Delisted Jack Newnes

Remove this Banner Ad

You can, but that wasn't the role he was in. To be honest I think if memory serves it was games when Armitage was out. Also his distribution dropoff is significant when under pressure, hence he's more suited to playing off the back and setting up play.

You're kind of making the same point that I have for a while about Newnes - just leave him at HB but one with a great tank, ask him to run out from the back and provide overlap. Especially if we have someone like Wright or Geary in MF who can easily hang back and cover.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-15/utility-service

Newnes just wants to be useful

IF ST KILDA'S looking for a player to fill the all-round type of role Brendon Goddard made his own, then youngster Jack Newnes could be the man for the job.

Like Goddard, Newnes is seen as a utility that can play both ends of the ground and run through the midfield.*

Good 'lookback' article on Newnes, highlighting his role across half-back first mooted in early '13.

This obviously was followed up with his 'stepping up' year in '14.

*Everyone will be sick of me saying this by years end, but he's our version of James Kelly.

With many Fantasy Games opening up their doors for their 2015 competitions, young Jack is starting to get some attention from Fantasy coaches in what many (& particular non-Saints supporters) are calling for further improvement to his breakout year. This being with a presumed move to more midfield time and opportunity;

http://www.fantasyphantoms.com/2015/01/05/pre-season-picker-jack-newnes/

Pre-season picker: Jack Newnes

I’m not sure he will keep dual-position eligibility for more than one season though with Newnes likely to be pushed in to the engine room of the Saints in the coming years. I say this for three reasons, the first of which is the retirement of club legend Lenny Hayes. With Hayes’ departure and Leigh Montagna not getting any younger there will be more opportunities for players like Newnes and Billings to play on the ball.

The second reason I think we will see more midfield time for Newnes this season is because the Saints also have a number of players returning from injury who can play that half-back rebounding role. We saw in the back half of last season that Shane Savage was used there successfully and St Kilda should also have Jarryn Geary and Nathan Wright back from injury this season who would be ideal for that position. If they’re fit it will free up Newnes for a more advanced role.

And the third reason? He said so himself when he re-signed with the club last year. In an interview with the St Kilda website at the time Newnes said he was “definitely hoping to push more into the midfield” in the future.

“I will have to put a bit of size on again, hopefully a couple of kilos, before we come back and start our running work,” Newnes said.

“But becoming an inside midfielder would be ideal.”

By the end of the year, he won't be one of our youngsters. He'll just be one of our players. He's just about guaranteed a big break out season IMO.

He's ticking the right boxes thus far this preseason.

Just hope he gets a good run and can play the full 22 games.

In that classic 4th year where many do 'breakout'.

In his 3rd year, he became more noticeable to all Saints fans how good a player he was becoming.

His 4th year it will be the wider AFL community that acknowledges it too.

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Newnes:

He recorded the 12th biggest rise in CD ranking points of any player to play at least 10 games in the each of the past two seasons.

He spent 43% of his time in the middle - up from 24% in 2013 - and played mainly as a wingman who pushed back into defense, ranking above average for intercept possessions.

He ranked 3rd at the club for intercept possessions and ranked in the elite category for marks.

He was effective with the ball, recording a kick rating of +3.6%, and ranked second at the club for effective disposals.

He was effective with the ball, recording a kick rating of +3.6%, and ranked second at the club for effective disposals.

Thought he was one of our better kicks. Reliable most of the time with the ability to hit a fantastic stab pass at times (ala hitting Murdoch on the chest with the ball going maybe 1 metre above the ground).

Spending a bit of time on the BF Supercoach boards, I would guess that 90% of teams posted have Newnes, currently, as one of their defenders.

Now Defensive players in SC are a little down in quality from previous years, but Newnes is getting a lot of love for his soon to be 4th year, that he can possibly go from a SC ave of ~81 in '14, up to a 90+ in 2015.

Most are talking up his great showings in preseason training, esp time trials, plus that potential move into the midfield that is SC Gold.

Without wanting to place comparisons on him, David Swallow took his SC ave from ~80 to 105 in 2014 with his more permanent move into the GCS midfield - here's hoping we can see improvement like that.

He's currently in my defenders of my SC side and barring any major mishap, a good showing at NAB, will remain there.

FWIW;

WHO WILL BE YOUR CLUB'S HIGHEST SCORER?

ST KILDA

Nick Riewoldt $2.75

Jack Steven $3

Leigh Montagna $3.75

Dark Horse: Jack Newnes $14

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...211525645?nk=591f119952d7609cb5921711bd420ccb

Spending a bit of time on the BF Supercoach boards, I would guess that 90% of teams posted have Newnes, currently, as one of their defenders.

Now Defensive players in SC are a little down in quality from previous years, but Newnes is getting a lot of love for his soon to be 4th year, that he can possibly go from a SC ave of ~81 in '14, up to a 90+ in 2015.

Most are talking up his great showings in preseason training, esp time trials, plus that potential move into the midfield that is SC Gold.

Without wanting to place comparisons on him, David Swallow took his SC ave from ~80 to 105 in 2014 with his more permanent move into the GCS midfield - here's hoping we can see improvement like that.

He's currently in my defenders of my SC side and barring any major mishap, a good showing at NAB, will remain there.

FWIW;

WHO WILL BE YOUR CLUB'S HIGHEST SCORER?

ST KILDA

Nick Riewoldt $2.75

Jack Steven $3

Leigh Montagna $3.75

Dark Horse: Jack Newnes $14

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...211525645?nk=591f119952d7609cb5921711bd420ccb

i think Newnes will be a great pick , i dont think he'll be the highest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, Newnes 3rd year (2014) v Swallow 3rd year (2013) - both predominantly def/mid from my understanding;

JN v DS 3rd yr.PNG
Pretty even in most areas;

Newnes+
- Marks/game
- Uncontested Possessions
- Disposal Efficiency

Swallow+
- Contested Possessions
- Clearances
- Bounces/game
- Contested Marks (Newnes 0)

tl;dr - reckon Newnes can take the leap to produce SC ave for '15 in range of 90-95

359910.jpg

Home » Galleries » AFL 2015 Portraits - St Kilda
AFL 2015 Portraits St Kilda
Mon, 23rd Feb 2015
Image ID: 359910
Jack Newnes poses for a photograph during the St Kilda Saints 2015 team photo day at the Linen House Centre, Seaford on February 23, 2015. (Photo: Michael Willson/AFL Media)

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-03-12/saints-fantasy-preview

Saints fantasy preview

1. Jack Newnes (DEF/MID) $464,000
Newnes finished the 2014 season strongly, averaging 22 disposals and eight marks in his last six games at an average of 94. He is priced at an average of 82 and can be selected as a defender this year after gaining dual-position status. With not many top defenders to choose from this year, this future star might just be the saviour we are looking for.

Solid start for Jack in the 1st 3 NAB games;

NAB 1 v Bris;
JN NAB1.PNG

NAB 2 v Ess;
JN NAB2.PNG

NAB 3 v Haw;
JN NAB3.PNG

In our top 3 players in each match (based on AF scoring), with almost a 2:1 Kick:Handball ratio as well.

Good foundation to build on for him personally for the year ahead.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-03-30/2015-season-preview

2015 season preview

Summer standout: Jack Newnes

No matter which way you look at it, Jack Newnes’ pre-season has been outstanding.

Over the past two years, the talented young ball-winner has shaved a whopping 37 seconds off his 2km time trial personal best, matching Jarryn Geary for the title of best runner at the club.

Now part of the leadership group and an integral member of the side, Newnes is perfectly poised to improve further on his consistent 2014 campaign where he finished sixth in the best and fairest.

He is also likely to spend more time in the midfield having earned his stripes off half-back and on the wing in recent year.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...ahead-of-round-1/story-e6frf3e3-1227288018055

SuperCoach 2015: Champion Data look at the hot and not picks ahead of Round 1

Jack Newnes (Def/Mid) $436,800

Newnes is a prime breakout candidate this season with a prospective move into the midfield.

He has started on a wing at centre bounces, attending only four across the NAB Challenge, ranking No.1 at the club for effective kicks, uncontested possessions, second for disposals and third for tackles.

Newnes had an overall disappointing game - 7k, 7hb, 3m, 3t, 5FA

However, he still had;

- 2nd most cont possessions for us - 9 (Steven - 10)
- 3rd most clearances - 4 (Schneider, Steven - 5, Dunstan -4)
- 2nd best Disposal efficiency - 92.9% (Roberton - 100%)

(http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2015/1/stk-v-gws)

The big killer to his game, apart from having 6 less disposals than 2014 ave, was the 5x frees against and the 50m penalty.

Kicking that point, when we desperately need the goal, didn't help his cause either.

Watched him a lot, being in my SC team & also his advocate here on BF.

Got to plenty of contests, but just seemed to either be on the wrong side or just that 1-2m from where he may have got more involved (quick handball or tackle).

Still bullish on his year, despite the rd1 hiccup.

Will remain underrated by many non-Saints supporters still though this year, I believe.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...st-kilda-rebuild/story-fnp04d70-1227291205759

Leigh Montagna rates the Saints’ youngsters.

JACK NEWNES, 22

“He is stepping up and gradually improving every year. He will play more midfield time and will keep polishing up his game. He is tough, wins the ball, has a good head on his shoulders. He is probably going to play a little bit of wing because we have got a lot of inside mids, so he will be that wingman who can run the lines, get a lot of ball. He needs to be an important player and he knows that and I think he will.”

Better game for Jack v Suns at Metricon - 23d (16k, 7hb), 12m, 3t

A turn around from his 1st game v GWS with only 4x cont possessions (vs 9) & 60.9% disposal efficiency (v 92.9%).

Provided a good link up in play, taking 12 marks for the game (equal high with Riewoldt).

Would probably be disappointed with his second half after he came storming out of the blocks in the first half (looks like he may have ran with Martin in 2nd half?)

One thing I have noticed, over both weeks, is that he is always putting in efforts (such as chasing & pressure on opposition ball carrier), that the stats don't seem to pick up.

All in all, an improved solid->good performance, but I'm sure Jack would be pushing for a 4 qrtr effort next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back