Competitions It's on guys, The Collingwood Board's Phantom Draft.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pick 58

Almost went with Langdon (because I want him at the pies if we don't get McLean) but for Sydney decided to go with...

Jackson Nelson

(Write up from Paige's phantom)

Position: Defender/midfielder
Height: 187 cm, Weight: 80 kg, DOB: 15/03/1996
Club: Geelong Falcons
Projected draft range: 12-35
Player comparison: Nick Vlaustin

Best described as a rudder in defence, Jackson Nelson is a steely defender-cum-midfielder who relishes the hard side of the game. Not too dissimilar to Richmond’s Nick Vlastuin in his attack on the ball and the man, Nelson is a tackling machine who rates among the best for marks, contested possessions and pressure acts. On top of this, Nelson also has enough polish on the outside to operate at an average of 70 per cent disposal efficiency. Rated incredibly highly at the Geelong Falcons, Nelson doesn’t have romantic traits like a Paul Ahern or Jayden Laverde, but he is just as effective if not more well-rounded, doing so without fuss. Averaging 22 high-quality disposals in the TAC Cup, Nelson’s best traits include his work rate, his defensive pressure, repeat efforts, gut running and most obviously his tackling, at an average of 6.2 per game for the Falcons.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Adelaide pick 59 - Liam Dawson.

*some really tempting options.

Harris Andrews and Jeremy Finlayson as academy guys can really play and neither should be available here.

Brendan Abbott is a really intriguing one I also considered.

Brett Eddy I may have picked if I had another selection as a mature key forward - that ex Collingwood VFL guy.

eddiebankbalance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2011
melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hmmm, as Collingwood used pick 5, (9) 30, 48 and I would like to pick up Ahmed Saad. Would I have to have passed on pick 48?

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You can do whatever you like in this phantom draft the world's your oyster, I believe with Armstrong delisted you can go for Saad.

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Phantom Draft is closed, no more selections. It's done. AFL house aka Mightypies1 closing it down in true AFL dictatorial fashion.

Bring_Back_Brad

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting to look back on.
We passed on the no1 pick, let him slip to 7.
Three top ten indigenous players, let slip to 10-20.
Shows the bias against indigenous players on this board.
Don't know why everyone was so excited about laverde.
Mike123 had it right with the shine on Pickett. Me too with cockatoo.

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm looking very good. I got Heeney, Moore and McCartin. Let's see how Connor Blakely goes, I've got big wraps on Jack Steele...

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
My first 2 picks, Jarrod Pickett and Dillon Viojo-Rainbow went higher than what I picked them for, so i must have a good I for talent:D

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was on the Jack Lonie bandwagon in this thread. Will have a long career at the Aints and will be remembered by the end of this draft as one of the better recruits, I am indeed a genius, step aside Hine. :D

TheSierBear

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
soft spot for Carlton out of pity
I stumbled on this old thread so I thought I'd bump it.
Hindsight, my top ten would be as follows,
1.) Darcy Moore
2.) Isaac Heeney
3.) Patrick McCartin
4.) Christian Petracca
5.) Jack Lever
6.) Peter Wright
7.) Jordan de Goey
8.) Angus Brayshaw
9.) Connor Blakely
10.) Mitch McGovern

The player who might not get recruited taken in the first round was Sam Durdin.

Last edited:
Back