Prediction It's the Final(s) Countdown! (A realistic approach)

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that's kinda been annoying me. Yes it's been 5 years since we've played a final, but we only missed the finals for 4 years (11, 12, 13, 14). For a complete rebuild, that's pretty bloody good going, particularly in the compromised draft era.

This is quite possibly the funniest thing I have seen on Big Footy. I just can't stop laughing at it every time I watch it. I agree with the person who said to put it on the main board, or better yet in the GWS board, but particularly to the media who wrote us off so badly at the start of the year.... And that means you Barrett and Kingy!
To be fair, I reckon you could say they had about 36000 mates.

One thing that's kinda been annoying me. Yes it's been 5 years since we've played a final, but we only missed the finals for 4 years (11, 12, 13, 14). For a complete rebuild, that's pretty bloody good going, particularly in the compromised draft era.
This gets to me too. Even Bev the other night said "It's been quite a few years scince we've played finals."
It all just perpetuates the misnomer that we have been struggling since 54.

As far as finals appearances go we are probably one of the more successful clubs of the last 20 years, or at least above average.

To be fair, I reckon you could say they had about 36000 mates.
Yeh I know and some of them, like Robbo, have owned up to it but Barrett in particular just gives me the shits with how he gets stuck in when teams are down but never admits maybe he was a bit over the top. Yes we had a terrible off season that most of us would prefer to have not had but at the end of the day it was for the better, because without the upheaval we wouldn't have Bev as coach and we also wouldn't have Tom Boyd.

It's just when I saw that clip he and Kingy were the first two people that came to my mind that I would be doing that to. Still makes me laugh!

I dont care what freo do they've earned the right to rest players and it won't affect anyone else. North has not, what they're doing constitutes tanking and its bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely. Nothing short of a manipulation of the finals. I can't believe the AFL are closing their eyes on this one.

Realistically, what can the AFL do? They can't force teams to include certain players?
They can refuse to allow teams to use it to rest players in a way that makes it obvious they are not going in all guns blazing.

In the same way they stop people tanking. I agree that the lines can be blurred.

They can refuse to allow teams to use it to rest players in a way that makes it obvious they are not going in all guns blazing.

In the same way they stop people tanking. I agree that the lines can be blurred.
Exactly. There's a rule in place, enforce it.

Makes a mockery of the final round, by making North stick to the law this debate/controversy would not even exist, it's not hard. Except it is for an organisation like the AFL who run on 0 integrity.

North technically haven't breeched any rules, and the AFL cannot force them to play players as they don't know who is sore or injured, and cannot prove it. Plus forcing any player who is sore or injured could put the AFL at risk of lawsuit should the player break down

North are being smart here, but I do hate it and it goes against the moral code of things.

By North tanking, and handing Richmond a gimme game, there is now almost zero chance of us making the top 4 or fifth spot. Therefore we miss out on North in week one, and more favourable opponents in week two out of Sydney and Fremantle. So looks like it is now a definite do or die clash against an red hot form team in the Crows.

Adelaide FC has formally requested clarification from AFL re resting players. Could have implications for us next week.
Anyone who watched Murph and JJ the week after they were rested should know that teams should be wary of resting a bunch of players at. Sometimes they come back under done or scratchy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one that doesn't mind/likes that we will be playing at the MCG? Yeah we would have a better chance of winning at Etihad but the more we play at the MCG the better and honestly if we can't beat Adelaide at the G we certainly aren't up to winning the whole thing.

Apologies if its been answered but in the event we play Adelaide, 6th vs 7th, will that game take place on saturday day or night?

On the post game tonight they seemed to indicate it would be Saturday night with Perth games Friday night and Saturday day.

I have no issue with teams resting large chunks of players this time of year, it's almost impossible to police it anyway. If a team thinks a player needs a rest to be better for the following week then what can the AFL do? Why should they do anything? Their aim is to give them the best chance to win when it really matters. No issue. Long season, 42 players or so on each list and part of the skill is managing the whole list and having the depth to bring in players who can do the job.

Same at the other end of the ladder but for different reasons.

What is important is that when the teams gets on the park, they play and coach to win and don't deliberately lose by rigging the actual game, also hard to do anyway and again also hard to police.

The risk with all this is flirting with form. For the teams on the bottom, it's more about the culture they start if they don't go in with their best teams and the standards that sets. It not like it does not have its risks.

Many of you were asking for that Channel 7 promo on our finals. ALS highlights delivers again:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back