Competitions It's on guys, The Collingwood Board's Phantom Draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

The same could of been said about someone taking Bontempelli in the top 5 this time last year
What are you talking about?
Bontempelli wasn't a father-son or a sydney academy selection.

And going at 5 was realistic, Bulldogs did well to take him will be a star.
Anything can happen on draft day, most teams have 1 selection to choose the player they want to take.
So there is a good chance StKilda take McCartin instead of Petracca and I wont be surprised. Melb could take one of Brayshaw/Petracca and Lever (who is the one im hoping we get), GWS could then take Wright. Maybe that could then leave Brayshaw to us.

Unlikely but you never know, Im still hoping Lever falls to 5

With De Goey locked away I am going to pick the best midfielder available with a view to free up the damaging Bennel and Ablett to spent more time forward. I can hardly believe that all of Weller, Ahern and Duggan are still available as the first 2 were nearly chosen at 8. In the end, although Duggan is somewhat comparable to my favourite Pie in Sidebottom, with Pick 15 Paul Ahern can call Gold Coast home.

With De Goey locked away I am going to pick the best midfielder available with a view to free up the damaging Bennel and Ablett to spent more time forward. I can hardly believe that all of Weller, Ahern and Duggan are still available as the first 2 were nearly chosen at 8. In the end, although Duggan is somewhat comparable to my favourite Pie in Sidebottom, with Pick 15 Paul Ahern can call Gold Coast home.

Very good pick up and GWS were looking at him with pick 7.

Pick #16 - North Melbourne - Lachlan Weller (Broadbeach)

Classy and well rounded midfielder who does just about everything right. Don't let Weller's light frame fool you as he is not afraid to get his hands dirty and wins plenty of contested ball.

Why? - Despite being the best available by a country mile, Weller fits North Melbourne's needs to a tee. His outside ball winning ability will compliment their abundance of inside midfielders in Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington and Dumont.

The whole purpose of a phantom draft is to predict the upcoming picks and what kind of options each club would choose, it is a must for the draft to be as accurate as possible. And in a real life scenario there is no chance wright will fall past pick 7. If everyone keep selecting left field options in order to make themselves stand out, then this might as well just be a group discussion. I also don't understand why heeney and Moore are even included....

Wright will slip come draft day so I don't understand the angst? I also don't see who has gone all that left field. We're still over a month from draft night and plenty of the names taken so far will come in and drift.

For example at this point in time last year Bontempelli was circa top 10, Aish top 3, Taylor top 10 and so on...

Updated run down for the selection of Langford at 10.

190cm & 73kg

Player comparison: Brad Ebert (with more dash)

To begin with I had 3 players that I felt would be in line for the selection and they all went within the space of 3 picks (De Goey, Langford and Pickett). I think Pickett would have been the obvious choice with Varcoe and Christensen departing and their game plan relying on gamebreakers, but I'm confident there'll be some outside talent available at a later point so I plumped for the rangy marking option that will start up forward and push into the midfield as the likes of Stevie J and Kelly depart.

The 3 elements that I want in any kid coming through are competitiveness, leadership and clean hands. He's the first 18 captain of Ivanhoe Grammar, has the cleanest hands overhead of any player in the draft pool, IMO, and has a genuine crack for someone nudging the scales at 73kg. His willingness to take the game on with those loping strides suggest that he'll have a good mix of inside and out as he develops, but ultimately with that potential frame I would love to use him in a similar vein to David Meyers. Playing second fiddle to Selwood will really help him blossom and as one of the youngest players in the pool he has plenty of room for improvement whilst almost 2 months shy of his 18th birthday. Lastly with his height and hands I expect him to be able to hit angles that few others can match if he is used predominantly on the inside.

His skills need work and he does tend to rush when under pressure, however in an elite environment with the protection that he will be afforded by the bodies that Geelong can throw through the midfield he will be eased into things and be given the time he needs to refine those rough edges. I don't expect him to be a star in fact I don't see many in this draft pool being capable of that, but if it does all click for him I think he has a better shot than most in this draft with his mix of traits.

Finally Stephen Wells does like his roughies so if it isn't Langford I don't expect this selection to be used on someone we all anticipate and to any Geelong supporters out there feel free to critique :thumbsu:

Essendon
Pick 17: Connor Menadue
Player comparison: Hamish Hartlett
Essendon currently has a midfield that's tough, skillful and possesses are above average at clearances. However, apart from Heppell, no-one from Essendon is able to break away from stoppages and absolutely tear the game apart consistently. Their lack of athleticism make them extremely one-dimensional at the centre bounce, and Connor Menadue seems to be the perfect fit for Essendon's scenario. Connor is an evasive and tall player with fantastic acceleration. Just imagine a player with Dangerfield's burst and Pendlebury's agility and evasiveness combined but to a much lesser extent. Menadue is a capable player both inside and outisde, and I firmly believe that his style of play will significantly contribute to Essendon's slow and ageing midfield.
Other players considered in no particular order(my next pick is at 20 anyways, so unless you can read my mind :) ) :
Tom Lamb
Reece Mckenzie
Jarrod Gartlett
Edward Vickers Willis
Jack Steele
Initially, I hoped for Goddard or Langford, but they were always gonna be picked before a late as late as 17.

Pick 18 Sydney

Hugh Goddard (VIC – KPD/KPF)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 24/08/1996
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Profile: Promising key position defender/forward

Would much rather be taking Heeney at this pick and it's hard to pass up Duggan, but it's a needs based selection.

Sydney need to start building for life after Reg and Ted and that's what I propose they aim to do with Goddard.

Could have tried to find a decent kpd later, but to be honest Sydney's lack of quality developing kpd's meant I was looking for more certainty.
Freo got Goddard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 18 Sydney.

Liam Duggan

Reason: best available (needs also)

Position: Defender/midfielder
Height: 183 cm, Weight: 76 kg,
DOB: 11/12/1996
Club: Western Jets

With Malceski having departed and Shaw/McVeigh on their last legs Sydney need to get some run and creativity into their backline.

Almost all of the swans younger small defenders are negating types.

Duggan will slot right into a hbf soon enough and longer term will be a viable midfield option in a similar vein to McVeigh.

Last edited:
Pick 19 Carlscum.

All eyes on BBB now and what diamond he will pick up late in the first round?
Well that is Nakia Cockatoo. What a shame this elite midfielder goes to the cheats and will waste his career being lectured on astronomy and world war with the old codger. Let's hope for his sake he secures a trade out early in his career. It's an insider joke that judd is playing on and the scum need a direct replacement and Nakia has all the traits to do so and be an upgrade only without the stick insect wife tagging along for the ride. Would have happily taken this guy at collingwood let's hope he slides to 30.

I am off to work gentleman so if it gets to GC and pick 29 it will either be done at about 2am or in the morning first thing... It's going quicker than I thought it may

Pick 19 Carlscum.

All eyes on BBB now and what diamond he will pick up late in the first round?
Well that is Nakia Cockatoo. What a shame this elite midfielder goes to the cheats and will waste his career being lectured on astronomy and world war with the old codger. Let's hope for his sake he secures a trade out early in his career. It's an insider joke that judd is playing on and the scum need a direct replacement and Nakia has all the traits to do so and be an upgrade only without the stick insect wife tagging along for the ride. Would have happily taken this guy at collingwood let's hope he slides to 30.

lmao I knew u were gunna go for cockatoo!

Btw guys im at the soccer now and u can imagine what a pain in the arse it is to update this on my mobile...mods u can edit updates in the op and especially after mp1 does hos picks which everyones hanging out for

This is as much about fun as it is 'realistic'. Moore and Heeney being available has opened things up and made it more interesting. Will Petracca be as good as Heeney or Brayshaw? Would you take Moore ahead of Wright, McCartin or Lever. This is some fun to look back on in a few years time.

I actually think Brayshaw will be the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back