Is Thurston better than Johns? Is Thurston the GOAT?

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Johnathon Thurston
Dally M medals - 4
Golden Boot awards - 3
Clive Churchill medals - 1
NRL Premierships - 2
NRL grand finals - 3
SOO series wins - 9
SOO MOTM awards - 5
World Cup titles - 1
World Cup final MOTM awards - 1

Club games - 268
Club tries - 83
Club goals - 724
Club field goals - 14

SOO games - 33
SOO tries - 5
SOO goals - 94
SOO field goals - 2

International tests - 32
International tries - 12
International goals - 142
International field goals - 0

Andrew Johns

Dally M medals - 3
Golden Boot awards - 2
Clive Churchill medals - 1
NRL Premierships - 2
NRL grand finals - 2
SOO series wins - 5
SOO MOTM awards - 4
World Cup titles - 2
World Cup final MOTM awards - 1

Club games - 252
Club tries - 81
Club goals - 929
Club field goals - 23

SOO games - 23
SOO tries - 4
SOO goals - 37
SOO field goals - 4

International tests - 24
International tries - 7
International goals - 78
International field goals - 0

I have listed the achievement and stats I believe are important above. So Thurston is either equal or has Johns covered in just about every category except world cup titles and club goals. Of course Thurston is still playing and will likely better his club goals and probably add another world cup title in 2017. So has Thurston officially gone past Johns in greatness? Is he the GOAT? Many of Thurston's records mentioned above are actually all-time records so that must be considered when discussing his GOAT status.

No arrests. No drug issues. Played in 2 positions at the highest level. His only drawback was he didn't have Channel 9 constantly trumpeting his achievements.

Jonathan Thurston easily better than 'Joey'.

Both Johns and Thurston are similar, probably rate Johns fractionally more as he has made poor sides win premierships. For all Thurston's praise last year, the Cowboys had a great roster
People say this but those Knight sides were filled with star players as well O'Davis, Albert, MacDougall, MJohns, Harrogan, Gidley, Tahu, Buderus, Kennedy, etc.

People say this but those Knight sides were filled with star players as well O'Davis, Albert, MacDougall, MJohns, Harrogan, Gidley, Tahu, Buderus, Kennedy, etc.

He won a premiership with the great Sean Rudder at 5/8! Need I say more!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a sense it was, however..
The Rothmans medal was voted by the referees, whilst the Dally M is voted by the commentators..
Semantics.

Rothman's Medal was for the best player in the game.

As the Dally M is now.

I don't know about better than Johns (didn't see enough of him play), but JT is certainly the best player kicking around right now.

Thurston may be a statistcly better player but in terms of domination over one single game of football no one has done it better than johns or lewis perhaps. Also joeys defence gets the nod over thurstons just like to add that.

Thurston is the better halfback. Johns the better player IMO.

He didn't play there much but in his handful of games at hooker for NSW johns was outstanding, his defence and his directing of play was equal to that of a regular dummy half.

Thurston can't really help the defence thing, he is built a lot more slightly than Joey was, far less natural strength so he's never going to dish out tackles like Joey, but for his size he actually defends quite well. As a pure playmaker I don't think I've ever seen a better half than Thurston but yeah, loses out a bit to Joey's versatility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back