Opinion It's time St Kilda and Riewoldt moved on in different direction

Remove this Banner Ad

pretty misleading thread title
if it wasnt by thunda i wouldve thought the OP was about giving him the boot or trading, both of which are the most stupid things ive ever heard in my life ffs

move him to a diff position for sure im all up for that
the sooner we get the forward line sorted out and stick with what we believe to be the future the better
dont chop and change it every second week ffs
back the payers you think are the future and give them a month in those possies no matter the touches or mistakes

it wont be long and it will be too late when we put someone at ff perm, roo will be gone and someone will be dumped in teh deep end

this is not rocket science ffs
sort it out and sort it out now

No

Wrt to losing him

Wrt position
He should be more flexible.... Wing/CHB are positions he can frequent when we are under siege

High forward/Low Foward roles predominantly still though IMOIMO

I see "footy experts" in media are catching on and saying Roo needs move up onto the wing now aswell..

We looked really good with Roo playing back in the second quarter. It really opened up the forward line with Stanley, Minch and TDL becoming targets.

Move him to the wing ala Sydney game last year in Wellington wear he got about 30 touches and 15 marks, let Stanley, Lee, White, Minchington, Templeton, Billings, Schneider, Markworth and the rest have a go in the forward line together.

Not as sure now with Roo moving to the wing. It has been noticeable this year, that when the ball has been kicked badly, over / under / sideways / through, that he is having mobility issues in stopping and pivoting. Look for it in the next match, as have been watching for it in the past few and its there in every game.

He has been carrying this leg problem for years, but now it is definitely affecting his mobility. Not sure if the wing will suit him, or if he is for long searching leads in straight lines, he could be fine. But either way, it is affecting where he is playing now, let alone speculation of where he could play.

Just wanted to throw my two cents worth in here guys. Nick is still of great value to the side in the forward line he is taking the oppositions number one key defender which allows players like Stanley to develop without the extra pressure of being the go to player.

If the club really thinks that other options need to be tried in the forward line happy to see it trialled. But personally I think he is still the best key forward in the AFL and has been for a decade.

Also the wing isn 't a bad alternative position for Nick, he is also a pretty good Centre Half Back winning the Rising Star award while mainly playing there.

And since it has been mentioned yes Nick Riewoldt is definetly one of the clubs all time greats. But if we are talking about all time lets not forget about players such as Baldock, Stewart, Harvey, Barker, Howell etc.

Game is not like Soccer

He can play deep fwd, high fwd, Wing, plus one... All during one game....

Players should be multi faceted

He was getting massive amounts of ball because he was sprinting back into defence when the ball left the forward line. When he kicked a behind it was because he was behind a quick moving ball in defence then was presenting in the forward line a second later. No wonder he didn't kick straight. His legs would have been blowing up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riewoldt, 31, told an AFL Live finals launch this week that his body is feeling as good as it has for some time.

The star forward, who has not missed a game this season, is contracted until the end of next season, but Richardson is confident the skipper can go on for at least two or three more seasons.

“This is where Nick is at — as long as his body is capable, and as long as he still wants to play and enjoys it, I think he will continue to play,” Richardson said this week.

“Dustin Fletcher is 39, so ‘Rooey’ is only a baby.

“He is playing good footy and recent weeks we have shown that we can have two talls and Nick in attack.”

Asked if the end of 2015 might see the end of Riewoldt, Richardson was adamant there should be no time frame placed on him: “Far from it ... injuries are always an unknown, but at the moment, it all looks really positive.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...-st-kilda-saints/story-e6frf3e3-1227019109644

It would be amazing if Rooey's body held out till our next finals birth in a few years. I almost feel like he would push himself to do it if his knee could hold up. Slim chance though admitably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back