Isaac Smith - mmmmmmmm- lovely.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd take Watts any day. The hardest position to fill in a side is a KP forward and he is going to be a beauty.

Please mate.

Nic Nat>Goldstein>>>>>>daylight>>>watts.

Devilfish has owned this thread.

For the record- Cunnington looks ok to me just at this stage.

And tbqh thus far with respect to Gary, Harper = Rohan in output IMO

Was it 30 possessions though Champ?
4 clangers & you're bagging him? If you kept that same premise for NMFC players, you'd be bagging at least 3-4 players every week, but for some reason, when NM players make errors, you're happy to ignore that.

If a NM 1st year player had a game like Smith did in his 1st final, you'd be touting him as a future hall-of-famer. Imagine Harper or Atley played a final like that this year. NM BF would go into melt-down.

But anyway, my point is, & has been - in my humble opinion, for the last 7 years, we have lacked skill & outside run. Gary Rohan & Isaac Smith seemed obvious choices to me BEFORE their respective drafts. I feel we took the `safe' options, but there's nothing worse than a `safe' bet falling through. I'd much rather see a risky bet fall through personally. I hope like all of us, that the guys in the know at NMFC made the right selections & Atley & Cunnington become stars, which they may, but to sum it up - I am bemused that we passed on 2 players that to me, seem EXACTLY what we needed.

Dont feel you have to keep defending the NMFC there Knackers. We're all in this together.

If one of North's players had 4 clangers in a 5 goal loss you would be the first to stick the knives in regardless of how many good disposals they have.

I don't get you at all. You bemoan the fact that we didn't get run in Smith and Rohan yet completely ignore the fact that we got Atley and Bastinac in those drafts.

You say Atley was the safe option but I don't see how you can call him safe when their were doubts about his disposal.

I would have thought Harper has shownj more than Rohan.

If you can sprint past two blokes in modern football then you are a legend.

Isaac Smith, Gary Rohan, Majak Daw.............all legends.

I agree that we're all in this together and North players should not be defended mindlessly. Having said that, I truly believe:

Atley > I Smith (> Richardson); and

Cunnington > Rohan

So, whilst Isaac and Rohan have indeed at times looked tasty, I'm happier with our guys.

Atley definatly does have upside for the future, being about 3 years younger

Also, any coincidence that his disposal efficiency suffered since he's clearly a skinny outside player playing in horrid conditions (wind/Rain). You cant expect him to dominate in those types of games where it's all about inside players gaining meters.

Atley definatly does have upside for the future, being about 3 years younger

Also, any coincidence that his disposal efficiency suffered since he's clearly a skinny outside player playing in horrid conditions (wind/Rain). You cant expect him to dominate in those types of games where it's all about inside players gaining meters.
Wouldn't have helped. That said he had 10 uncontested marks and 18 of his possessions were uncontested. When he kicks he is usually in space and has as much or more time than most players to use it.

Even so Hawthorn should be pleased they snared him, but the main point some of us are making here is he doesnt really fill a need for us.

Agree totally.

Now, regarding your avatar: I think this bloke might be our big improver this year and will make many around the league and in the media sit up and take notice. He's got a bag of tricks, this guy.
tbh, they've noticed him right from the start. One of our few that they've done that with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been very impressed with his last month. Pace, skill and poise - exactly what we have been craving. I know everyone here is gonna tell me how rapt they are with Atley and that the proof will be in the pudding, just like how Hansen was a better selection than Selwood, but gee, Smith looks very, very handy.
My close hombre Zondor did say pre-draft "I really like the look of Isaac Smith. He'd be my pick if he's still available." and don't forget, this is the same man who said to me in mid 1998, "I can't believe that Goodes went at #46 last year. He looked real good in the under 18's finals. And he's from Victoria FFS!" And yes, the rest is history.

And I actually like the look Atley and can understand why we snapped him up and overlooked Smith, but I'm tipping Hawthorn are rapt off their **** that Smith is in the brown and gold.

Smiths goal in the GF was pure x-factor - not sure how many guys at NM, if any, could have nailed that goal from 55m -maybe Mullett? That's the sort of stuff we lack at NM. And yes, Atley has potential and may become a terrific player, but gee, Isaac Smith has already proven that his pace and skill are genuine weapons. This will be an interesting thread to revisit in 5 years.

Smiths goal in the GF was pure x-factor - not sure how many guys at NM, if any, could have nailed that goal from 55m -maybe Mullett? That's the sort of stuff we lack at NM. And yes, Atley has potential and may become a terrific player, but gee, Isaac Smith has already proven that his pace and skill are genuine weapons. This will be an interesting thread to revisit in 5 years.

His footskills ain't that precise.
He kicks it long but he can spray them.
He is speedy, I will give you that.

Ziebell literally kicked that exact goal against Collingwood a month ago

Smith is as soft as butter not a player I reckon kicks like a mule and plays like one suits hawks

I'd sum him up as a confident young player who is playing in a star studded lineup and has pace to burn. Average skills and average overhead. He is the cream of a very good side and honestly I think he'd struggle in a poor side.

Would much rather Atley, Mullet and Luke McDonald. The first two have developed into match winners, and didnt have the luxury of stepping into a premiership side.

In other words Smith is overrated. Nice goal though.

Xfactor is the reason I want to see fishy taken away from Hbf role.....which means we need to find another person back......hya waffer jnr?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back