Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

On a side note Mods. How does a quote get changed like the one above ??????

My apologies MrMagic , I thought you were talking about Ivan Soldo....

He's a long way off, going by the one game i watched him play for the Knights. Did a couple nice things though

Spot on but he has the tools, we just need to develop it. He has what I am most pleased with something coaches cant teach. He has white line fevour, loves the rough stuff and more importantly plays like a team player.

I really hope he develops and plays games in 2016-2017.

Who are some Cat-B rookies that regularly play AFL? RFC_Official might be able to help us out there?

I think pike , swans ruck may be one, off the top of my head. But I can't recall any RFC players captain Cotch 9 .....

I think pike , swans ruck may be one, off the top of my head. But I can't recall any RFC players captain Cotch 9 .....

Category B rookies are mostly international players I think. We've had a couple of Irish boys (for memory) as have a lot of other teams. Maybe Hanley from the Lions would be one. Touhy and the other Irish lad the blooze have may be another couple. Pyke certainly was one.

Mark Blicavs from Geelong would be another. More comparable to Soldo, Australian recruited from another sport to play as a ruckman (as opposed to an Irish/foreign recruit).

Category B rookies are mostly international players I think. We've had a couple of Irish boys (for memory) as have a lot of other teams. Maybe Hanley from the Lions would be one. Touhy and the other Irish lad the blooze have may be another couple. Pyke certainly was one.

You can have 1 Irishman as Category B, anymore and they have to be Category A.

Former NSW scholorship players like Tex Walker, Will Langford and Jarrod Witts all qualify. NSW/QLD zone picks (and now academy) qualify including Keiren Jack. Foreigners, guys from other sports.

The Category A/B division thing is relatively knew. Really only dates from 2008 or so, and the technicalities have probably changed every year since. Don't know when the simplified A/B stuff came in but probably only 2-3 years. If you were being really fussy about it I think only Blicavs and Langford might have been Cat B rookies (Pyke and international rookie in a previous model).

You can have 1 Irishman as Category B, anymore and they have to be Category A.

Former NSW scholorship players like Tex Walker, Will Langford and Jarrod Witts all qualify. NSW/QLD zone picks (and now academy) qualify including Keiren Jack. Foreigners, guys from other sports.

The Category A/B division thing is relatively knew. Really only dates from 2008 or so, and the technicalities have probably changed every year since. Don't know when the simplified A/B stuff came in but probably only 2-3 years. If you were being really fussy about it I think only Blicavs and Langford might have been Cat B rookies (Pyke and international rookie in a previous model).

Knew about other sports/ international players but not the NSW scholarship players. So how does the academy stuff work? They can be taking as a Cat B rookie if they are not drafted i.e. I assume Heeney will be on the Senior list for the Swans.

Knew about other sports/ international players but not the NSW scholarship players. So how does the academy stuff work? They can be taking as a Cat B rookie if they are not drafted i.e. I assume Heeney will be on the Senior list for the Swans.

Yeah. After the draft proper, but before the rookie draft, they have always been able to take zone players onto the rookie list. Now they can add em from the Academy instead. If no one bids on them they are basically scraps and can be had for free. Think it just replaces the 5th one on this list (the 3rd one is obsolete now).

• has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
  • is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;
  • is a former NSW Scholarship player with that club;
  • is a former International Scholarship player with that club;
  • is a rookie Zone Selection for clubs based in NSW or Queensland.

Yeah. After the draft proper, but before the rookie draft, they have always been able to take zone players onto the rookie list. Now they can add em from the Academy instead. If no one bids on them they are basically scraps and can be had for free. Think it just replaces the 5th one on this list (the 3rd one is obsolete now).

• has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
  • is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;
  • is a former NSW Scholarship player with that club;
  • is a former International Scholarship player with that club;
  • is a rookie Zone Selection for clubs based in NSW or Queensland.

Interesting, very interesting. Thanks mate - appreciate the clarity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10806375_10152877648148276_607445278917793518_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back