Its time for a lottery

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
The AFL has taken some ideas from American sports to help improve our own code.
IMO the next and biggest thing to improve will be the draft and free agency.
The AFL needs to introduce the lottery system for draft picks.
The 18th placed team obviously still gets the highest chance of receiving the #1 pick but isnt guaranteed it.
I cant really see a reason why the AFL shouldnt introduce it.

It could be an issue because some clubs might have alot of luck. Imagine Hawthorn getting two number one picks in a row. The chances are lower but there is still a chance. It leaves room for potential tampering aswell.

It could be an issue because some clubs might have alot of luck. Imagine Hawthorn getting two number one picks in a row. The chances are lower but there is still a chance. It leaves room for potential tampering aswell.
Its only the bottom teams that get a chance of being in lottery.
The top 8 would be the same as it is now. They just get a pick depending on where they finish.

DETERMINING THE NBA DRAFT ORDER
1 All teams missing the playoffs are in the Lottery
2 Teams with worse records get more chances at winning a top three pick (more ping pong ball combos)
3 The 1st overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls
4 The 2nd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls
5 The 3rd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls
6 Remaining lottery teams, sorted by record, fill out picks 4-14
7 Playoff teams, sorted by record, are assigned picks 15-30 - playoff seeds and outcomes have no impact
8 Coin flip decides who picks first between teams with same record
9 Tied lottery teams split their ping pong balls evenly, and any odd remainder and the better draft order position are given to the coin flip winner

The AFL has taken some ideas from American sports to help improve our own code.
IMO the next and biggest thing to improve will be the draft and free agency.
The AFL needs to introduce the lottery system for draft picks.
The 18th placed team obviously still gets the highest chance of receiving the #1 pick but isnt guaranteed it.
I cant really see a reason why the AFL shouldnt introduce it.
i like the idea, for the 1st round of the draft. after that as per current system.
eg. bottom 4 sides go into a weighted lottery favoring 18th up to 15th gradually for first 4 picks.
14th to 11th same system.
10th to 7th same system.
top 6 no lottery just follow as in current system.

i also like the the following ideas as an equalization method.
1. no requirement to pay up to a minimum salary cap.
2. draftees sign a minimum 3 year contract.
3. full and no compensation free agency ie. any player coming out of contract can change clubs.

Last edited:
I have always liked the idea of a lottery and I think introducing it here has a lot of merit.

Whether they AFL introduces it depends on their stance on tanking. If tanking doesn't exist, there is no need to introduce it. If they accept it does in fact exist, then this is certainly a way to limit it.

That's not how the lottery works. There would be a limited number of lottery picks

Seems like an unnecessary added complication. Sure tanking may exist, but I really doubt it's done with a specific 17 year old kid in mind that you're tanking for. It's really just losing to theoretically improve your draft position, which a lottery doesn't change (the lower you finish, the higher your chance for a top pick).

2 Teams with worse records get more chances at winning a top three pick (more ping pong ball combos)
7 Playoff teams, sorted by record, are assigned picks 15-30 - playoff seeds and outcomes have no impact
9 Tied lottery teams split their ping pong balls evenly, and any odd remainder and the better draft order position are given to the coin flip winner
What happens if a team is drawn twice and gets pick 1 and 2 you haven't mentioned if once they get a pick if they're exempt from the draft in the first round

I hate the idea of a lottery. Tanking isn't as big a threat in the afl as it is in nba. They only have 5 people on the court at a time, and drafting a superstar can be the difference between wallowing at the bottom of the league and being contenders.

the fate of melbourne and Carlton over the past decade should be evidence enough that developing a winning culture is far more important to success than high draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an improvement IMO.
And how often is the #1 pick actually the best player?
Draft picks are overrated. It's how you develop the players, not who is the best talent, otherwise Cale Morton and Mitch Thorp would be elite players so I see your point, but no. It's something that doesn't need to happen. We're not a multinational league broadcasted in 100 countries where our draftees are paid $1.5m+, this isn't the NBA, and the AFL needs to stop taking after them.

Priority picks need to come back just with different ways to get them, so clubs at the bottom can get back to the top.

I think a lottery in the first round makes sense.
it would be interesting to see if the clubs consistently finishing 9-12 would have been challenging a lot quicker if they had of landed a top 3 pick in the first round.

Rather you have had the likes of Carlton and Melbourne who have had most of the top picks yet completely crucified them and thus remianed as ordinary as ever.

The competition would be far more competitive at the top end.

Draft picks are overrated. It's how you develop the players, not who is the best talent, otherwise Cale Morton and Mitch Thorp would be elite players so I see your point, but no. It's something that doesn't need to happen. We're not a multinational league broadcasted in 100 countries where our draftees are paid $1.5m+, this isn't the NBA, and the AFL needs to stop taking after them.

Priority picks need to come back just with different ways to get them, so clubs at the bottom can get back to the top.
I don't believe in priority picks. These days, clubs need to be forced to stand up on their own 2 feet. An ordinary club receiving a priority pick obviously has more serious issues than simply their players on the park. Obviously the coaching, development etc needs work. I'm sure if these clubs focused on getting their house in order, they would perform a lot better rather than a priority pick for the short term

I don't see the need really, teams may have tanked to get an extra early pick but losing games just go from 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 or whatever isn't worth It.

If you are going from pick 3 to picks 1 AND 2 then that's too tempting.

footy isn't like basketball where for there's 5 players on court so 1 player makes a huge difference and players are generally older so there can be a real standout.

How do you decide which team gets to call though? :cool:

I'm not against a lottery system for the non-finalists/bottom 8/whatever, as long as the AFL doesn't f*** it up, which, lets be honest, they most likely will. I can see a scenario happening where a team finishing 18th/17th gets pushed down from the 1st pick to the 4/5th pick and complain about it, only for the AFL to give them an end of first-round pick or some absured FA compo, claiming the two transactions are unrelated.

Also, would the lottery be before or after trade week, as it could really affect the trade period if its after.

I'm not against a lottery system for the non-finalists/bottom 8/whatever, as long as the AFL doesn't f*** it up, which, lets be honest, they most likely will. I can see a scenario happening where a team finishing 18th/17th gets pushed down from the 1st pick to the 4/5th pick and complain about it, only for the AFL to give them an end of first-round pick or some absured FA compo, claiming the two transactions are unrelated.

Also, would the lottery be before or after trade week, as it could really affect the trade period if its after.
It would have to be before the trade week.
Obviously all clubs would need to agree to it.
People need to stop wanking over getting the #1 pick.
It's nearly the most over rated thing in our game

The current system is fine
It would have to be before the trade week.
Obviously all clubs would need to agree to it.
People need to stop wanking over getting the #1 pick.
It's nearly the most over rated thing in our game
Then the lottery idea isn't required if that's the case.

I would like to see it but only for the first two or three picks so the worst side is atleast still guaranteed a top 3 or 4 pick.
I don't think it is needed but it will stop all this tanking talk that we get every year which would be great

Remove this Banner Ad

Back