Jack Macrae vs Troy Menzel

Who is better?

• Jack Macrae

Votes: 51 70.8%
  • Troy Menzel

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure some know what sort of player Menzel is yet.............Closer to Stevie Johnson than Eddie Betts.
He's had his first full pre-season now, so I hope we find out.

Macrae will be a good player no doubt, but Menzel will be the match-winner.
I agree with a lot of what you've said, but Macrae already is a match-winner, and he's yet to develop a rounded defensive game or even capitalise on a few of his possessions (doesn't always hurt the opposition).

Check out his game against Gold Coast in Round 17 last year. 43 disposals and two critical final-quarter goals.

Menzel will win matches in flashier fashion (that's not to say he's all icing and no cake, far from it), but there's more than one way to skin a cat. He'll be the more entertaining player, though.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, but Macrae already is a match-winner, and he's yet to develop a rounded defensive game or even capitalise on a few of his possessions (doesn't always hurt the opposition).

Check out his game against Gold Coast in Round 17 last year. 43 disposals and two critical final-quarter goals.

Menzel will win matches in flashier fashion (that's not to say he's all icing and no cake, far from it), but there's more than one way to skin a cat. He'll be the more entertaining player, though.

I'm not ragging on McRae
But what matches has he won off his own boot in terms of performances?

I think that title comes with maturity, even Joel Selwood was very successful as a rookie but I never rated him as a true match winner because he had a brigade of Ablett, Bartel, Johnson, Chapman ect that would stand up down the stretch. Only towards 2010 onwards into his 4th season when he took that title of match winner

I don't see either Menzel or McRae their just yet, even though have seen very good games from both in close win but see that as more of big contribution

I'm not ragging on McRae
But what matches has he won off his own boot in terms of performances?

I think that title comes with maturity, even Joel Selwood was very successful as a rookie but I never rated him as a true match winner because he had a brigade of Ablett, Bartel, Johnson, Chapman ect that would stand up down the stretch. Only towards 2010 onwards into his 4th season when he took that title of match winner

I don't see either Menzel or McRae their just yet, even though have seen very good games from both in close win but see that as more of big contribution
I already mentioned one. Gold Coast, Round 17, 2014. He played a key role in several wins, and nearly dragged us over the line in a few losses, along with Bontempelli, Stringer etc (young guys carried the seniors in 2014). Hence his second-place B&F finish.

Of course, he's not booting the match-winning/game sealing goal every week, but the opportunity isn't always there. When games have been there to be won, he's been one of few to stand up.

Agree with the rest of your post, for the most part.

Locket kicked more than 3x400 goals
Wingard and Menzel will have similiar careers

Menzel is taller than he seems. 187/88 cm as opposed to the smalls you mentioned, where Wingard is by far the tallest @ 181cm. (Betts & Farmer are tiny)

Great. 2 match-winners then. :thumbsu:

I've watched Menzel do some cray s**t stuff at training this year already.
His kicking and ball control are amazing under training conditions. Just to get him fit and to see that on game-day now.

Great. 2 match-winners then. :thumbsu:

I've watched Menzel do some cray s**t stuff at training this year already.
His kicking and ball control are amazing under training conditions. Just to get him fit and to see that on game-day now.
He's been so much fun to watch already.

Would you want him in the midfield long term, or prefer he stays up forward? Dogs fans have been having a similar debate over Stringer. It's a nice dilemma to have (provided he's fit enough).

He's been so much fun to watch already.

Would you want him in the midfield long term, or prefer he stays up forward? Dogs fans have been having a similar debate over Stringer. It's a nice dilemma to have (provided he's fit enough).

Menzel? Midfield definitely.

Has the vision and ball control to do anything but will still need to clock up the fitness base.
At least he's mobile now as opposed to having to ball watch the past 2 years, through the pre-season.

Back