Is THIS what the AFL wanted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Weren't Ottens and Mooney, two key components of cats flags traded in? OP needs to suck it up.

Indeed, and they got Mooney when their captain asked to be traded to a particular club, which never happened before FA.

Seems to me like FA is actually decent for smaller clubs - North got Dal Santo for example.

Interesting article in The Age today:

Next year Tom Hawkins is a free agent when his contract expires. Until now a club like Geelong would have commenced negotiating a new contract, but as Michael Gleeson writes, the Tom Boyd case has thrown this convention out the window:

"Where do you start? A week ago, you might have known where to start. A week ago, Hawkins and his manager might have known where to start. Not now. Not since the Western Bulldogs committed to paying Tom Boyd millions for what they hope he will do and not for what he has done.

If Boyd after nine games and eight goals can be paid between $6 million and $7 million, then what is Hawkins worth? What is the right price to pay for a player who has won two premierships, been All-Australian, won the club's best and fairest and has three times been its leading goalkicker? What do you pay the player who led the competition for contested marks last season? How much for the man who, at 26, is in his prime after 147 games and 286 goals?"

Who is responsible for creating this monster?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ISP006&promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=Mzc4ODEyMA

So you bumped your own thread with a big sook no different to your op. Well done.

'It is what it is.'

So you bumped your own thread with a big sook no different to your op. Well done.

'It is what it is.'
I bumped it because the article touched on the problem I was making in the op. no big sook, because the milk isn't spilled yet

I love how everybody goes on about the "US model". They still have drafts and trading over there. If anything, we're moving more towards the NRL or UK model. And good on them.

Having free agency from day dot would be ideal. It would be fairer on the players and the clubs. It's what the NRL does, and their competition is extremely even, without the need to handicap teams that finished up the top, and assist teams that finished down the bottom. Of course, for this to work, the salary cap needs to be fair and equal.

If anyone complains about free agency helping big clubs like the Hawks, what set of players would you rather:

1. Lance Franklin, Clinton Young, Tom Murphy, Xavier Ellis, Shane Savage
2. James Frawley, Ben McEvoy, Matthew Spangher

Last edited:
I think the AFL folded to pressure from the players union.

The only way it will cause equalisation is when the clubs who take free agents are restricted by their large contracts. It's made it very easy for teams challenging for the flag to top up providing they have salary cap space.

My concern is that it's robbing from lesser teams and holding particular teams up the top for longer. Hawthorn look like being dominant for a while, it's not all FA but it's helped them get ahead by addressing a couple of holes. However it may see them lose some young players who can't get a game or they can't pay. This goes for other clubs.

If anyone complains about free agency helping big clubs like the Hawks, what set of players would you rather:

1. Lance Franklin, Clinton Young, Tom Murphy, Xavier Ellis
If you take out the two outliers in Franklin and Frawley I'd rather 2.

My concern is that it's robbing from lesser teams and holding particular teams up the top for longer. Hawthorn look like being dominant for a while, it's not all FA but it's helped them get ahead by addressing a couple of holes. However it may see them lose some young players who can't get a game or they can't pay. This goes for other clubs.
One hole.
Just one.
You know, the number after zero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Lance Franklin, Clinton Young, Tom Murphy, Xavier Ellis, Shane Savage

IMO, you need to include Lake here - who threatened to leave under FA unless he was traded to the Hawks. Which is an emerging trend, players threatening to walk - so clubs hands are tied and they want to receive some, rather than poor compensation. But your point is correct, you have lost players to FA as well as gained them.

However, the purpose of FA was actually to help the likes of Young, Murphy, Spangher move - to get either greater opportunities or additional money. The purpose of it now is for big name players to pick where they would like to go (which will be either a club in premiership contention, or on the cusp of it); the smaller fish are just afterthoughts.

Garbage!! What is happening now is concealing the fact free agency is working well for Hawthorn (hats off to you) and Collingwood, i.e., the power-clubs
Free agency has not, in anyway, worked well for Collingwood. * me the hysteria is out of control.

based on what?

That every other sporting competition upon attempting to implement free agency when a contract finishes, are free to enter a new one. Although non Australian stuff isn't always considered in our system naturally. See Bosman Ruling implemented by the EU for soccer.

Basic 101 contract law, actually you could spin out plenty of binding precedents and take it down easily. Make free agency kick in when a contract finishes (don't know if you expect me to recite cases to back myself up here).

I think the AFL folded to pressure from the players union.

Wasn't Mr Integrity Jobe Watson going to conduct a sit down protest in the middle of a game?

That every other sporting competition upon attempting to implement free agency when a contract finishes, are free to enter a new one. Although non Australian stuff isn't always considered in our system naturally. See Bosman Ruling implemented by the EU for soccer.

Basic 101 contract law, actually you could spin out plenty of binding precedents and take it down easily. Make free agency kick in when a contract finishes (don't know if you expect me to recite cases to back myself up here).

I'd love to read these cases out of interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back