Delisted Jack Newnes

Remove this Banner Ad

I have met him a few times now and he is just a born leader. He is a very serious kid but is a great ambassador for the club he just has something that says captain about him. The other guy I reckon could do it is Mav Weller, he has a great attitude and similar qualities to Newnes.

Since the bye, has been ave;

22.4 disp
6.9 marks
3.8 tackles
4.1 I50's
101 SC pts
93.8 AF pts

-/-/-/-

9th in SC defenders for 2015 thus far;

JN SC rd20.PNG

Been a solid selection for those who have held since rd1.

Newnes takes out Saints' time trial in stifling conditions

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-09/newnes-takes-out-saints-time-trial-in-stifling-conditions

JACK Newnes' progression into one of St Kilda's key midfielders took another step on Monday morning when he took out the club's first time trial of the pre-season.

Newnes was the best performed runner in a field of first to fourth-year players, who ran a 3km time trial around Albert Park Lake before a second 2km time trial was sprung on them.

After developing as a half-back in his first two seasons, Newnes has established himself on a wing and is slowly adding the size required to become an inside midfielder when required.

The durable Saint, who has not missed a game in the past two seasons, lifted his averaged clearances (2.05) and contested possessions (6.73) to career highs in 2015.

Started suffering from withdrawals a bit lately and find myself putting on a quarter or two from a game where we played well and I have to say Newnes is seriously underrated by foot. His kicks hit the target and they're not just easy little sideways kicks to players in 20m of space. Bullets that force a player to lead to open space, picking out 1 saint in between 3 opposition players, over the back to players leading into space. People ask is he a mid/winger/HB, doesn't matter just as long as he's on the field because he's quality.

Started suffering from withdrawals a bit lately and find myself putting on a quarter or two from a game where we played well and I have to say Newnes is seriously underrated by foot. His kicks hit the target and they're not just easy little sideways kicks to players in 20m of space. Bullets that force a player to lead to open space, picking out 1 saint in between 3 opposition players, over the back to players leading into space. People ask is he a mid/winger/HB, doesn't matter just as long as he's on the field because he's quality.

Now needs to find another 4-5 possessions a game (20/game to 25/game) to make the footy world take notice.

Most Fantasy players/coaches realised after this season that he was a bit of a hidden gem, with an eventual 90+ SC pts ave for the year (98.7 ave after the bye).

Hopefully he takes that extra step & shows the wider football public how good he is.

Then there is his leadership........

(All this, with ND pick 37) :thumbsu:

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Now needs to find another 4-5 possessions a game (20/game to 25/game) to make the footy world take notice.

Most Fantasy players/coaches realised after this season that he was a bit of a hidden gem, with an eventual 90+ SC pts ave for the year (98.7 ave after the bye).

Hopefully he takes that extra step & shows the wider football public how good he is.

Then there is his leadership........

(All this, with ND pick 37) :thumbsu:
Fingers crossed he takes another step forward.
He had plenty of encouragement from his advocate this year that's for sure!

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jack Newnes is more than twelve months into his role as a formal leader at St Kilda and feels much more settled in where he fits into the leadership sphere at the Saints.

The 22-year-old midfielder has set the pace this pre-season as one of the leading runners on the track, finishing up the pointy end of the time-trials, to lead by example with his dedication to his craft.

As the youngest member included in last year’s leadership group, and this year for that matter, Newnes admits 2015 taught him a great deal although he still has plenty more to give in terms of leadership.

“It was a great experience for me last year, but this year I feel a little bit more settled and feel that I can add a bit more to the group. Game wise I feel like I can really step it up and take my leadership to the next level,” Newnes told saints.com.au following the Saints’ leadership group announcement.

“Yeah I’m really happy, (to be included for a) second year running. It’s great to get the support of the group to be in a role such as that one. I’m really excited to take my game to another level this year and try and drive the group and make a difference.”

The consummate professional has been one of the best performers during the summer months, making a statement with his aerobic feats, as well as adding some more weight to his frame to help improve his inside game.

“Similar to previous years just putting on a bit of weight (has been the focus). I’ve managed to put on a few kilos and still get a little bit fitter,” Newnes said.

“I’ve been playing a little bit in the midfield so hopefully I can sneak in there a couple of times this year even though it’s pretty tough to get in there.

“I’ll probably still play a lot of wing, but I’ll try and get a bit more inside, just keep improving my game, get a bit more offensive and try and hit the scoreboard also.”

With a plethora of midfield options fighting for a spot inside Alan Richardson’s engine room, Newnes says the fierce competition for spots will be highly beneficial for the Saints pursuit up the ladder this season.

“It’s huge. It’s the only way the team will go forward. We’ve got almost a full list for training now so it’s very, very competitive for spots and blokes going hard. So I think for everyone’s improvement it’s going to be huge,” he said.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-02-10/a-year-on-newnes-benefiting-from-leadership-exposure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jack Newnes has capped of a career best year with a 5th place finish in the Stkilda B&f. It's Jacks first top 10 finish since being with the club.

In 2016 he's had:
22 goals
23.3 disposals
14 kicks
9.3 handballs
4.4 marks
3.0 tackles
2.9 rebound 50s
4.7 inside 50s
6.0 Score involvements
3.8 intercept possessions
409 metres gained
75% disposal efficiency

When watching on TV its hard to appreciate how much work he does on gameday, makes every contest he can no matter his chances of winning it. Has become a real leader of the of the club and gives his heart and soul each week.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jack Newnes

Cheers 12Chill for the brilliant work again this season!

This video highlights how smart of a footballer Jack Newnes really is, the lateral kicks spotting up teammates in the open, the ability to get to free space, the quiet achiever would be a very suitable replacement for Roo as captain.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jack Newnes Season Review:

"With minimal fuss and fanfare, St Kilda midfielder Jack Newnes established himself as one of the best wingmen in the competition this season, continuing his incremental year-on-year rise to produce his best season to date.

The hard-working 23-year-old played all 22 games in 2016 – extending his streak to 66 games in succession – compiling an impressive body of work, which culminated in a fifth-place finish in the Trevor Barker Award – the best result of his short career."

http://m.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-27/season-review-jack-newnes

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jack Newnes Season Review:

"With minimal fuss and fanfare, St Kilda midfielder Jack Newnes established himself as one of the best wingmen in the competition this season, continuing his incremental year-on-year rise to produce his best season to date.

The hard-working 23-year-old played all 22 games in 2016 – extending his streak to 66 games in succession – compiling an impressive body of work, which culminated in a fifth-place finish in the Trevor Barker Award – the best result of his short career."

http://m.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-27/season-review-jack-newnes

Destined to be the one always mentioned as 'most underrated player' type.

Just keeps on keeping on.

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
While Jonathon Patton was dominant inside 50 and Jack Viney and Toby Greene went head-to-head with Jaeger O’Meara and Stephen Coniglio around the ball, one defining contest sticks out for St Kilda Recruiting and List manager, Tony Elshaug.

In a crucial moment in the second half of an under-18 game between Western Australia and Vic Metro in 2011, Jack Newnes was opposed to the highly rated Dayle Garlett inside defensive 50, where an act of desperation prevented a certain goal.

Months later, Elshaug, in his first year in the recruiting department read out Newnes name with the club's third selection at pick No. 37, the exact same pick St Kilda utilised on another Northern Knights/Marcellin College product 10 years earlier in Leigh Montagna.

“There was a contest against Dayle Garlett that still sticks in my mind to today. I can still picture it vividly,” Elshaug told saints.com.au ahead of Friday night’s National Draft in Sydney.

“He was playing on a highly talented player in Garlett and the ball came in and just his ability to defend him and spoil him and harass him, hit the deck and bounce back to get on a second and then third effort, it was quite an inspiring contest.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-11-23/recruiting-tales-jack-newnes

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-12-20/newnes-locked-in-now-eyeing-future-success

"Just like the way he goes about his football, St Kilda wingman Jack Newnes has swiftly dealt with one task – adding a further two seasons to his time at the Saints – and has now moved on to the next job at hand.

Despite having a year to run on his previous deal, the 23-year-old added another two years ahead of the Christmas break, becoming the third young Saint to recommit to the club until the end of 2019 in the space of three weeks.

After playing every game for a third year in succession, Newnes finished fifth in the Trevor Barker Award, averaging 23.3 disposals, 4.7 inside 50s and 3.0 tackles per game. Now, the emerging Saints leader is eyeing off being part of something special."

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
His game against the Dogs must have been close to his best game for us. 35 touches and a goal to go with 7 tackles.

Just gets it done week in week out.

Take out the Sydney game which he was taken out of after 3 touches and his average rises to 26.2 per game. I thought 23.9 felt a bit low. Has only gone under 25 once in his last 6 (full) games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back