its all up from here. Go Eagles for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay but based on what exactly? The only thing we had going for us is that we won a few easy games at the end of the season but we still lost to Richmond and choked against Essendon.
I think people underestimate the effect key injuries to our best contested midfielders and lack of preseasons into some of our most talented players has had on output. However the positive is that we get these guys back at 100% on top of a sprinkling of young guns that we wouldn't have blooded so early if these injuries hadn't occured. Gaff, Shuey and Masten finally gelling in the last month is also promising. Our KP stocks are arguably second the none.

Some might say we've used that excuse for 2 years... but I guess we'll see if it's legitimate or not...

Reasons for improvement in 2015:

++++ Simpson will be miles better off next year!- Knows the players better, still working on his coaching style, knows the WA footy landscape (East Perth structure should evolve for the better 2nd year in?), will have more confidence that its now HIS team, another pre-season bedding down the game-plan.
+++ Coaching staff in general - still finding their feet, should `gel` better, more stable routine. (May need more experience in there??)
+++++ A fit Nic Nat. Will do his first pre-season in 3 years, still learning the caper and still a few years away from his prime as a ruckman.
++++ A fit Beau Waters. His last full season he was AA HBF. Provides immeasurable leadership on-field (crucially backline), frees up Yeo, Hurn, Ellis to push into midfield.
+++ The natural progression of the under 23yo talents - Darling, Gaff, Lycett, McGovern, Yeo, Cripps, Sheed, Colledge.
++ Including a trade-in/ draftee or 2, WCE all round squad depth will be a strength. Assuming a fit list: seasoned and/or talented younger players will find it hard to break into the 22 eg: Butler, Sheppard, Schofield, Hill, Masten, Wellingham.

+++++ 2016 and beyond look even better with only Pridda being 30yo next year and WCE in the top bracket of players over 100 games.
* I have no doubt we are lining up a few big trade scalps in the coming years- OMeara, Coniglio, Bennell, Rich etc...

Its all theory at the moment and Id love to know your thoughts... GO YOU MIGHTY EAGLES!!!

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2014-09-19/injury-update

- Waters fit and ready for pre-seaon
- Nic Nat no surgery for first time since 2012 pre-season.
- Darling has a fractured foot but needs no surgery.
- Emac & Mcgovern had minor hip surgery and will be ready for pre-season.
- Lecra had his plate out.
- Newman is tracking well and if he keeps up his fitness program he will be on the list next year. Sounds like they want to make sure he is putting in 100% and from all reports he is.
- Not mentioned but Tunners had surgery on his hand a week or so ago.

I rate the Eagles best 22 highly. Injuries ruined the 2014 season. If West Coast can draft a couple of quick inside midfielders either via the National draft or in trade week, then I think you've got all areas pretty much well covered for 2015. The improvement of McGovern, Hutchings, Cripps, Bennell, Gaff, Lycett were all positive signs heading into next year. The return of Beau Waters will be a major boost to the Eagles back six. Senior players like Selwood, Ellis, Rosa and co can make a huge difference when they are fit and stay injury free.

Eagles Best 22 in 2015

B: Jamie Bennell, Mitchell Brown, Will Schofield

HB: Shannon Hurn, Eric Mackenzie, Beau Waters

C: Xavier Ellis, Scott Selwood, Andrew Gaff

HF: Jack Darling, Jeremy McGovern, Chris Masten

F: Jamie Cripps, Josh Kennedy, Mark LeCras

R: Nic Natanui, Matthew Priddis, Luke Shuey

INT: Mark Hutchings, Scott Lycett, Matthew Rosa, Sam Butler

EMG: Sharrod Wellingham, Josh Hill, Patrick McGinnity

I rate the Eagles best 22 highly. Injuries ruined the 2014 season. If West Coast can draft a couple of quick inside midfielders either via the National draft or in trade week, then I think you've got all areas pretty much well covered for 2015. The improvement of McGovern, Hutchings, Cripps, Bennell, Gaff, Lycett were all positive signs heading into next year. The return of Beau Waters will be a major boost to the Eagles back six. Senior players like Selwood, Ellis, Rosa and co can make a huge difference when they are fit and stay injury free.

Eagles Best 22 in 2015

No game time for Yeo? :(

Eagles Best 22 in 2015

Hutchings out, Priddis moved to bench. Yeo in the middle

Team of kings!

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2014-09-19/injury-update

- Waters fit and ready for pre-seaon
- Nic Nat no surgery for first time since 2012 pre-season.
- Darling has a fractured foot but needs no surgery.
- Emac & Mcgovern had minor hip surgery and will be ready for pre-season.
- Lecra had his plate out.
- Newman is tracking well and if he keeps up his fitness program he will be on the list next year. Sounds like they want to make sure he is putting in 100% and from all reports he is.
- Not mentioned but Tunners had surgery on his hand a week or so ago.
Damn, stole my thunder.:)
Came in to pretty much say according to WCE site that the WC boys are going to be a full compliment for Pre-season. Only a handful of minor surgeries.
Which is great.

It's hard to be optimistic about next year. I think our solid defence and forward lines won't see us drop down the ladder too much, but to progress to flag-winning status we need some amazing improvement from our currently listed mids and to draft/recruit an absolute gun or two in the coming months.

I remain unconvinced about our chances, so I'll be pleasantly surprised if things do turn around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.gif

Just put bet on for West Coast to win the 2015 flag! :D
So did you Principally?

Reasons for improvement in 2015:

++++ A fit Beau Waters. His last full season he was AA HBF. Provides immeasurable leadership on-field (crucially backline), frees up Yeo, Hurn, Ellis to push into midfield.
++ Including a trade-in/ draftee or 2, WCE all round squad depth will be a strength. Assuming a fit list: seasoned and/or talented younger players will find it hard to break into the 22 eg: Butler, Sheppard, Schofield, Hill, Masten, Wellingham.
Its all theory at the moment and Id love to know your thoughts... GO YOU MIGHTY EAGLES!!!

Got these 2 very wrong - Beau Waters is gone, and pretty much all of those listed as struggling have actually been best 22, with a little debate on Butler and Hill.

Otherwise the optimism was so spot on.

I did enjoy go eagles threads. They were fairly witty and overly positive particularly in the off season. A few on here got stuck into him/her and possibly sent him/her away.
Crazy Subtle Angles forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back