Roast It's time to ditch the pokies

Remove this Banner Ad

Brishawk may I ask how old are you? And how long have you been living in Brisbane? I would really like to know how things compared in the Logan area pre and post pokies. I was born around the time that pokies were legalised by Kirner and Goss, so unfortunately I don't know a world without pokies.
Shizen that part of town (Bogan Logan) has some social issues. I was working on the train corridor through the area. Somehow I think a lot of the issues in this area would be drug related.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Shizen that part of town (Bogan Logan) has some social issues. I was working on the train corridor through the area. Somehow I think a lot of the issues in this area would be drug related.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
The area has its challenges no doubt. I grew up in Moe & Drouin as a kid and moved to Logan just before I was due to start highschool in Victoria (bloody another year of Primary School in QLD because of the grade 7 thing). Moe was the roughest area I lived in, however all 3 were a bit rough. All 3 are areas where family incomes are lower, education in schools are poor (compared to more affluent areas), unemployment is high, general health is poor and mental health issues are high.

In my experience however substance abuse & addiction problems are similar regardless of where people live, it is just one set of people have the finances to support it compared to another set of people (relatively speaking). Logan didn't go to s**t because there are a few pokies at the Greenbank RSL or Logan Diggers, it went to s**t because the housing affordability of the area has built a community of people on low incomes (I know there are plenty of people who live in Logan who are well off so this does not apply to all at all) and in poor socioeconomic areas, all the issues I mentioned above and more are typically present.

As Brisbane grows the house prices will grow in Logan pushing more of those on lower incomes closer to the Gold Coast or Ipswich, however the pokies will still remain at the RSL and Diggers club. People will still gamble and lose a lot of money but the reputation or the area will improve as the average income goes up. Inala in Brisbane is a classic example of this - it is still an area that struggles but is rapidly on the improve as housing affordability gets worse there. The number of violent incidents in both the community and at their schools has dropped significantly compared to 10 years ago. There are still pokies at the Durack Tavern (next suburb to Inala for those not in QLD), but that has nothing to do with why the area really struggled, or why now it is on the improve.

With that said, I'd love to see a ban on the introduction of any new pokies - there is only ever one person who wins and it isn't the gambler.

tl;dr version
Pokies are bad but aren't the reason why lower socioeconomic communities struggle.

Why select the pokies? Lotto tickets are are just as easy to waste your money on, and the principle of a machine doing the number selection for you is no different.
I think it's the speed of the transaction in that pokies money in then spin then result in a few seconds compared to lotto over a few days. Rapid feedback predisposes to addictive behaviour - activates dopamine system (reward pathway)

I know this was meant to be a joke, but you raise a good point. Cigarettes and pokies are similar in that they are both deliberately designed to be addictive. Their business models are more similar than different.
Precisely. The argument in this thread is off track. The debate is not about the merits of poker machines. The debate is about whether we want our football club to have an association with and industry that generates controvesy.

Would we take sponsorship dollars from a brothel?

I think it's the speed of the transaction in that pokies money in then spin then result in a few seconds compared to lotto over a few days. Rapid feedback predisposes to addictive behaviour - activates dopamine system (reward pathway)

Well how about scratchies. Took my wife to Australia for the first time back in 2001/2.
Bought a couple of $2 tickets, had a small win, and was almost addicted immediately. Loved that she could get her winnings straight away.

What I'm saying that a person can become addicted to any form of gambling, and if one is taken away, well, they will soon find a replacement.

Precisely. The argument in this thread is off track. The debate is not about the merits of poker machines. The debate is about whether we want our football club to have an association with and industry that generates controvesy.

If the industry is legal in Australia and want to give Hawthorn FC money how do you say no?

Or is more important to determine and rank who is morally worthy.

It is always easy to find something wrong with any and all industries.

If the industry is legal in Australia and want to give Hawthorn FC money how do you say no?

Or is more important to determine and rank who is morally worthy.

It is always easy to find something wrong with any and all industries.
Too true but you cannot escape from the fact that organizations and individuals whom rely on sponsorship dollars take into account the symbiosis of the relationship. That's why we don't see tobacco companies sponsoring sport in Australia anymore. Yet smoking, last time I checked is legal here.

Too true but you cannot escape from the fact that organizations and individuals whom rely on sponsorship dollars take into account the symbiosis of the relationship. That's why we don't see tobacco companies sponsoring sport in Australia anymore. Yet smoking, last time I checked is legal here.

But you can't advertise cigarettes.

So you'll end up with a blank space on the jumper!

Does that mean Hawthorn can not own a business that sells cigarettes or alcohol?

No, because going to a brothel is not socially acceptable so the image of the club would be tarnished if that were to happen.

And Pokies are not sponsoring the club, just funding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does that mean Hawthorn can not own a business that sells cigarettes or alcohol?
No. They can own brothels too.
The other aspect of the debate that warrants discussions is. Is revenue gained from poker machines absolutely necessary for the Hawthorn Football Club to remain a powerhouse of the competition. Or is there room for more innovative ways for the club generate revenue and keep one step ahead of its competitors?

No. They can own brothels too.
The other aspect of the debate that warrants discussions is. Is revenue gained from poker machines absolutely necessary for the Hawthorn Football Club to remain a powerhouse of the competition. Or is there room for more innovative ways for the club generate revenue and keep one step ahead of its competitors?

If we are going to take over the world, we have to take the whole thing.

No, because going to a brothel is not socially acceptable so the image of the club would be tarnished if that were to happen.

And Pokies are not sponsoring the club, just funding.
So would you be comfortable if the club entertained the idea of prioritising a chain of brothels as a revenue stream so long as they didn't promote it? Despite stakeholders being aware of the relationship?

So would you be comfortable if the club entertained the idea of prioritising a chain of brothels as a revenue stream so long as they didn't promote it? Despite stakeholders being aware of the relationship?

They would be well run brothels and we would make positive changes to the oldest profession .

That's not what I said.

I see what you mean?

I have no problem with this kind of legal business as long as it made economical sense.

So, who not the tab?

That's much worse, with no limit on how many bets you can make, how much you bet etc

Surely the Hawks, now, can afford to ditch the pokies. The Club should look into other ways of raising revenue. The Hawks should cut all ties with this poison. If North can do it, why can't we?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back