Its Time For Trigg To Resign.

Remove this Banner Ad

What did it say?
Get a bucket ready...

Dear Members,
You are probably aware by now that I today advised the Club I am stepping down as Chief Executive Officer. I informed the Board, staff, coaches and players in person, but as you can appreciate that is not possible with nearly 60,000 members and 400 corporate partners.
I want to say thank you. The timing is right for me, and the Adelaide Football Club. It has played on my mind lately, given the incredible progress and successes of the past year. By that I mean, the move to Adelaide Oval, the acquisition of our AFL licence, forming a new Constitution, the development of our SANFL team, and numerous other agreements relating to the city venue and AAMI Stadium.

I leave knowing everything is in really great shape. As of today, the Club:
  • boasts a powerful financial situation and asset base
  • an extraordinary world class venue for home matches
  • exceptional training facilities
  • a record membership nearing 60,000
  • a record average attendance which is second highest in the AFL
  • a rapidly expanding digital and social media reach
  • a talented young playing list which is improving all the time
  • corporate support and partnerships which are strong and stable
And underpinning all of that is a football program, and on field performances, which have earned widespread respect. We should all be proud.

I also want to make something very clear… your Club is full of hard working, incredibly talented and capable people, who are superbly led by the Board and senior management.

I would like to sincerely thank you for your support. The past couple of years have challenged everyone involved with the Club. But the support and encouragement from our members and corporate partners, during my entire time as Chief Executive Officer, has been incredible and greatly appreciated.

I cannot thank the current and past Boards enough. Their efforts have, and continue to be, first class. I will always cherish the support they have provided me. A board of lesser strength and resilience would have lost its way under the pressure and scrutiny of recent years.

AFL is an emotional business and I am well aware there will be a range of reactions to my departure and in particular, questioning of my decision to join another Club. The best and simplest answer is that if you are motivated, love the game, have something to offer and a point to prove… then to use a footy term, you have a crack!

This has not been an easy decision. I have enjoyed the highs and endured the lows with our team for nearly two decades. I am a life member of this great Club. It is tough to separate yourself from such an addictive environment.

It has been a privilege to serve as Chief Executive Officer. I leave for now, knowing that I could not have given any more. The Club has always come first.

I have been asked to complete a few key projects over the next month, so I will be around the place, albeit in a limited capacity.

There will always be some red, gold and blue in my heart. I wish the Adelaide Football Club the very best of luck as it seeks the success it so richly deserves.

Trigg staying on for another four weeks reminded me of this quote from Harper about Phil Davis.

https://bdtruth.com.au/main/news/article/2221-Crows-seething--over-Davis-loss.html

Davis, recovering from a shoulder reconstruction, was told to immediately clean out his locker at the Crows after informing them of his decision.

“He’s the enemy now and will be treated as such,” Harper said.

I guess there's two sets of rules when it comes to Trigg. Again.
Exactly what I just thought.
I'm sorry but if you are going to go and work for a competitor, there is no way I let you stay around here making decisions. Once your head and heart have left you need to leave as well.
Chapman needs to grow a set.

Get a bucket ready...

Dear Members,
You are probably aware by now that I today advised the Club I am stepping down as Chief Executive Officer. I informed the Board, staff, coaches and players in person, but as you can appreciate that is not possible with nearly 60,000 members and 400 corporate partners.
I want to say thank you. The timing is right for me, and the Adelaide Football Club. It has played on my mind lately, given the incredible progress and successes of the past year. By that I mean, the move to Adelaide Oval, the acquisition of our AFL licence, forming a new Constitution, the development of our SANFL team, and numerous other agreements relating to the city venue and AAMI Stadium.

I leave knowing everything is in really great shape. As of today, the Club:
  • boasts a powerful financial situation and asset base
  • an extraordinary world class venue for home matches
  • exceptional training facilities
  • a record membership nearing 60,000
  • a record average attendance which is second highest in the AFL
  • a rapidly expanding digital and social media reach
  • a talented young playing list which is improving all the time
  • corporate support and partnerships which are strong and stable
And underpinning all of that is a football program, and on field performances, which have earned widespread respect. We should all be proud.

I also want to make something very clear… your Club is full of hard working, incredibly talented and capable people, who are superbly led by the Board and senior management.

I would like to sincerely thank you for your support. The past couple of years have challenged everyone involved with the Club. But the support and encouragement from our members and corporate partners, during my entire time as Chief Executive Officer, has been incredible and greatly appreciated.

I cannot thank the current and past Boards enough. Their efforts have, and continue to be, first class. I will always cherish the support they have provided me. A board of lesser strength and resilience would have lost its way under the pressure and scrutiny of recent years.

AFL is an emotional business and I am well aware there will be a range of reactions to my departure and in particular, questioning of my decision to join another Club. The best and simplest answer is that if you are motivated, love the game, have something to offer and a point to prove… then to use a footy term, you have a crack!

This has not been an easy decision. I have enjoyed the highs and endured the lows with our team for nearly two decades. I am a life member of this great Club. It is tough to separate yourself from such an addictive environment.

It has been a privilege to serve as Chief Executive Officer. I leave for now, knowing that I could not have given any more. The Club has always come first.

I have been asked to complete a few key projects over the next month, so I will be around the place, albeit in a limited capacity.

There will always be some red, gold and blue in my heart. I wish the Adelaide Football Club the very best of luck as it seeks the success it so richly deserves.

Yep everything is going great. We are great. Everyone is great. I've done a great job.

You all believe that don't you?

I am going to deliberately NOT listen to 5AA or any other radio station tonight. The love in will be vomit inducing.

Trigg staying on for another four weeks reminded me of this quote from Harper about Phil Davis.

https://bdtruth.com.au/main/news/article/2221-Crows-seething--over-Davis-loss.html

Davis, recovering from a shoulder reconstruction, was told to immediately clean out his locker at the Crows after informing them of his decision.

“He’s the enemy now and will be treated as such,” Harper said.

I guess there's two sets of rules when it comes to Trigg. Again.
Yes

Exactly the same scenario :confused:

Exactly what I just thought.
I'm sorry but if you are going to go and work for a competitor, there is no way I let you stay around here making decisions. Once your head and heart have left you need to leave as well.
Chapman needs to grow a set.

If he had a set Trigg would have been gone two years ago. So that mystery's been solved.

Nothing wrong with Trigg's email. He's been there a long time, nothing wrong with listing what he sees as the club's major accomplishments in that time.

As for him sticking at the club for 28 days, it does say that it will be in a limited capacity and that Noble and Smart will be sharing his major roles. Hopefully he's just there in roles that he can't be substituted for and little else.

I'm not really interested in ripping him down now that he's leaving. I'm much more interested in finding out who will be filling his shoes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...with 400 - that's four double oh - four zero zero - corporate partners...

That I got, if that's not clear.

I.

Me.

Four hundred corporate partners. All me. What you got to say about that, agitators?

Jen is allowed to maintain her defence of Trigg. Nothing wrong with that. No need to make fun of her and tell her to support a different club.

Don't do it.

I've got no problem with Jenny having an opinion. My opinion is that her defence of Trigg took precedence over her defence of the club. Even in his resignation she continued her defence, so I don't think it was unreasonable for me to respond to this, even if the post did have a sarcastic tone.

I'm happy for Trigg to hang around for a bit. You know, to see all the smiling, high-fiving etc.

I want him to not get invited to tonites impromptu work drinks in person...

As for him sticking at the club for 28 days, it does say that it will be in a limited capacity and that Noble and Smart will be sharing his major roles. Hopefully he's just there in roles that he can't be substituted for and little else.

He's the only one that can unblock the mens toilet??

Should go immediately IMO, another clubs CEO should have NO input into the AFC.

This just further shows how out of depth/touch Chapman is.

I'd never seen this full quote before and it's particularly enlightening as it sets out the overarching Triggian philosophy of 'if you make it to the finals you never know what might happen' (source: http://archive.today/YJp7#selection-1863.0-1875.152).

In hindsight I think this has been the single biggest millstone around our necks - the mistaken belief that if you're in or around the eight your turn will come. In modern footy (and the changed finals structure post 97/98) I simply don't think that's true and we've got the finals record over his 12-13 year tenure to prove it.

"I don't like the term 'rebuilding' and I never have. I think players and staff hide behind that, so we would prefer to be well planned and to stay as competitive as we possibly can all the while trying to make the finals.

The experience for us, still in our hearts and minds, is that we weren't the best team in 1997 and 1998 through the minor round, but we got there and then got it right at the right time and that could still happen this year to any of the teams in the bottom part of the eight.

But you simply can't give yourself a crack at it if you're out of the eight, so our philosophy is to just keep planning, keep developing the list, keep managing out some of the seniority we think needs to be making way for the development aspect and to keep making the eight to give ourselves a chance.

Other clubs might have a different view to that, but that's ours and under this board and mine and Neil's regime, that's the way we would like it to be."

- Steven Trigg, 27th August 2008​

Remove this Banner Ad

Back