Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
http://goldcoastfc.com.au/news-and-media/news/suns-to-snare-martin/page-1/

Another strong effort by Scott Clayton and the SUNS by snaring a probable 2013 #1 Draft pick with the 2012 #2 pick!

Martin, a classy goal kicking midfielder, excelled for Western Australia during the Under 18 championships.

Most recruiters believe Martin is on par with likely No.1 draft pick Lachie Whitfield, and his acquisition will be a major boost for the SUNS.

Ready, waiting.

1_AA030712JW%20215%20BW.jpg

ONLY two of 17-year-old trio Jack Martin, Jesse Hogan and Josh Kelly can be on AFL lists by November through the Greater Western Sydney mini-draft. It's a situation they often find themselves discussing with each other.

"We talk about it a bit," Martin told AFL.com.au.

"We don't know what's happening. We ask each other who you're speaking with, and what's going on, but we have to sit back from now on and let it unfold."

Martin is considered the leading candidate to be the first picked in the mini-draft, where clubs can trade with the Giants for the two selections.

One of Hogan, a key forward, and Kelly, a classy midfielder, is likely to fill the second spot, with clubs split on which player should be ranked higher.

Others eligible for the mini-draft include Matt Crouch, who has tested at this week's NAB AFL Draft Combine, and Luke Dunstan, but they appear unlikely to be at an AFL club this year.

Knightmares review on the D&T board.

1. Jack Martin (WA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 29/01/1995
Recruited from: Claremont
Style: Dale Thomas
Player comparison:
Range: 1-10
Profile: Martin is a neat little prospect and really stands out with his great run and carry. Has great pace and uses it well through the midfield and is a guy you really notice. One thing that has impressed me with Martin is his explosive sidestep, can just explode off to the side and it isn’t just straight line pace. Probably more of an outside player but is an above average stoppage player and clearance work very reasonable for someone so slight of build which is encouraging. Has a great leap on him and can take a high flying mark and also for his size is a very strong contested mark. Has also shown nice ability to read the ball and regularly gets intercept marks off opposition kicks. After a mark is willing to move the ball on quickly and in a team with quick ball movement could really thrive. Lively tackler. Skills very neat and pin point. Finishing ability around goal good. Also really like his composure with ball in hand and generally uses it really well.

Quick as ever, SUNS. :D

Not much footage of him, unfortunately.

Harley Bennell type with a bit more of an inside game. It will be great to watch these 2 playing off each other in years to come.

Had a look around to find some footage but it's very rare, which is surprising. I'm sure I have seen more then the one video on offer before

U18 Champ statistics:

Vs. QLD: DNP.

Vs. NSW: 20D @ 70%, 11 contested, 2 clangers, 4 clearances, 7 tackles and 1.0.
BEST
Western Australia: Lynch, Garlett, Simpson, Hogan, Lowrie, Martin

Vs. Vic C: 23D @ 57%, 13 contested, 0 clangers, 9 tackles :eek: and 2.0.
The classy Martin displayed his quality with 23 disposals, two goals and nine tackles, while Hogan finished with three majors.

Both players qualify for the GWS mini-draft; a trade incentive for other AFL clubs to swap draft picks or experienced players with the Giants in exchange for a gun youngster.

Players who qualify must be ineligible to be drafted in 2012 and born between January 1 and April 30, 1995.

Gold Coast has already secured boom youngster Jaeger O'Meara in a trade with the Giants, while Adelaide pounced on Victorian product Brad Crouch last year.

Martin is regarded as a rare talent and a left foot snap from the boundary on Sunday, tucked up against the boundary line, emphasised why he will be so highly sought after.

BEST:
Western Australia: Martin, Howson, Deluca, Hogan, Shaw, Lim

Vs. SA: 15D @ 60%, 10 contested, 5 clg, 4 marks, 5 clearances, 4 tackles and 0.1

Vs. Vic Metro: 19D @ 74%, 7 contested, 2 clg, 6 marks, 5 clearances, 6 I50s, 4 R50s, 6 tackles, and 3.0.
For Western Australia, exciting GWS mini draft prospect Jack Martin (19 touches, three goals and six inside 50s) was pivotal in his state’s stunning comeback, as they cut the half-time margin of 41 points to just 16 points early in the fourth quarter.
BEST
Western Australia: Martin, Paparone, Hogan,Wilkins, Carter

What stands out to me in those game is his defensive work. Especially in the Champs, you'll hardly see any kids working both ways. Martin however, is racking up huge tackling numbers. 6 against Metro, 7 against NSW and 9 against Vic C.

I knew the kid was good, but those numbers are in excess of even what I was expecting.

And he's a year young than everyone else. :eek:

Quick as ever, SUNS. :D

Not much footage of him, unfortunately.

Harley Bennell type with a bit more of an inside game. It will be great to watch these 2 playing off each other in years to come.

Heres a bit of him playing in the GNFL grand final.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151257315560761&set=vb.174326652620352&type=2&theater

For a guy that skinny, the way he can dominate at every level that he has played at so far is extremely impressive. I think he'll be a similar player to Stephen Hill with his skill, pace and ball carrying ability - he's not as good a kick as Hill is, but he is a much better mark and is better suited to playing in front of the ball, whereas Hill's strength is running from behind the ball and recieving and running which Martin also does well.

Like Bennell, there will be a fair bit of uncertainty about him. He's very slight and apparently is a very quiet kind of guy even in a footy club environment. But the way Hunt and your club handled Bennell, I think they can bring the best out of him at AFL level.

DB-20121003201648933150-300x0.jpg

Martin has interviews lined up with Melbourne, Geelong and the Suns at this week's draft combine, too, and would happily play for any of them.

''It's exciting to think about. A few months ago, it was like a dream and now it's almost here I'm nervous about it and I just want it to happen,'' said the midfielder, whose father drove him to Perth and back once a week, an eight-hour round trip, to train with the West Australian under-18 team this year and then with the Claremont Colts. At the start of the under-18 championships, young Martin felt overwhelmed by the pace of the games; by the end of the six-week series, he was dancing around players before they had even noticed he was there.

In less than two weeks, he could be moving even further away from home. ''If I do end up getting picked, it's going to be a dream come true and a big benefit for me, going to a club so soon,'' he said. ''I have a lightly framed body, so I could build myself up with the extra year in the system without the pressure of having to go there and play in the team right away at the start.

''I could settle in, get my body right, get to know all the coaches and the players and the dietitians, and see how everything works. Not many players get to do that, most times they have to jump straight in, so to have that extra time to get my body right could be really good for me. I love the game with a passion, and if I get to go to a club there's no doubt I'll be working my hardest to make it.'

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...y-from-home-20121003-26zqi.html#ixzz28gMmWztK

Should have no issues with homesickness with Martin. Moved away from home (few hundred kms north of perth) at age 13 to chase his dream of playing in the AFL. Seems like a pretty level-headed kid, with a desire to achieve. Can't wait to see him in the Red and Yellow!

Have found a few glimpses of Jumping Jack on Youtube - starts at 2:20 in this vid - Nice leap on the boy :eek:

Jack highlights from 3:40 in the next one -

And at 2:05 in this one -

He'll have two pre-seasons and most of 2013 to get the weight on. Like Jaeger, the primary goal in 2013 won't be playing games (though he will likely play NAB Cup and some NEAFL games), it will just be getting him right for 2014.

With that said, he'll never have the body type of Swallow or O'Meara.

He'll be a much more similar build to Harley. In fact, upon draft age, Harley and Martin's height/weight is nearly identical. 185 high and 70-75kg. Harley's probably a bit bigger now, but probably won't get much heavier than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't too happy with this when i first heard it, but after a day of thinking about it and looking at those stats im far more comfortable. He has good contested possession numbers and is a strong tackler something that i previously thought he was lacking. When you compare him to the consensus pick two in Toumpas, Jack just seems that slight level above. bring on 2014:thumbsu:
I wonder if we'll use what we learnt with Harley and get Jack living with Hunt and his wife from the outset??

how often do 17yos play u18s in the national comp sunny?

Every year. The U18 squads can get 17 yo's as top-up players if they're good enough.

Jack Martin himself is actually only 30 days too young to be eligible for the ND, so he's not that much younger than the rest.

the reason ive asked is that a mates son is just 16yo and started playing,

i wouldnt have thought 16 was too late. the AFL are recruiting players from RL and all over the world from other sports in their 20's....

The 'system' starts when players are in U15's or even younger. They sort of have a local footy side they play for, work up their way into the highest division possible, and then by 15/16, if they're good enough, will be picked to join a TAC Development Squad like the Calder Canons. Again they will work their way up to first division, the best players earning State honours to play in the U18 carnival. They're drafted into an AFL club from there. That's an extremely short version of it, but lots and lots of kids miss out.

While the sport is trying to encourage kids to ditch NRL and pick up AFL, the reality is, the majority of the kids who do so won't get very far. I realize we have Karmichael Hunt, but he's a bit of a unique in terms of talent, potential and drive.

With that said, there is an increasing trend of getting mature agers like I said. Look at Dayne Zorko from the Lions. When he was good enough he was eventually playing for a NEAFL team. Constantly overlooked in the Draft until he was eventually picked up.

You could also do what Jack Martin or Jaeger O'Meara did. Just play for as many footy teams as you possibly can, smash it, get noticed by club scouts, continue to smash it in the top leagues outside of the AFL, then get drafted from there. Unfortunately you need to be a pretty rare talent for this to happen, which I guess really highlights how good these kids are to have taken such a road.

While the sport is trying to encourage kids to ditch NRL and pick up AFL, the reality is, the majority of the kids who do so won't get very far. I realize we have Karmichael Hunt, but he's a bit of a unique in terms of talent, potential and drive.

history of AFL is littered with cross code successes. a canadian RU player, a 16yo soccer player, a 23yo RL player, mountains of irishmen....all who played well after their 16th birthday.

what you dont seem to realise is that NSW and QLD have just as many AFL talented kids as VIC, SA, WA, NT....but they are playing RL not AFL. some of them would be superstars in AFL, but they may not even be playing in the national RL comp. they play park RL. they will never play a SINGLE game of AFL in their lives.

IF they converted to AFL at 16yo, they would do what all the above boys and MEN did...they would excell in AFL because they have the talent to do so.

VIC, SA, WA, are not genetically different from QLD or NSW, we just play a different sport. if they all started to play AFL at 16, VIC would not win a state of origin ever again.:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back