Universal Love Jack Dyer Medal 2014 - Congratulations Trent Cotchin

Remove this Banner Ad

Should have been,

1. Dustin Martin (impact on games far greater than Cotch)
2. Brandon Ellis (more consistent year that anyone, only reason not first is because Martin won games).

…daylight everyone else. I don't like how Cotchin is treated like the 'darling' of the RFC. 2012 was his benchmark, hasn't gotten anywhere near it since. Needs to hold himself accountable and avoid generalising about the 'boys' holding each other accountable. He's the captain and he's got to show great leadership, language like that speaks of meekness and not strong and bold, which is what we need.

Honestly, how many times was he beaten by his opponent this year?

It's not an easy to question to answer unless we go back round by round and see who he played on. I can say the amount of times I remember him trailing in his opponent in for a mark or beaten in a 1 on 1 was very high and probably only exceeded by Troy Chaplin. Or the amount of times he made a poor decision or skill error was very high. That's how I remember his season. His shoulder has nothing to do with the second part.

Cotchin in the first half of the season was poor in all but a couple of games. Dustin on the other hand was our best in all but a few. There is no way that Cotchin was a better player in 2014 than what Dustin Martin was.

IIRC Dustin Martin actually led the league in errors (yep), 4.2 per game, same with Ablett but Dusty also averaged 7 disposals less than Ablett.

I don't think coaches would like that too much, butCotchin had 3.8 per game as well and averaged only .5 more disposals.

Brandon Ellis the story for mine. Great to see him in the top 2.

Cotch is a champ. Deserved winner.

We have many issues though. Some results showed that.
Super year Brandon after looking like he'd hit a bit of a wall early.
Just reward.

IIRC Dustin Martin actually led the league in errors, 4.2 per game, same with Ablett but Dusty also averaged 7 disposals less than Ablett.

I don't think coaches would like that too much, but oh well.

And Cotchin was also 2nd in that same category, averaging 0.1 errors less per game than Dusty.

And Cotchin was also 2nd in that same category, averaging 0.1 errors less per game than Dusty.

The more you get it the more chance to **** it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only had .5 more on average.

Dusty had 17.5 uncontested possessions per game, and Cotchin had 16.1.
8.1 to 11.5 contested though.
I'm just pointing out why they,Ablett etc are high.

Votes per game of the top 20 (plus Astbury). I couldn't find the votes for the players that finished outside the top 20.

Miles - 13.69
Rance - 12.78
Cotchin - 12.70
Maric - 12.43
Ellis - 12.30
Deledio - 12.11
Martin - 12.09
Astbury - 11.38
Edwards - 11.22
Riewoldt - 11.00
Chaplin - 10.35
Houli - 9.91
Grimes - 9.68
Newman - 9.67
Foley - 9.56
Morris - 9.38
Grigg - 9.27
Petterd - 8.88
Griffiths - 8.56
Vlastuin - 8.00
Conca - 7.53

So Morris was 16th for votes per game and Chaplin was 11th. That seems about right.

Also the more time you spend in the midfield, the more chance you are to get the football.
Of course but really it's splitting hairs.
I thought Martin was unlucky too but Cotchin was pretty good.
Particularly in the run home.
Needs to be considered also what they are looking at.
Dustin has some considerable shortcomings defensively and he may not be meeting standards set.

Votes per game of the top 20 (plus Astbury). I couldn't find the votes for the players that finished outside the top 20.

Miles - 13.69
Rance - 12.78
Cotchin - 12.70
Maric - 12.43
Ellis - 12.30
Deledio - 12.11
Martin - 12.09
Astbury - 11.38
Edwards - 11.22
Riewoldt - 11.00
Chaplin - 10.35
Houli - 9.91
Grimes - 9.68
Newman - 9.67
Foley - 9.56
Morris - 9.38
Grigg - 9.27
Petterd - 8.88
Griffiths - 8.56
Vlastuin - 8.00
Conca - 7.53

So Morris was 16th for votes per game and Chaplin was 11th. That seems about right.
1. Bad luck with the rookie listing. No clue why Thomas was in the team gee.
2. Don't fall off your bike. Got on it as quickly as he fell from it though.
3. Achilles injury probably due to over-exertion. First prolonged injury since he was drafted.
4. Needs knees of steel.
5. Needs an entire body of steel, sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back