Israel Folau - Why did he fail?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett destroyed? I dont think so.... unless you're talking about a few of the opposition putting a spear tackle on him. That being said, I'm not sure that AFL footballers would like to play a game for a couple of hours where they didnt have to engage their brain.
If he turned up tomorrow? Yeah destroyed

I reckon ablett/swan would have the best crack to make union out of any AFL player. League probably not. I reckon his power wouldnt be diminished by putting on 15 kilos maybe a bit short

What is your point? They all play as a halfback one of the hardest positions to play mentally in union you need to be constantly switched on you control what the forwards are doing and in combination with the fly half control what the backs are doing. Yes I am aware that only one of those blokes did play union. Also in the halves is the position where you can hide a smaller bloke. Also league the backs tend to be smaller that is why guys Sam Burgess and SBW play as a lock in the NRL but in the centres in union. A guy like Gaz would never make it if he tried to jump codes and that is also something he will never try and do

I would be willing to bet, if a top 5 AFL player had a 2 year crack at it, they would make a more than respectable full back in a super 15 side.

I played AFL all my life, and moved up to Sydney for work, I played full back for the lower grades of Randwick (A VFL equivalent side), so the 3rds were probably the equivalent of the EFL or VAFA in Sydney.

I hadn't played a second of the game in my life before going there, and did only half of the pre-season before I was placed there.

The skills are absolutely interchangeable, they do heaps of kicking, expected to take all the high balls, they would become the designated kicker for the side, a pretty important role in modern union.

The game is rough, especially around the breakdowns, I played a bit of flanker later on, but the skills and fitness (like weve seen with Falou) make a massive difference, with the relative drop in running compared to their normal seasons, guys like Pendlebury (who is already big enough) would be able to pack the weight on very easily.

Someone like Chris Judd early days would of made an incredible outside center.

What is your point? They all play as a halfback one of the hardest positions to play mentally in union you need to be constantly switched on you control what the forwards are doing and in combination with the fly half control what the backs are doing. Yes I am aware that only one of those blokes did play union. Also in the halves is the position where you can hide a smaller bloke. Also league the backs tend to be smaller that is why guys Sam Burgess and SBW play as a lock in the NRL but in the centres in union. A guy like Gaz would never make it if he tried to jump codes and that is also something he will never try and do

There is very little skill in Rugby, If you gave someone like Ablett the same time Folau had to change body types he would make it easily. It's all about athleticism and agility

There is very little skill in Rugby, If you gave someone like Ablett the same time Folau had to change body types he would make it easily. It's all about athleticism and agility
Wrong there is a lot of skill involved in playing rugby it is just different to the skills needed in football, Ablett would not make playing rugby as the position suited to him requires a player who has a deep understanding of the game

I would be willing to bet, if a top 5 AFL player had a 2 year crack at it, they would make a more than respectable full back in a super 15 side.

I played AFL all my life, and moved up to Sydney for work, I played full back for the lower grades of Randwick (A VFL equivalent side), so the 3rds were probably the equivalent of the EFL or VAFA in Sydney.

I hadn't played a second of the game in my life before going there, and did only half of the pre-season before I was placed there.

The skills are absolutely interchangeable, they do heaps of kicking, expected to take all the high balls, they would become the designated kicker for the side, a pretty important role in modern union.

The game is rough, especially around the breakdowns, I played a bit of flanker later on, but the skills and fitness (like weve seen with Falou) make a massive difference, with the relative drop in running compared to their normal seasons, guys like Pendlebury (who is already big enough) would be able to pack the weight on very easily.

Someone like Chris Judd early days would of made an incredible outside center.

I was a flanker then I moved in to the tight 5 latter on. The physical demands of playing super 15's is great you get blokes who are 100+ kgs running the ball up as fast as a Cyril Rioli. That would take them a long time to get use to. It is similar in the same regard to footy in the fact that the lower down the grades you go the smaller the guys get. They would make the transition the the NRL a lot easier as the physicality is less and the backs are generally smaller. Without a doubt the skill Izzy learnt in the AFL made him the rugby player he is today but he already had all the physical attributes to make it

Interesting debate about Aussie Rules and Rugby League. I don't know all the nuts and bolts about rugby so it's pointless my trying to compare them.

Can anyone remember the Wally Lewis testimonial match? Robert DiPierdomenico was invited to play and obviously had no idea about the tactics of the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but rugby players don't seem to get involved in every play. They appear to stand up, back heel the ball and then take a bit of a rest. On the other hand, the Aussie Rules player is always told if the ball is within range, he's involved in the play.

Well, that night Dipper just ran all over the field and he was laying tackles, shaking off tackles, running in tries, etc. For memory he ran in at least 3 tries and the rugby commentators were quite impressed by him. Now, I have no idea if he would have gotten away with any of it in a fair dinkum game, bit it was food for thought.

I was a flanker then I moved in to the tight 5 latter on. The physical demands of playing super 15's is great you get blokes who are 100+ kgs running the ball up as fast as a Cyril Rioli. That would take them a long time to get use to. It is similar in the same regard to footy in the fact that the lower down the grades you go the smaller the guys get. They would make the transition the the NRL a lot easier as the physicality is less and the backs are generally smaller. Without a doubt the skill Izzy learnt in the AFL made him the rugby player he is today but he already had all the physical attributes to make it

Umm, NRL is probably more physically demanding in terms of size mate, well thats what I was told constantly when I was up there.

You get taller, ruckman style players in union, smaller nippier players like the half backs, then a few inbetween.

But the hits in general are harder in League.

I can't help but feel a little bit proud of AFL (the sport, not the organisation) over how this turned out.
It appears that Israel was streets ahead as the best Australian Rugby Union player this year (correct me if I'm wrong) but two years ago he was struggling to hold his place in a team of 20 year olds in the AFL.
Now I know that many AFL players couldn't transition to either of the Rugby codes but, Folau seemed to have the right body type and some of the attributes to have a crack at transitioning to AFL. Good on him for dominating in Union but I am very comfortable in the knowledge that even the best rugby players can't transition to AFL. I mean you hear the commentators gush about these high flying catches that Folau has taken over the last two years and yet about 20 of those are taken each AFL match. Feel very privileged to watch the best sport in the world.

Hate this attitude TBH.

It's all about athleticism and agility

You can be a decent Australian Rules player based largely on size, athleticism and willingness to "go in hard" as well.

Inb4 someone says Folau failing is proof that I'm wrong, when there's plenty of other guys who've come into footy with little experience and probably lesser physical gifts and made a better fist of it than he did.

Probably as much to do with the nature of the game and how the ball is moved (and how many times things are re-set after a tackle) as anything else.

Probably as much to do with the nature of the game and how the ball is moved (and how many times things are re-set after a tackle) as anything else.

Yeah, that was more my point.

Ruby is a very complex game a lot of technicalities you need to get your head around a guy like Ablett would get destroyed he is way to small not physical enough to play rugby union, how would he go trying to bring down SBW, Ma Nonu, Folau or Sam Burgess if they were coming at him? He would get smashed because Folau's skill set is better suited to rugby does not mean that it is easier to play because he couldn't make it in the AFL

I disagree, but that does not make you wrong.

Umm, NRL is probably more physically demanding in terms of size mate, well thats what I was told constantly when I was up there.

You get taller, ruckman style players in union, smaller nippier players like the half backs, then a few inbetween.

Backs are normally smaller and same with the forwards, In league they go for athletic forwards because they do none of the work forwards do in Union that is why you see SBW and Sam Burgess play as a lock in the NRL but when they play Union they're centres. League is easier physically to play it is a lot more fast paced so the slow forwards that play union would not be able to make it

Backs are normally smaller and same with the forwards, In league they go for athletic forwards because they do none of the work forwards do in Union that is why you see SBW and Sam Burgess play as a lock in the NRL but when they play Union they're centres. League is easier physically to play it is a lot more fast paced so the slow forwards that play union would not be able to make it

It's not just size mate, it's also speed. The likes of Burgess and SBW aren't exactly small, but they are alot quicker than their forward counterparts in union, meaning they hit exponentially harder.

It's why the big AFL hits are arguably harder than all of them, even with the players being alot leaner.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Hunt would be winger sized in RL or RU.

15-20 years ago RL wingers were AFL outside mid sized.

The influx of Polynesian players has pushed for a stockier body type.

I think Aka could have made a great winger in rugby league. After The Lions sacked him I told Craig Bellamy to recruit him and but Bellamy didn't take me too seriously.

If he turned up tomorrow? Yeah destroyed

I reckon ablett/swan would have the best crack to make union out of any AFL player. League probably not. I reckon his power wouldnt be diminished by putting on 15 kilos maybe a bit short

Well its your opinion. I dont know too many of the cretins that play league but Allan Langer is 165cm. I have heard him talk and he obviously has been hit in the head a few times but he still played at the highest level. I suppose it all depends on whether Ablett wanted to deskill himself. It's probably more likely that there are 20 lower ranked AFL players who could do a better job. I suppose you are resting your case purely on a bravery argument because there are so few skills in the game of rugby that have to be mastered.

Ruby is a very complex game a lot of technicalities you need to get your head around a guy like Ablett would get destroyed he is way to small not physical enough to play rugby union, how would he go trying to bring down SBW, Ma Nonu, Folau or Sam Burgess if they were coming at him? He would get smashed because Folau's skill set is better suited to rugby does not mean that it is easier to play because he couldn't make it in the AFL

as i said to the other rugby fan, allan langer was smaller than blair. as for not being physical enough, have a look at those rugby boys when the ball is up in the air and they have to keep their eyes on it. I will give you the point that there are several new zealanders who are playing the various rugby codes and they are built for it. I suppose if you havent got any brains to start with, then there is nothing to risk.... the the game is perfect for them. As for complexity....pleassssssssseee... you have gotta be kidding...tell israel that one. By the time he worked out where the ball was going, it had already gone down the other end of the ground.

Should Folau have been played on-ball resting in the FF flank?

Tall contested mid ala Kennedy? I feel that KPF is something that needs to be learnt in juniors.

Inb4 someone says Folau failing is proof that I'm wrong, when there's plenty of other guys who've come into footy with little experience and probably lesser physical gifts and made a better fist of it than he did.

The other part to that is that there's a very low chance that he would have possessed the same sort of desperation to 'make it' in the AFL as one of the Irish success stories, that did it the hard way off the rookie list. We all knew going in to this that if Hunt and Folau were failures - so what? They'd endure a little short-term embarrassment, before instantly being snapped up by an NRL/Super Rugby club and going back to earning a very healthy six-figure salary and representing their state/country in their chosen code. His AFL sideshow is already just a footnote in Folau's career...it's almost hard to remember it even happened already.

Cricket is the undisputed #1 in two of the biggest six countries in the world and is arguably #1 in the eighth biggest country in the world. I'm not sure there is a country in the world that hockey is the most popular sport in and I know there isn't a country in the world where rugby league is the most popular sport.

Off topic a little bit, but let's put some facts.

Cricket is strong in :-

Aus
NZ
South Africa
India
Paki
Sri Lanka
England
Bangladesh ?????

Hockey is strong in :-

Aus
NZ
South Africa
India
Paki
England ( GB )
South Korea
Netherlands
Germany
Argentina
Belgium
Spain

Well its your opinion. I dont know too many of the cretins that play league but Allan Langer is 165cm. I have heard him talk and he obviously has been hit in the head a few times but he still played at the highest level. I suppose it all depends on whether Ablett wanted to deskill himself. It's probably more likely that there are 20 lower ranked AFL players who could do a better job. I suppose you are resting your case purely on a bravery argument because there are so few skills in the game of rugby that have to be mastered.

First of all, i said Union, Your namiing League, Might as well start crapping on about gaelic football being the same as AFL

League and Union are very different games in terms of physicality. Gregan was a little warrior but the biggest forwards in Union often have about 6-7 inches and 20 kilos on their league counterparts.

lets not start this crap, it's well good and all to casually watch rugby highlights and claim no skill, then to be a diehard AFL fan and be interested in tactics then gloat about how much more skillful AFL is.

For Ablett to suceed in Rugby he would of had to of been able to read the game at an elite level,

Unless you were absolutly elite at reading whats happening on the field, a brilliant kicker, or in Abletts case an elite power/weight ratio and about 10cm taller you do have to be about 100kilos and a battering ram to make it in Rugby

He has most the physical tools, but lets not say s**t like this.

I reckon out of all the players i've seen, If daniel kerr would of made an EXCELLENT scrum half, very good decision maker, a monster defensively and he was a lot smarter in terms of the play then people give him credit for

Last edited:
as i said to the other rugby fan, allan langer was smaller than blair. as for not being physical enough, have a look at those rugby boys when the ball is up in the air and they have to keep their eyes on it. I will give you the point that there are several new zealanders who are playing the various rugby codes and they are built for it. I suppose if you havent got any brains to start with, then there is nothing to risk.... the the game is perfect for them. As for complexity....pleassssssssseee... you have gotta be kidding...tell israel that one. By the time he worked out where the ball was going, it had already gone down the other end of the ground.
I take by your post you don't really know the first thing about rugby

Remove this Banner Ad

Back