Traded Jack Billings

Remove this Banner Ad

From fox fox footy, re the jet
bb4e7b4145baee9fc71bd777e7fb0306

Jack Billings. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)Source:Getty Images
St Kilda intra-club: Jack Billings stars in Saints scratch match, while Roberton injures left ankle
  • 2 days ago
  • by TOM MORRIS
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
THE 1000 or so loyal Saints fans that made their way to Trevor Barker Oval in Sandringham on Friday evening will be buoyed by a number of players’ efforts, but none more so than Jack Billings.

The polished left footer shook off any lingering injury concerns to dominate St Kilda’s intra-club, frankly looking like a Rolls-Royce in a carpark full of Toyotas.

That may seem a little harsh on the 20-year-old’s teammates, some of whom are now younger than he is and also showed significant promise — without the Billings grace. In reality, the distinction is more a reflection of his mouth-watering talent than it is of his teammates lack there of.

Starting on the wing, Billings seemingly had his own football for the first of four terms — with a two-minute break halfway through each quarter effectively splitting the match into eight 10-minute periods.

He booted two goals and, not unlike Scott Pendlebury, appeared to be playing the game in slow motion regardless of the surrounding traffic.

Shin stress fractures cruelled the former No. 3 draft pick’s 2015 season and it was a visibly leaner Billings that took the field on Friday evening.

“I think it’s important for those young guys to spend some time up the field,” St Kilda assistant coach Rohan Welsh said of Billings and teammate Blake Acres.

“Jack spent some time on the wing, forward and through the midfield as well. They have done a fair bit of work over the pre-season so for him to go on the wing and in the midfield is good.”

Good to see Jacky boy up there with some elite kickers on champion data

BEST KICKS (with 100-plus attempts) WHO MADE THEIR DEBUT IN PAST TWO SEASONS
NAMECLUBKICK RATING
Billy Hartung

Hawthorn+4.4 per cent
Cory Gregson
Geelong+4.4 per cent
Jack Billings
St Kilda+4.0 per cent
Patrick Ambrose
Essendon+3.1 per cent
Martin Gleeson
North Melbourne+3.0 per cent
Stats supplied by Champion Data

THE AFL players have voted St Kilda's Jack Billings and Gold Coast's Kade Kolodjashnij as the youngsters most likely to become stars in 2016.

Players from every club were surveyed to reach the decision as part of the AFL Players' Top 50, brought to you by Mars. In an open race, Billings garnered 12 per cent of the players' vote as their tip for 2016's breakout star, edging out Kolodjashnij (11 per cent).

Billings has shown plenty of promise in the first two years of his career.

The third pick in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft has spent a lot of time in the forward line but will play more midfield as he builds his tank.

He kicked four second-half goals in the Saints' 55-point comeback against the Western Bulldogs in round six at Etihad Stadium last year.

A shin injury cut the 20-year-old's season short. It delayed his return to full training for the pre-season but with his prodigious talent, Billings looks set to be a star.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-12...five-most-likely-to-explode-in-2016.mobileapp

Breakout stars: The players tip the five most likely to explode in 2016
Dinny Navaratnam
March 12, 2016 9:53 AM

378786-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

St Kilda's Jack Billings (l) has been voted the most likely player to become a breakout star in 2016

Who's set to break out at your club this season?

THE AFL players have voted St Kilda's Jack Billings and Gold Coast's Kade Kolodjashnij as the youngsters most likely to become stars in 2016.

Players from every club were surveyed to reach the decision as part of the AFL Players' Top 50, brought to you by Mars. In an open race, Billings garnered 12 per cent of the players' vote as their tip for 2016's breakout star, edging out Kolodjashnij (11 per cent).

Fremantle's Tommy Sheridan (eight per cent) finished third.

Billings has shown plenty of promise in the first two years of his career.

The third pick in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft has spent a lot of time in the forward line but will play more midfield as he builds his tank.

He kicked four second-half goals in the Saints' 55-point comeback against the Western Bulldogs in round six at Etihad Stadium last year.

A shin injury cut the 20-year-old's season short. It delayed his return to full training for the pre-season but with his prodigious talent, Billings looks set to be a star.

WHICH PLAYER WILL MAKE THE LEAP TO STARDOM IN 2016?
PlayerTeamVotes
Jack BillingsSTK12 per cent
Kade KolodjashnijGCFC11 per cent
Tommy SheridanFRE8 per cent
Cameron GuthrieGEEL7 per cent
Zach MerrettESS6 per cent
Kolodjashnij, 20, has been particularly notable because he has performed well even when his team has played poorly. The Suns won four games in 2015 (and drew with West Coast).

Drafted two spots after Billings at No.5 in the 2013 draft, Kolodjashnij ranked equal sixth in rebound 50s per game (with the Swans' Dane Rampe) in his second year.

He showed his durability by playing every game and was runner-up in Gold Coast's best and fairest to forward Tom Lynch.

Sheridan nailed down a spot in Fremantle's best team in 2015 despite a calf injury early in the season. He flourished as a running half-back and averaged just short of 18 disposals.

His excellent season ended with a sting – a dropped mark late in the Dockers' preliminary final against Hawthorn resulted in a Cyril Rioli goal.

Nevertheless, that moment won't define Sheridan, as he looks set to establish himself as a key member of Fremantle's side.

Geelong's Cam Guthrie (seven per cent) and Essendon's Zach Merrett (six) rounded out the top five.

Who's next? Click here to view the AFL Players' Top 50 as they are revealed

The AFL Players' Top 50 is compiled with the support of the AFL Players' Association

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome back Jack, we’ve missed your class

When it comes to class, there is no one classier at St Kilda than Jack Billings. Following an injury ravaged 2015 campaign, with a stress fracture in his shin limiting him to just nine games, Billings’ appears to be desperate to make up for a wasted year. His three goals in five minutes against Melbourne in the NAB Challenge emphasised his nous around goal and his ability to convert. Given his polished ball use and St Kilda’s need to improve their final kick inside 50, it will be intriguing to see where exactly the No. 3 pick plays against the Power. Whether he plays higher up the ground or closer to goal, his return to AFL football provides the Saints scoring ability with an emphatic boost. Look for him inside the arc, working alongside Jack Lonie at the feet of Josh Bruce and Nick Riewoldt

Classy Billings checks back in

With a handful of milestones – Leigh Montagna 250 games, Nick Riewoldt 200 games as captain and Sean Dempster 150 club games – plus the reality of Round 1, the return of Jack Billings received little fanfare. And with a minimal of fuss, the smooth mover made a successful return to league football, officially putting a frustrating second season behind him at Adelaide Oval. Billings collected 22 possessions, seven clearances and two goal assists as he did the bulk of his work inside the Saints attacking half of the ground, alongside his partner in crime Jack Lonie. After managing only nine games in 2015 due to a stress fracture in his shin, the sight of Billings hovering around 50 provided Alan Richardson’s side with some quality forward entry service. And one thing is for sure, he will only be better for the run after such a long absence

Jack Billings interview
St Kilda midfielder Jack Billings on his first game back on the weekend.
With minimal fuss, Billings re-enters the stage
Josh Gabelich - @GabelichJosh

29 March 2016 4:24 PM

In all the anticipation of Round 1, the celebration of a handful of significant milestones and the introduction of a highly touted youngster, emerging St Kilda star Jack Billings flew under the radar on Sunday, making an understated return from the debilitating stress fracture that curtailed his second season.

But that’s not to suggest Billings’ return wasn’t noticed inside the four walls of Linen House Centre. Finally, after not playing since Round 10 of last season, the smooth operator with the damaging left foot reacquainted himself in red, white and black, much to the joy of Alan Richardson who is desperate for his side to be more damaging with their ball use in the front half of the ground.

On the wide expanses of Adelaide Oval, the former No. 3 draft pick made an impressive comeback, collecting 22 possessions, two goal assists and seven inside 50s – three of his entries resulted in scores to emphasise his ability to create scoring pressure by foot.

After such a tedious rehabilitation program, which was overseen by new High Performance Manager Matt Hornsby and Strength and Conditioning Manager Josh Low, amongst others, Billings reflected on the body of work that went into putting his body back together.

Monday Wash Up: Round 1 v Port Adelaide

“Personally it was pretty exciting to be back out there after such a long layoff,” Billings told saints.com.au on Tuesday afternoon.

“The recovery was quite long; I didn’t run for about four months from July to November.

“The medical team have been awesome, right through from the physios, to Matt Hornsby – he was really transparent and really good in setting up my program.

“And then Josh Low really helped me especially in my off-season last year. He went out of his way to help me in the gym and in the altitude room. He really gave me that confidence to get back.”

Having not previously missed much football at all, sitting on the sidelines during the second half of 2015 felt foreign for Billings. Not being able to do what he loved was difficult to cope with, but ever the optimist, the Scotch College product believes it will be beneficial for his development, as both a player and person.

“I’m a bit of a footy head, I sort of live and breathe it, so it was pretty tough. I had to learn to deal with it. Hopefully it’s going to make me better as a person and a player,” Billings said.

Become a 3 Game Plus member & watch Rooey's 300th in Round 2

On the eve of Nick Riewoldt’s 300th game, Billings said the St Kilda champion has had a profound impact on his development in his first few years at the club, teaching him the importance of coming in each day with a desire to improve.

“He’s been massive for me personally and all the young guys especially in the last few years,” Billings said.

“Obviously he’s an amazing player; he’s had an incredible career and one of the games greats. His work rate is just amazing, he’s just a really inspirational player and captain and that’s why all the guys love him.

“I guess for me he’s always told me to set high standards and keep pushing myself to be better each day. I think that’s probably the main thing that I’ve learnt from him and can really take away.”

Scrap heap!! List clogger!!

Sorry jack... I can't stay mad @you

Impressive record (if those are kept?)

If he backs it up again this week with 25 touches and a goal it's gonna be well impressive. Teams will need to start putting time into him. Less than 30 games into his career and coming off a pretty tough season ending injury last year.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back