Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
I want to settle a debate between myself and a Carlton mate. I think Macrae is the better player, he thinks Menzel is easily the better player.

Pretty straight forward, who do you think is better?

Other than Bontempelli and possibly Liberatore I can not see anybody else at the Bulldogs who will be better than Jack Macrae over the journey.

While Troy Menzel is already looking the goods I don't think he'll quite reach that level. Could easily end up like a Jeff Farmer, or Eddie Betts though. 400+ goal career

Macrae's output this year offensively was borderline elite, Menzel was flashy and finished well but he's not on Jack Mac's level.

Give him a season or two though, he'll be very good too.
Other than Bontempelli and possibly Liberatore I can not see anybody else at the Bulldogs who will be better than Jack Macrae over the journey.

While Troy Menzel is already looking the goods I don't think he'll quite reach that level. Could easily end up like a Jeff Farmer, or Eddie Betts though. 400+ goal career
Stringer will be better than them all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer, Boyd > any other duo I reckon!
Yeah, it's a match made in heaven. A monstrous, intelligent, straight-shooting full forward and his explosive, mobile, versatile partner.

That said, a lot of Dogs supporters think Stringer's true calling is in the midfield - I think he can rotate with the equally versatile Bontempelli, but I want him forward more often than not.

Who knows how it will all unfold. It'll just be good to watch Macrae hitting them lace out for the next decade.

Please explain what you mean, because they aren't close to the best duo.
Potential is what I mean, you'll see what I mean in a few years. If you honestly think they compare to Roughhead & Gunston or Buddy & Tippet or Westhoff/Ryder & Schulz right now (I don't) then you're taking me as a joke

Stringer is the one I'm most excited about from our list too, If he puts it all together potentially he will be better than Libba, Macrae and arguably Bonts (big IF though).

But yeah as for the topic, I'm probably biased and I'd love to have Menzel on our list, his a absolute jet but I'd take Macrae over him.

It's a fair comparison you're comparing them as talents.

Menzel wants to play midfield after playing there as a junior. Once he gets fitter, then there's no reason he can't make the transition like Daisy Thomas, Ablett, Steve Johnson and Fyfe who started as forwards.

Few have posted "Macrae easily"', yet Menz's game is arguably more complete than Macrae with his raw talent and alround game. Can't fault him bar his injury history. You know Troy that is going to kick goals and push forward to be a threat with his overhead marking. He'll spend more time up the ground than Betts and Farmer.

Menzel has Magic about him
McRae for me gets heaps of the ball but not the output Menzel does week-in, week-out

Both young and both will improve more. Different positions so not a relevant comparison

I'm not sure some know what sort of player Menzel is yet.............Closer to Stevie Johnson than Eddie Betts.
He's had his first full pre-season now, so I hope we find out.

Macrae will be a good player no doubt, but Menzel will be the match-winner.

I'm not sure some know what sort of player Menzel is yet.............Closer to Stevie Johnson than Eddie Betts.
He's had his first full pre-season now, so I hope we find out.

Macrae will be a good player no doubt, but Menzel will be the match-winner.
Yes then I was right. Stevie J has over 400 goals as well.

Yes then I was right. Stevie J has over 400 goals as well.

It's not about the goals but the type of player.
Lockett also kicked over 400 goals but he's nothing like Betts. :)

Menzel will start making his way into the midfield. He's a beautiful player to watch but just has to get his fitness up to speed.

It's not about the goals but the type of player.
Lockett also kicked over 400 goals but he's nothing like Betts. :)

Menzel will start making his way into the midfield. He's a beautiful player to watch but just has to get his fitness up to speed.
Locket kicked more than 3x400 goals
Wingard and Menzel will have similiar careers

Back