It saddens me how criminally underrated Dermott Brereton's career has become.

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canetoads Bulls Gunners Packers
Sheahan has Carey, Riewoldt, Brown, Tredrea, Pavlich and Sticks in there. Personally I'd have Derm in front to Tredrea and Pavlich (just). I don't think there would be too many arguments about Carey, Brown and Sticks. Riewoldt was amazing but no flags has to be considered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brereton was not eligible for Sheahan's list and obviously you never saw Brereton play or only saw his Collingwood and Sydney stints. You are coming across as a troll but at this stage I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Who do you rate better Walls or Kernahan and how do you think the Fullback of the Century would perform against those two? And whilst you are at it can you describe why John Nicholls is truly considered to be one on the great ruckman. Now finish off by telling me when and where Dermie confessed to being a thug.

Prove you are not a troll by coming up with some decent answers.

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I actually rate several CHF's above Derm on pure football skills. Royce Hart is the Prince of CHFs for me.

But

Traditionally the Centre Half Forward is the enforcer on the forward line and in some cases for the whole team. Under no circumstances could those listed by Sheahan (with the possible exception of Carey who really was top drawer stuff) be called enforcers. In my lifetime the two stand outs are Murray Weidman from Collingwood and Derm. I just about put Carey in that category. So when everything is considered Dermie is in the top 4. Wiedeman and Brereton would literally and I mean literally leave Sheahan's gang for dead. The exception being Carey.

Can Dominator68 and anyone else refresh my memory on other CHF enforcers. I can't help thinking I have forgotten a couple.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Can Dominator68 and anyone else refresh my memory on other CHF enforcers. I can't help thinking I have forgotten a couple.

Well yeah....there was the biggest THUG of them all in Ted Whitten Senior....Who for some sorry ass reason got the CHB possie in the team of the Century ahead of Peter 'Perfect' Knights.

Be grinding that particular AXE till the day I die!

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Well yeah....there was the biggest THUG of them all in Ted Whitten Senior....Who for some sorry ass reason got the CHB possie in the team of the Century ahead of Peter 'Perfect' Knights.

Be grinding that particular AXE till the day I die!

I really only saw Mr Football for the last 4 or 5 years of his career and by that stage Peter Knights was so much better that there really was no comparison. By then Mr Football was just about punch drunk. However, those who saw him in his prime do rate him as one of the best ever. CHB or CHF. Who am I to argue when I never saw him at his best. Just for confirmation. Peter Knights is easily the best CHB I have seen. Saw him play his first game on a wet and freezing day at a flooded Moorabbin oval. He was 17 years old. Same age as Dermie on debut?

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I really only saw Mr Football for the last 4 or 5 years of his career and by that stage Peter Knights was so much better that there really was no comparison. By then Mr Football was just about punch drunk. However, those who saw him in his prime do rate him as one of the best ever. CHB or CHF. Who am I to argue when I never saw him at his best. Just for confirmation. Peter Knights is easily the best CHB I have seen. Saw him play his first game on a wet and freezing day at a flooded Moorabbin oval. He was 17 years old. Same age as Dermie on debut?

John Peck is one CHF I can think of who was an enforcer....Wore the same number as Derm too.

Yep, all of Derm, Knights & Barney began as 17 year olds....Peck however, was 16, as too Arthur I think from memory.

Bernie Quinlan & Matthew Richardson are another 2 CHF's who come to mind as good players....Though neither were enforcers by any stretch.

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
John Peck is one CHF I can think of who was an enforcer....Wore the same number as Derm too.

Yep, all of Derm, Knights & Barney began as 17 year olds....Peck however, was 16, as too Arthur I think from memory.

Bernie Quinlan & Matthew Richardson are another 2 CHF's who come to mind as good players....Though neither were enforcers by any stretch.

Yeah, Elvis knew how to hit hard. I regard him as a full forward. Super boot was a beauty. Right up there with the best. Blight had at least as much talent as any but I deduct points from him for his wrestling antics. Richo never really grabbed me as top class. His old man 'Bull' lived up to his name. Gary Young anybody?

Dominator68

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2007
Belgium
AFL Club
Carlton
Sure he probably is No 1 CHF enforcer but that wasn't criteria. Happy for somebody to do an enforcer list.

Dominator68

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2007
Belgium
AFL Club
Carlton
FWIW, I have only just realized this is a Hawthorn thread (I blame Tap a Talk). I thought is was it the Lists forum

B0SK

Club Legend
Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
Awaiting WADA's devastating response
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
r inferior
Great player, but got a LOT of great service in a great team. Stewart Loewe might have kicked 1000 goals at Hawthorn. Reflection of his career tarnished by stints at Pies and Swans. Also a self admitted thug which didn't help his cause I suspect. Always hard to rank players, but to be fair to Sheehan the CHFs he has in front of Dermie are all time greats.

Sheahan has Carey, Riewoldt, Brown, Tredrea, Pavlich and Sticks in there. Personally I'd have Derm in front to Tredrea and Pavlich (just). I don't think there would be too many arguments about Carey, Brown and Sticks. Riewoldt was amazing but no flags has to be considered.

Being a "self admitted thug" didn't help his cause? You have him in front of Pavlich "just"?

I sometimes wish these threads were RSVP so that chaps like yourself could be politely shown the door. Please in future refrain from commenting on matters in which you plainly have no understanding of whatsoever. Thank you!

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think there would be too many arguments about Carey, Brown and Sticks.

Only Carey and Royce better over the length of their careers and that because Dermott struggled badly with injuries after late 80's. Equal of Sticks (great mark but terrible kick).

People have short memories.

Compare Dermott's finals record with Carey's. I know who I would be picking for a grand final.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Must say have always felt Brown was over-rated. Had a lot of years where he did not dominate. He had 8 years where he kicked 35 goals or less. He actually only kicked over 50 goals 4 times in his career which is the same as Derm, but did it spending a lot more time in the forward 50 IMHO.

Yep, great Aussie country kid and courageous to boot, but think he is massively over-rated because of these things.

Brereton >>> Brown

MistyAvalon

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees , Roosters
I loved him......................but the point is.........he played in a superb team.. Hawks always do the best when the team is happy and united... a champion team...not a team of champions

Nuggets73

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Must say have always felt Brown was over-rated. Had a lot of years where he did not dominate. He had 8 years where he kicked 35 goals or less. He actually only kicked over 50 goals 4 times in his career which is the same as Derm, but did it spending a lot more time in the forward 50 IMHO.

Yep, great Aussie country kid and courageous to boot, but think he is massively over-rated because of these things.

Brereton >>> Brown

Agreed .. think even Browny himself would admit Dermie & Carey were better ... far more destructive players.
Dermott's GF record is up there with the best ... thrived on the big game ... his brutal attack on the ball is legendary

Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS

I saw Peter Knights at the tail end of his career (1982-1985) and he still had some great moments ... remember his 9 goals against HOF full back Steven Silvagni in 1985 ? Granted SOS was quite young but Knights smashed him :D

show_image.php

Best CHB I have seen is Chris Mew.

As for Dermie his first game was the first final I ever saw Hawthorn play. He will always be a legend to me.

Go Hawks !!

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Any chance the folks over at AFL.com have been reading this thread? The timing of this video is a happy co-incidence!

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-04-01/versus-brereton-v-kernahan

I'd say there'd be every chance....Their writers troll these boards for story ideas more often than The Hun hacks!

I saw Peter Knights at the tail end of his career (1982-1985) and he still had some great moments ... remember his 9 goals against HOF full back Steven Silvagni in 1985 ? Granted SOS was quite young but Knights smashed him :D
!

images12WH7G9L.jpg
Here's 1 of 10 He took on the supposed 'FB of the C' in 1985!

Knights was the best aerialist I've ever seen in the AFL....Only Trevor Barker came close....Most of the injuries he sustained resulted from his landings.

His career ran parallel to Barney's & yet he played 66 games less (3 Seasons) because of it.

Last edited:

Nuggets73

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Only Carey and Royce better over the length of their careers and that because Dermott struggled badly with injuries after late 80's. Equal of Sticks (great mark but terrible kick).

People have short memories.

Compare Dermott's finals record with Carey's. I know who I would be picking for a grand final.

Carey lost the cup in 98 .. Missed so many easy shots .. 8.20 is not a pretty score line

I'd say there'd be every chance....Their writers troll these boards for story ideas more often than The Hun hacks!

View attachment 121082 Here's 1 of 10 He took on the supposed 'FB of the C' in 1985!

Knights was the best aerialist I've ever seen in the AFL....Only Trevor Barker came close....Most of the injuries he sustained resulted from his landings.

His career ran parallel to Barney's & yet he played 66 games less (3 Seasons) because of it.
My childhood hero

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Obviously I have never underrated him. Best I have seen at HFC is Matthews, followed in no particular order by Dunstall, Knights, Platten and Brereton. Whenever I do this i rack my brain to think who I have forgotten.
I have followed the Hawks from the 50s and we have been blessed with many wonderful players coaches and administrators during that time.

JustKickIt

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think these guys devalue their career by squeezing out a couple more mediocre years at opposition clubs just to top up the bank. It taints them and dilutes people's memory of them. It's a shame.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
The media career, and what sometimes appears to be a desire to insert himself into every conversation about anything, relating it back to something he did or saw, has hurt poor old Derm. It's a harsh thing to say, but I don't think he has come to terms with himself after his career ended. Lot of crappy things happened in his life too, which definitely hasn't helped.

As a player he was on another level to all but one other CHF in my lifetime, and was arguably the best in football for most of career at Hawthorn. No-one had his combination of talent, toughness and ability to rise to the occasion. No-one had the aura that he possessed, or had so many ways to tear a teams heart out.

Anyone talking about Pavlich or Tredrea in the same sentence is kidding themselves, that they know football.

But what came after his career at the Hawks has affected Derm's standing. He's been around the guys in the media long enough that they remember his TV career more strongly than the era when he was an AFL untouchable.

Sad state of affairs. Derm was the best, and lifted our team well above the normal for most of his career.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Carey rates Brereton

Might as well be saddened there are no more commentators like Lou Richards. He was one of the biggest personalities ever but never overshadowed the footy with his own importance.

For example SEN and Anthony Hudson. He has a longer and longer speech for each successive premier. It’s not about you you clutz

Each time SEN regurgitates that I turn of the car radio together with ‘frank walker, national tiles’ and ‘who?’

Back