Traded Jack Billings

Jun 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
"I'm obviously frustrated that my injury hasn't healed as I hoped it would," Billings told SAINTS.com.au.

"However it’s important that I get it right now so it doesn’t plague me in the long-term. I’ll work hard with the medical staff in my rehab and look forward to getting back into full training later in the year."

Spot on.

It's disappointing that he won't be able to play for the remainder of the season but we need to get him to 100%, no matter how long it takes.

It would be fantastic for Jack to have an uninterrupted pre-season under his belt.

sJULabF.jpg

Jackbenimble

Senior List
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
My boy! ' if you're not bulking you're sulking '!

1_TR091115MW0621_620X370.jpg

A bulkier Billings
Michael Whiting

2 December 2015 2:34 PM

CREATIVE St Kilda half-forward Jack Billings has put the disappointment of a season-ending fracture behind him, saying in the long run he'll be better for it.

Speaking to AFL.com.au at the Saints' pre-season training camp on Queensland's Sunshine Coast, Billings described the shock of missing the final 12 games of 2015 with a fractured tibia.

The 20-year-old said he had to quickly get it in his head that he wouldn't play beyond round 10 and that his next senior game wouldn't be for almost 10 months

Jackbenimble

Senior List
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jacky boy might not be getting on the track as much as we'd like.... But wowee! Isn't he spreading that Christmas cheer!
151211-moose.jpg

St Kilda’s Moose stampede
saints.com.au

11 December 2015 2:14 PM

Ready to feel good about yourself and your club ? Well, here goes…

Thanks to 80 new members signing up on Day 9 (Wednesday), of our 12 Days of Christmas campaign, St Kilda will donate that number of toys from the good people at Moose toward the Challenge Toy Drive.

That’s at least 80 smiles and warm feelings coming up thanks purely to our fantastic fans (now turned members). How good is that!

We are VERY proud of this initiative because we know more children will now have a gift to open this Christmas Day – it’s another way the club is giving back to the community and making our members feel proud.

On behalf of everyone at St Kilda, have a fantastic festive period and click here to believe and belong in 2016 as a Saints member.

Jackbenimble

Senior List
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda

Richo on 2016: Part 1
Senior Coach Alan Richardson talks about the state of our list heading into the 2016 season.
Freeman, Billings progressing well
Josh Gabelich - @GabelichJosh

7 January 2016 3:00 PM

Off-season acquisition Nathan Freeman is making steady progress with his troublesome hamstring, edging closer to joining the main group after suffering a minor setback prior to the Christmas break.

The No. 10 draft pick has endured a tumultuous time during his first two and a bit years in the system, due to chronic hamstring issues that have limited him to only a handful of appearances at VFL level.

Despite the ongoing issue, St Kilda Coach Alan Richardson remains optimistic about Freeman’s prospects, confident the strong willed, athletically gifted 20-year-old can emerge from years drenched with disappointed, and build on the impressive start he has chiselled out of adversity at Linen House Centre.

“When someone doesn’t play for two years – or play senior footy for two years – and you bring them to your footy club, you make sure they have all the attributes that when they are fit and healthy they’re going to be a really good player for you, otherwise you wouldn’t do the deal,” Richardson told saints.com.auon Thursday.

“But you also go into it realistically, knowing that this is going to take a while and this is where ‘Free’s’ is at.

“He’s an incredible worker; he’s a great kid; he’s a very positive person; he’s already won the respect of his teammates with the way he’s gone about his training and the way that he’s coped with his minor setback.

“Having said all that, he’s not far away really, in terms of joining in. In probably a couple of weeks, you’ll turn up and watch training and not notice that he’s been out of it.

"He’s a pretty impressive athlete so it won’t take long for him to get up to speed with the rest of the group."

Richardson revealed the Saints were erring on the side of caution with young game-breaker Jack Billings, pulling on the reigns to ensure he isn’t brought back too soon.

Billings – taken seven picks ahead of Freeman in the 2013 National Draft – managed only nine senior games in 2015 as he battled persistent shin problems that put the brakes on his development in his second season.

“He’s going well, we’re holding him back a little bit, he’s getting a little bit frustrated as he wants to get out there, he wants to contribute, he doesn’t want to be missing out and that’s what he thinks he’s doing at the minute. But that’s okay,” Richardson said.

“We’ve been somewhat conservative with Jack, but he’d only be a week, perhaps two before he’s back in doing all the stuff.

“He’s a person that’s really important to us for obvious reasons – he’s exactly what we need – someone with that class and run on the outside to complement some of our bigger, harder guys on the inside

Jackbenimble

Senior List
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Weekly Injury Report: Preseason
Weekly Injury Report: Preseason
Club Physiotherapist Andrew Wallis takes a look though the current Saints injury list.
Injury Update: Billings on track
27 January 2016 5:19 PM

Exciting St Kilda young gun Jack Billings is making strong progress in his return from the persistent shin issues that restricted him to only nine games last year, prematurely ending his season after round ten.

The No.3 pick has had to be held back throughout the pre-season to date with high performance staff electing to take a cautious approach with Billings. But since the turn of the new year the prodigious talent has taken strides in his rehabilitation.

“He’s progressing pretty well with his shin. He missed most of last year with a stress fracture, but he’s coming back really well. He’s been partaking in all of the training, so we’re pretty happy with him,” St Kilda head physiotherapist Andrew Wallis told saints.com.au on Wednesday afternoon.

Off-season recruit Nathan Freeman still remains a work in progress, with the highly-rated midfield prospect continuing the rehabilitation program for his troublesome hamstrings.

Freeman arrived at Linen House Centre during last October’s trade period after two fruitless seasons at Collingwood that were plagued by persistent hamstring related injuries.

Wallis is confident the former top-ten draft pick will get on top of the frustrating issue soon and transition into full training with the main group in the coming weeks.

“We’re progressing slowly with Nathan. He’s had recurrent hamstrings over the journey, but is doing well at the moment,” Wallis said.

“He’s working with the strength and conditioning guys to get his speed and agility up.

“We imagine that he’ll be back in full training in several weeks and then the aim is to see how he progresses with that.”

Experienced midfielder Jarryn Geary is the only recent injury issue at St Kilda, after the 27-year-old strained his quad recently.

Wallis said that Geary would resume full training when the list returns after their four-day break, with the injury having no impact on his NAB Challenge series preparations.

“Our only real injury at the moment is Jarryn Geary. He strained a quad, but he is two weeks post injury, so he’s progressing really well,” he said.

“He goes back into full training next week. He’ll be available to play NAB – he really won’t be hindered at all

Attachments

• 816480_thumb_326x184.jpg
    816480_thumb_326x184.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
http://dreamteamtalk.com/2016/01/30/jack-billings-deck-of-dt-2016/

Jack Billings - Deck of DT 2016

Billings showed every indication of a breakout 2015. In fact he did, only it was cut short by injury. Despite playing just nine games, Billings left an optimistic impression amongst most footy fans, however we’d have to wait until now to see it transpire. A typical breakout is looming large this season as he’ll hopefully play the entire season in the same manner he did across last.

As a fantasy coach, I prefer players who I can watch with anticipation. You know these guys because when they have possession, you have the impression that something influential is going to happen. Heath Shaw in defence, Scott Pendlebury in the midfield and perhaps, Jack Billings in the forward line all fit this description. Last season we saw that He is more than capable of winning the game off his own boot, as the clear difference maker between St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs in Round 6.

Jackbenimble

Senior List
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda

Billings: Preseason
St Kilda midfielder/forward Jack Billings provided SAINTS.com.au with a preseason update.
A clean Bill(ings) of health

1 February 2016 6:23 PM

Prior to last year, Jack Billings had rarely missed a game of football in his entire career. But after succumbing to a stress fracture in his shin, the highly-rated young gun had the brakes applied on his promising career, putting him in unfamiliar territory.

The former No. 3 draft pick played nine of the first ten games of 2015, producing moments of brilliance and pure class that left St Kilda fans salivating. But unfortunately the excitement ended prematurely with Billings as the cruel reality of injury drew his season to a halt.

Since returning from the Christmas interval, the 20-year-old has transitioned back into full training, slowly putting his injury concerns behind him. Although due to the nature of his injury, the club will continue to closely monitor his workload to ensure the problematic issue doesn’t resurface.

After such a long, frustrating absence, Billings is thrilled to be back on the tools in a full capacity and has set his sights on the looming NAB Challenge series, which is creeping up in the not too distant future.

“It’s been a good solid period for me. I’ve been back training with the boys for the past few weeks. So I’m obviously rapt to be back and just enjoying being out there,” Billings told saints.com.au.

“We’ve started match simulation, so that’s always fun. I’m just looking forward to starting the praccy games.

“I was in rehab for a fair while and slowly they graduated me back into the main group. The club’s been really good to me in looking out for me and just taking a cautious approach so I can get back to full fitness.”

After overcoming the initial shock of suffering a long-term injury, albeit of a less conventional manner, Billings put his head down and went about doing everything in his power to get his body back to a state where it could cope with the rigours of league football.

“It was obviously pretty disappointing. I’ve never missed half a season before so it was a bit of a shock to the system. When I got the news I tried to mentally get my head around it as quick as I could and just look forward,” Billings said.

“I put all my energy into getting myself right and all my rehab that I’ve done ever since. It wasn’t easy, but hopefully that’s behind me now.”

Polished by foot and clinical with his decision making, Billings is viewed as a damaging component of the Saints evolving engine room, particularly with his forward 50 entries and potency forward of centre.

After 25 games spent predominantly hovering across half-forward, Billings is tipped to spend more time inside the centre square this season as his development takes another step forward. A move the Oakleigh Chargers product is hopeful of and believes will suit the reduction in interchange rotations.

“Hopefully (I will spend more time in the midfield), if form permits and the coach wants me to play there,” Billings said.

“I think less rotations this year, down to 90, will probably help that because we’re going to have several numbers of players rolling through the midfield so hopefully I get an opportunity.”

St Kilda’s pre-season campaign enters the business end of the program next week with the Saints holding an intra-club match at Sandringham, before their first NAB Challenge fixture against North Melbourne on February 20

Jackbenimble

Senior List
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Billings mentioned on Saints website

Underneath the top echelon at Linen House Centre sits workhorse midfielders Maverick Weller, Jack Newnes and Luke Dunstan. The support crew who shovel coal into the fire on hard days to keep the engine room ticking over.

Weller has carved out a niche in Alan Richardson’s midfield as a tagger, whilst Dunstan’s work on the inside makes him a crucial component to the Saints onball department – as does Seb Ross who does his best work in close, but has been held back by injury during the early stages of his career.

On the outside, St Kilda hopes to utilise the class ofJack Billings to ensure the last kick inside 50 is as damaging as it can possibly be. And off-season recruitNathan Freeman’s ability to burst away from stoppages and power away on wings was a key reason he was taken at pick No. 10 in the 2013 National Draft. Blake Acres is another who fits this mould.

Jackbenimble

Senior List
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Absence makes heart grow fonder for Saint
Peter Ryan
February 5, 2016 12:48 PM

416618-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Jack Billings at St Kilda training on Friday

ST KILDA youngster Jack Billings says his enforced absence in 2015 because of a shin injury has made him more appreciative of every minute at the club.

The 20-year-old did not play after round 10 and said he found being on the sidelines extremely frustrating.

But it taught him to take nothing for granted as he works his way back into playing games, participating in his first match simulation for the season at training on Friday.

"I have never missed that much footy before. I love footy and I am really passionate about it, so it was really tough," Billings said.

He said the lessons he learned during the recovery process should improve his football.

"It is the most I have learned since I have been at the Saints, dealing with that [injury] and how I go about it I think it is going to make me stronger and hold me in good stead," Billings said.

It has given him some empathy for his new teammate Nathan Freeman, who has been dogged by hamstring injuries since Collingwood drafted him two seasons ago.

Yet to play a game, the former Magpie crossed to the Saints in the trading period.

He is being managed carefully at St Kilda as they try to make his hamstring 'bullet-proof', but Billings said Freeman's attitude had impressed him.

"It's just amazed me how positive he has been the whole time. He is very resilient and I am sure that is going to hold him in good stead," Billings said.

"It's matter of time before he is going to play in the Saints' colours."

Billings took part in the match simulation at the Linen House Centre in Seaford and said he was 'rapt' to get the game under his belt.

He said he had put more emphasis on strengthening his legs this pre-season and he hoped to spend more time in the midfield in his third season.

St Kilda's Cameron Shenton and Jack Newnes were two of the standouts in the hitouts, while young forward Patrick McCartin showed his competitiveness against experienced defender Sam Fisher.

McCartin is progressing well with the Saints continuing to put the work into him.

His mentor, St Kilda skipper Nick Riewoldt, is spending time up the ground during the pre-season, giving the Saints coaches a look at the forward line without the champion inside 50 and also giving Riewoldt a fresh perspective as he heads into his 16th season.

The Saints are expected to announce their leadership group next week, with Riewoldt favourite to retain the captaincy.

Billings endorsed the 33-year-old as the right man for the job.

"He's one of the best captains of our time. All the boys love him and he is so inspiring and the way he leads from the front each week is awesome," Billings said.

Jackbenimble

Senior List
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
STKIL-sb-AFLM.jpg

Midfield recruit Nathan Freeman has been managed since crossing from Collingwood, with his recurrent hamstring problems being monitored closely by the Saints. Right now he is a couple of weeks away from resuming training as he works with the clubs strength and conditioning coaches. There is no timeline for him to play at this stage, with the NAB Challenge now out of reach. Jarryn Geary is recovering from a quad injury but should be available for the NAB Challenge, while Billy Longer and Tim Membrey, who each underwent shoulder surgery at the end of last year, are now in full contact training. After an extended period in rehab, young star Jack Billings has overcome his shin troubles and is eyeing a return to action in the NAB Challenge, albeit on managed minutes. – Nathan Schmook

Jackbenimble

Senior List
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda

Press Conference: Jack Billings (5 Feb)
Jack Billings spoke to the media today at Linen House Centre
Beefed up midfield minutes on the menu for Billings

8 February 2016 5:23 PM

Exciting St Kilda youngster Jack Billings is looking to put a frustrating season behind him by spending more time in the Saints engine room in 2016.

The former No. 3 draft pick was recruited as a long-term midfield option, but has spent the early stages of his career learning his craft across half-forward with small stints in the midfield.

Billings missed the entire second-half of 2015 due to a stress fracture in his shin, which limited him to just nine appearances for the year, putting a clamp on an impressive start to his time at Linen House Centre.

With that troublesome injury now behind him, the 20-year-old has spent the pre-season training with the midfield group expanding his arsenal of weapons, and is ready to take the next step with his football development this season.

“Hopefully throughout the NAB Challenge I’ll play up the ground a lot more. I guess with less rotations this year it’s going to mean I’m going to have to play up the ground,” Billings told reporters at a press conference.

“Versatility I think is one of my strengths, playing a variety of roles, I’m looking forward to that. Hopefully I can contribute.

“I’ve been with the mids all summer and I’ve worked closely with our midfield coach Adam Kingsley who is an extremely good coach and very well experienced.

“So he’s been pushing me hard and I’ve really enjoyed it. I’m learning stuff every day, hopefully I can play my role when I’m in there for the side.”

After a difficult 2014, the Saints took a significant step forward last season, with Alan Richardson’s side establishing itself as one of the best pressure applying sides in the competition.

Billings is confident St Kilda will improve again this year, identifying the clubs wave of youth, on the back of grinding another pre-season into their young body’s, as a driving force in where that improvement will come from.

“I think (improvement will come from) across the board. I think our defence and pressure was a lot better last year,” Billings said.

“Our ball use, we’ve been working on pretty hard over the summer, so hopefully that can help us.

“I guess from an age point of view, all the young guys with another pre-season under their belt can step up a little bit more and not rely on the older guys as much

Back