is Category A and therefore we must receive Category A from the club he is going to. Perhaps they don't have a Category A player, so then whatever is deemed a Category A draft pick is exchanged. Perhaps it's still a combination of upgrades, but whatever it is must fall within the parameters or guidelines of what constitutes a 'fair' trade. Teams can't haggle as there simply isn't any room to squeeze etc.

Deals get done. Players move. No stalemates. No players on ridiculous contracts.

Who's with me??

You could go to town on the blue print. Veterans receive 15% loading. Perhaps have games played loading. It could still be very flexible, whilst being quite rigid, if you know what I mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does free agency have to do with contracted players requesting trades?

Many of the ones requesting are only a year away from being able to nominate for Free Agency, so the can use the 'trade me' option to get where they want to go a year earlier as if they aren't traded, they are lost the next year for chook-lotto pick reimbursement from AFL house.

I think the one thing that needs to be stopped is players holding their clubs for ransom and nominating a club to be traded to while still under contract.

It's absolutely crap, especially first and second year players who do it. Brisbane was absolutely gutted last year because of it and its gotten even worse this year.

This is the issue. Free agents have the right to nominate clubs, which is fine, because under the guidelines provided by the AFL they've earned that right through long service, and whatever else constitutes triggers for FA. Guys saying "i have signed a contract with my club, and now i don't want to honor it anymore" is pure garbage. Players end up with what they want more often than not, and the club ends up giving away talent for a pick well under value, because there is no market when a player says "i want to play for Port Adelaide only".

The only way this situation will work is if the clubs are given the ability to deny player demands regarding where he ends up. If Patty Ryder has a year to go on his contract, and he want out he should absolutely not get a say in where he is sent. "oh you want to be traded, but we have a contract that says you will be here until 2015, that's fine, the Saints are offering us pick 6, sorry, Port only offered us pick 28, so looks like you'll be in Seaford next year.

This idea that loyalty is a 1 way street is crap, either both parties are made to pretend to be loyal, or be blow this s**t up and turn it into the NBA.

Regulate pay based on categories and you are not allowed to deviate from the amount that the category says.
Have as many categories as is reasonable and then allocate players accordingly.
If Sydney or anyone needs COLA then each of their categories goes up 9.8%, not just the top end.

Very loose example from Fremantle.
Category A - $500,000 a year. Players like Pavlich and Fyfe
Category B - $400,000 a year. Players like McPharlin, Sandilands, Johnson, Mundy and perhaps others.
Category C - $350,000 a year etc
Category D - $300,000 and so forth.

Go all the way down to rookie wage and whatever is minimal amount as a senior listed player.

No grey area. All black and white. No minimum amount of players in any category, but you obviously need to fit your list in.

Teams can have performance pay and other incentives, but again it is regulated through the AFL and all teams will have a set amount they can use. Captaincy or leadership groups for example could carry with them extra pay.

If a player wants to leave and is contracted, they take their pay to the next team and that's what that teams pay them! The AFL can compensate for this with a set structure. Example you lose a Category A we give you a first rounder to be used at the end of the first round. Should they not be contracted and want to leave for other reasons then guess what, they leave!

Trading players can also be done based on categories and using picks deemed worthy of that category.

Example Fyfe wants to leave at the end of his contract. He is Category A and therefore we must receive Category A from the club he is going to. Perhaps they don't have a Category A player, so then whatever is deemed a Category A draft pick is exchanged. Perhaps it's still a combination of upgrades, but whatever it is must fall within the parameters or guidelines of what constitutes a 'fair' trade. Teams can't haggle as there simply isn't any room to squeeze etc.

Deals get done. Players move. No stalemates. No players on ridiculous contracts.

Who's with me??

You could go to town on the blue print. Veterans receive 15% loading. Perhaps have games played loading. It could still be very flexible, whilst being quite rigid, if you know what I mean.

Sounds like a simple solution to a complex problem. :-/

I like it. It makes the comp more interesting as there are more changes.

we should re-introduce a mid year mini draft and trade period where players, with more than 2 years on a list and have played less than 30% of the games can change clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back