Toast Jack Gunston is now our most Underrated Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Has been a great pick-up.

Anyone know if he is popular with his teammates?

He never seems to have guys run to him when he kicks goals.

I think his teammates have learned to get back to their positions for the center bounce when Gunner is having a shot.

He is now 20.4 (83%) for the year which is remarkable!

Dont forget this guy.....

877546-luke-breust.jpg

Yep it's still him.

Has been a great pick-up.

Anyone know if he is popular with his teammates?

He never seems to have guys run to him when he kicks goals.

He gets along fine with teammates around his age, Lowden, Grimley, and Shiels blah blah. I browse Hawthorn players twitters when I'm super bored coz I'm a weirdo :/
I know he still has friends at Adelaide from a few articles so I know he's not an unsociable type at least.

Agreed. A big an of Jack but still has a long way to go. His performance in round 1 v Geelong will stick in my memory for a long long time. Was timid, apprehensive, non-combative - at the timr labelled him the biggest downhill skier in the business - more based on frustration than anything else.
Just waiting for him to take a game by the scruff of the neck which he certainly has the ability to do.
Still have the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when recalling that screamer he took against the Pies in 2012.
Patience is a Hawthorn virtue and with exprience and confidence will come consistency.

If Jack Gunston and Luke Breust are our most underrated players it is only by opposition supporters. I think our most underrated player by opposition supporters is Ben Stratton.
Absolutely - couldn't agree more. Unbelievable competitor who is never beaten. Rarely has his colours lowered.

He's played top class football over the last 6 weeks. His versatility around the ground has been a huge bonus.

Kicking straight helps too.:)

Love seeing the ball sail straight over the goal umpire's head. Nice to know you can go a grab a beer when one of our players is having a shot for goal and come back and expect to see the ball being bounced in the middle.

If Jack Gunston and Luke Breust are our most underrated players it is only by opposition supporters. I think our most underrated player by opposition supporters is Ben Stratton.

This.

Was going to post the same thing until I saw you beat me to it ;)

Stratts would be close to the most underrated player in the comp right now. How'd Darling go Friday night btw?? :oops:

Grizz, watching Punky develop has certainly given me a lot of pleasure. I think another strength which makes him so special is his incredible ball security when he is tackled and manages to break clear from opposition players.

Grizz, watching Punky develop has certainly given me a lot of pleasure. I think another strength which makes him so special is his incredible ball security when he is tackled and manages to break clear from opposition players.

Yep, all good. His ability to know what to do instinctively, coupled with his ability to gather the ball at full tilt, is very, very dangerous.

Grizzly called it early!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love seeing the ball sail straight over the goal umpire's head. Nice to know you can go a grab a beer when one of our players is having a shot for goal and come back and expect to see the ball being bounced in the middle.

Same, he's my 'piss' player. The guy you know you can run for a slash when he's lining up as it's as good as there.

We won't truly get an idea of how good Normy is until he's 24-26 ... needs more core strength and experience before you can truly rate him

... But the signs are promising .. VERY promising

My fav young gun forwards are

A. Cameron (this kid is a superstar)
B. Wingard (only 19!!!!!)
C. Normy (Proud to have him in the brown and gold)
D. Patton (Sad about the injuries)

I reckon his ball handling has been off most of this season - by his standard.

He had a touch of the Jamie Morrissey's in that at times he never seemed to quite have control of the ball but always ended up just gaining control at the last minute in time to dispose of it.

This season his first touch at gathering the ball has been off, not to mention his set shots but I put that down to more midfield time and more fatigue. Not sure he is straightlining with the ball enough this year.

Mark my words, if Buddy leaves there will be a full page article in the HUN before round 5 2014 spruiking the talents of Jack Gunston and how the big man leaving has actually turned into a plus with the accelerated development of the Gunner.

Why players don't look for the sharp shooter more often at the moment is beyond me, but regardless of who stays and who goes next year, Jack will become our next superstar forward.

We have a gem in Gunston, good player already, can only see him getting better with every summer in the gym, not sure how tall the lad is atm but he might even put on a couple of cm's as he develops, he could actually be an option as a legitment key forward in 4 or 5 years, very excited about this one, as I am with Breusty, Anderson, Schoey, Hill etc. We have some good ones coming through

Not sure Gunston will ever have the size to be a key forward. In a previous interview he said he has always struggled to put on weight. He's also only 193cm and I expect 85 - 90 kgs.

Will be interesting tos ee how they fit him and Tim O'Brien in the same side, given both are about the same size and built.

Shem... now that's what I think of when picturing a key forward, 196cm and 100+ kgs !!!

Not sure Gunston will ever have the size to be a key forward. In a previous interview he said he has always struggled to put on weight. He's also only 193cm and I expect 85 - 90 kgs.

Will be interesting tos ee how they fit him and Tim O'Brien in the same side, given both are about the same size and built.

Shem... now that's what I think of when picturing a key forward, 196cm and 100+ kgs !!!

how tall was dunstall? 188cm, about 95kg. gunstall is currently listed as 193 and 81. skinnier, but dunstall was a tank. jack has a 5cm height advantage and an amazing set shot.

matthew lloyd was 192/90. what about mark williams? he was 180/80. tiny in comparison.

I don't think gunstall's size will count him out as a focal point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back